33 replies to this topic

#1 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

All, thought I would record some progress, mainly for myself so I don't commit to a path and then pull the pin. Hope it's not too dull. Background Have played golf for 30 years, I am worse now than when I was 16. Believe I am only hanging onto single figures by the skin of my teeth. Have had less than a dozen lessons in my life, have an appalling short game but strike it reasonably well. The Proposition I am back home and working slightly less so have some limited time to practice. Am going to commit to a series of lessons and do some short game work, we now have a good facility at the club. The Goal More consistency at a better level, avoid blowing to 12 which is as certain as death and taxes if I remain on the present path. If I can stay on 6-9 this year, I will be happy. Nevertheless if some minor rebuild is required a temporary move higher is acceptable. Never collated stats however will do so to try and determine where if anywhere improvement is happening. Any comments always welcome, sledges are OK, will be no worse than what I get from the boys anyway.

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39323 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

You suck. Sorry Malv - just trying to avoid the rush, buddy :-) Good luck with it - my only advice, as a mid 20s hacker - is to enjoy it regardless. And I understand that the better you get the harder that becomes - weight of expectation, and all. I hope it all works out so that you're happy to be out there.

#3 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Just don't throw double 6 buddy and you will be fine ;-D Look forward to reading the progress.

#4 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10276 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

Regaining that which has been lost! Tough but not impossible. Look forward to progress reports and best of luck. Surely you have the ability and just lack game time right?

#5 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

With an hour or two of proper short game practice a week you'll easily hang on to single figures if you're there already.

#6 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Good luck mate with the journey. You've already got it sorted - it's all about the short game. With your solid ball striking on the full swing it will just come down to your scoring game as to whether you post a good score or not.

#7 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

BCup, over to your former neck of the woods in a couple of months. have a game at Riviera organised as well as Pasatiempo and California GC. Working on Pebble at the moment. Tim, trust you are right, you would lose your lunch watching me chip at the moment.

#8 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

25/4/12 Stableford, white tees. Strong Souwester blowing. 25 Points Description ; Woeful GIR: 5 Putts : 36 (3 three putts) Fairways: 7/14 Sand saves: 0/2 Shanks : 1 Hazards : 2 First lesson next Wednesday

#9 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Details of the shank please Malv, love hearing about them.

#10 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Usual stuff mate. Had to chip out after a drive drifted on the breeze, had 125m in to a back pin into the SW breeze, tried to hit a 3/4 7iron so I wasn't hitting it too hard. Hit it, said to the boys where is it, finally got a sight as it was squirming its way towards the hazard. Sigh, shoulder slump, club back in back and shuffled off towards the hazard.

#11 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

28/4/12, MGC, white tees, Par, cracking day, morning tee time so very little wind. Score -4 Description: Improved but still not good. Didn't buy the beers but got smoked front, back and match in the 4ball. GIR: 6/18 Putts: 34 (2 three stabs) Playable tee shots: 11/14 Sand Saves: 1/4 Shanks: Nil Hazards : Nil Flubbed Chips: 1 Playing Long Reef today, afternoon tee time, wind going to be up. Edit: Comp cancelled in the afternoon, too windy, we played 9, wind blew my mates back into a water hazard, he wasn't happy

#12 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

02/05/12, Lesson at Narrabeen with Dave Saunders, highly recommended. I had got into some very bad habits which meant whilst I was still able to strike it OK, balls were going everywhere. I either got stuck inside and hit it right or managed to get around and hit handsy flip hooks. My hands and the effectively the butt end of my club ended up a long way from my body. Dave got me back on path. The interesting observation was that the big swing was also manifesting itself in my poor chipping, this has been rectified inside an hour. With subdued confidence I headed out for the afternoon stableford. Score 31 points Description: Massive improvement marred only by an atrocious putting performance. Coonfidence level is way up, there is light in the tunnel. GIR: 10/18 including 8/9 on the back nine FW: 11/14 Putts : 38 Sand Saves : 1/3 Shanks: Nil

#13 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

05/05/12 : Cracking Sydney day, wind still out of the SW, Medal, blue tees. Greens hard and fast. Score: 85/77 Description: Better than it looks, played well, hit one bad shot the front nine into a hazard and had a triple, on the back I hit a wrong ball for a triple. Significantly more confident over the ball. Our hardest hole was straight into the souwester. Had 180m to a back pin, with hazard left. In the old days I had to fan one right with the risk of a hook a big chance. Took 3iron, fired it straight at the pin, finished about 25 left of the hole, very satisfying. Stats: GIR: 9/18 Putts: 36 FWs: 9/14 Up and downs : 2/6 Shanks: 0

#14 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Description: Better than it looks I agree with you, when I have a score that is similar to the one above it is not disconcerting. Some of the shots in a round like this may have been poor and made a big number on a hole for a double or triple bogie. Invariably in these rounds, even if I don' know the exact score the mental math has me still making the effort to make up the extra strokes and get a par round. Yet I have played with many golfers who when posting a number like this are not pleased at all. That is something understandable yet you take the positive out of the experience and acknowledge the negative I think which is similar to my mindset. At the minute back to a 12 handicap for me so having a comparison thread like yours is a bonus Malvern

#15 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Tal, If I don't start turning potential scores into actual we can start comparing our games as we will both be off 12 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users