• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 Hacksalot

Hacksalot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Has anybody else heard that the 2nd course at St Andrews beach will be starting soon?

#2 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1437 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Nope

#3 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Wasn't part of the site sold in the liquidation?

#4 Hawkers2013

Hawkers2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2518 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

I can't see it ever getting built. Will cost a bomb couldn't be funded unless there is a shitload of associated residential development to pay the bills and as far as I know there isn't a lot of land that would be usable and spare on the site. plus the peninsula already has a serious over supply of places to play now.

#5 SupaGreen

SupaGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

I heard about this rumour on the weekend from someone who has been asked to put a bore in for them. Apparently a guy bought it and has got a group of mates to put in money to help get the course built. Not sure if they are using the Tom Doak original design

#6 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

No Soup For You, Next!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12210 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Heard a short while ago, that some of the houses sitting empty on the site of the 2nd course (beside the driveway as you head into the course ....... are now going to be back on the market.

#7 trouble1980

trouble1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

it is being built very soon. the owners of the land have just recently appointed someone to be the construction superintendent

#8 Hacksalot

Hacksalot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I heard that Ross perrett has done the design and it is going to local council for approval, who is the construction superintendent trouble1980?

#9 Mongrel

Mongrel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

SAB is a great course but I doubt the owners have ever made a dollar out of it so I can't see how a second course will do any better with lots of golfing options nearby.

#10 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

If they go ahead and build the second one I would fear for the future of the whole place. I dont see a second course bringing in more punters when the first is outstanding and it struggles for numbers as it is. Anyone got ideas as to why it struggles so much? Is it just too difficult for the punters to handle most of the time? Too hard a walk? The green fees are pretty standard for down there. I know the clubhouse is hit but really who cares?

#11 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

No Soup For You, Next!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12210 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Bernie, I think as a complete golf day out, it struggles to match the other courses in the area for a couple of reasons. The course layout does not help, as there is no pitstop in between 9's, whereas all the other courses, Moonah, Dunes, etc have a rest stop half way around. At St.AB, once you leave the clubhouse that's pretty much it for the next four or five hours, and the drinks cart is not always out and about. While the guys in the pro shop always do as much as possible to make you feel welcome, it is not the sort of inviting environment where you're likely to spend any amount of time either pre or post round. The course itself is great, yet if you're walking, it's a long hike up hill and down dale, and in between holes, and the hillclimb after finishing the 18th really just finishes you off. The layout too, while I enjoy it, tends to be a pretty solitary environment, in that you don't tend to see too many others on course, eg, you're not really passing people coming the other way at any stage. Then there is the ever present wind and sometimes rain, which tends to add to the fatigue factor, so by the time you do get to the end, you're pretty well knackered and just looking for either a good lie down, or a hot shower to warm up. With the clubhouse being something that is less than glamorous, it's membership numbers (Gunnamatta Golf Club) I would suspect are quite low in comparison to the other courses, so that you don't have a bar full of people to sit and chat with after the game. If you just like you're golf though, its a cracker of a course, but if you want the whole club "environment", then you'll naturally look elsewhere in the area I guess. Its a shame really, as I really enjoy playing there, and you can always have a good laugh with the guys down there.

#12 Hagler

Hagler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Recently played the course for the first time - what a beauty! I think I like the actual course more than the Dunes, which for me has been a long time favourite. But I must admit as I was playing St Andrews, I was frequently thinking how hard it would be to walk the course. That one issue will keep me from playing it more often.

#13 totalhacker1982

totalhacker1982

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I love the course. (Mind you after walking it recently that was not necessarily my sentiment when I was dragging my buggy back up to the clubhouse after the 18th). The not coming back in after 9 annoys me, but Moonah Legends also doesn't have a loop back to the clubhouse after 9 (granted they have a more regular drinks cart) I think part of the beauty of the course is the solitude. Moonah Legends and the Dunes both have little stretches that feel like you're playing golf on Bourke Street

#14 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

Bernie, I think as a complete golf day out, it struggles to match the other courses in the area for a couple of reasons.

The course layout does not help, as there is no pitstop in between 9’s, whereas all the other courses, Moonah, Dunes, etc have a rest stop half way around.

At St.AB, once you leave the clubhouse that’s pretty much it for the next four or five hours, and the drinks cart is not always out and about. While the guys in the pro shop always do as much as possible to make you feel welcome, it is not the sort of inviting environment where you’re likely to spend any amount of time either pre or post round.

The course itself is great, yet if you’re walking, it’s a long hike up hill and down dale, and in between holes, and the hillclimb after finishing the 18th really just finishes you off.

The layout too, while I enjoy it, tends to be a pretty solitary environment, in that you don’t tend to see too many others on course, eg, you’re not really passing people coming the other way at any stage.

Then there is the ever present wind and sometimes rain, which tends to add to the fatigue factor, so by the time you do get to the end, you’re pretty well knackered and just looking for either a good lie down, or a hot shower to warm up.

With the clubhouse being something that is less than glamorous, it’s membership numbers (Gunnamatta Golf Club) I would suspect are quite low in comparison to the other courses, so that you don’t have a bar full of people to sit and chat with after the game.

If you just like you’re golf though, its a cracker of a course, but if you want the whole club “environment”, then you’ll naturally look elsewhere in the area I guess.

Its a shame really, as I really enjoy playing there, and you can always have a good laugh with the guys down there.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...
Birdie – “The ball of many miles”,St. Andrews Beach 2011
Longdrive Champion ’11-Growling Frog
Longdrive Champion A Grade ’12-Waterford Valley
Shot 69, using 68’s – 26/12/11.

Yeah good points Gaz - I really enjoy the track but it is a toughish walk and the end just brains you! I dont really care about the clubhouse etc. As long as the beer is cold and I have a place to park my arse then I am happy. But I can understand a lot of others prefer more than that.

#15 madgolferss

madgolferss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

i don't think a second course is on the radar. I'm hearing the first one simply isn't viable. it is a shame. great layout but simply too many negatives to make it fly. apparently there was a course on the same site in the 1970s. and that closed down. looks like the current operation might suffer the same fate. hate to say it, but i think that parcel of land was just not mean't to be for a golf course. bring back the sheep????

#16 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2149 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

I doubt a 2nd course, are they making much of a profit with the 1st, doubtful? Oversupply of courses in the region means a 2nd course will be a recipe for insolvency.

#17 Hacksalot

Hacksalot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Shanks, 2nd course has nothing to do with the current course, it's still in planning stages and if anybody knows the local council down there, it could be a long time before planning is approved. Ocat I have heard who the super is and that he will not resign his current position until planning has been approved.

#18 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2149 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Brave man indeed to taking on this venture in this economic climate and with the over supply in the market of good courses down that way. He must have very deep pockets or be stupid, probably a combination of both. Will it be private or public access?

#19 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1437 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Brave man indeed to taking on this venture in this economic climate and with the over supply in the market of good courses down that way.

He must have very deep pockets or be stupid, probably a combination of both.

Will it be private or public access?

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Very true. In saying that, I reckon they are kidding themselves charging $86 weekend/$66 midweek. Charge $30-$40 mid week and $40-$50 weekend and the place will be full most days, which then puts the pressure on The Dunes, Eagle Ridge and Moonah Links.

#20 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:08 AM

Brave man indeed to taking on this venture in this economic climate and with the over supply in the market of good courses down that way.

He must have very deep pockets or be stupid, probably a combination of both.

Will it be private or public access?

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Very true.

In saying that, I reckon they are kidding themselves charging $86 weekend/$66 midweek.

Charge $30-$40 mid week and $40-$50 weekend and the place will be full most days, which then puts the pressure on The Dunes, Eagle Ridge and Moonah Links.

Titleist 910D3 Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 910Fd Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 909H Adilda Voodoo
Titleist 710 AP1 Nippon NS Pro 105T
Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
Pro V1x

Yeah seems odd when you consider (and I dont know them accurately) the lack of players on the course in comparison to the competition. And lets face it, it is probably one of the lesser known tracks also so charging less would be the smart option IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users