#31 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hey VC - its awesome that AB uses the hybrid, but also pretty sure that if he has something that isnt quite working in his bag, he will do what he can to fix it. But by geezus 400m plus drive is insane. In answer to your first question, high hands at the top of the swing and then the arms and hands would drop down on an inside path with a shallow approach and angle of attack. I had a mate join me at the range after the lesson yesterday and spent another 2 hours or so hitting balls to remember the feel of the correct positions. Was barely hitting the balls to begin with and started to get decent compression and connection towards the end.

#32 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

OK - little update whilst I'm sitting here eating my lunch. Ducked out to the local range yesterday to hit a few balls. Can't believe how difficult it can get to change your swing! Noticed that I slipped into my old ways whenever I was getting tired and wanted to muscle the ball. Started off with the wedges and found it difficult to launch the balls properly and impact was lacklustre at best. Getting proper upper body rotation but having trouble getting the arms on plane and was flipping the hands and hitting duck hooks. Left me scratching my head for a while until it dawned on me that I was coming in too shallow and was jamming my arms behind my hips and didn't allow enough clearance to fire through. By the time I discovered this, I had already bashed my way through 80 of 100 balls and starting to feel a little weary. Bit the bullet and bought another half bucket and found that I was starting to strike the balls a lot cleaner and getting a soft draw as opposed to a full hook. So starting with the wedges, I worked my way through the set and felt pretty comfortable with every club. I think that I now have my distances for each club sorted being: 60 deg lob - 65 m 54 SW - 80 m Gap Wedge - 95 m PW - 110 m 9 - 120 m 8 - 130m 7 - 140m 6 - 150m 5 - 160m 4Hy - 175 m 2Hy - 200 m 3W - 230 m Driver - 250 m

#33 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3792 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

Because of my left arm dominance, and strong left grip (resulting from my misguided correction from early slicing) I get jammed up when my hands are at waist height and instead of rotating the shoulders through impact, I hyper-extend my left side and drop the right shoulder and rip my top half backwards in an attempt to stay on plane and hit the ball. Great description of your coaching session. Sitting here it looks to me that there was F@ck All wrong, except for the bit above. Took my coach twelve months to get my swing corrected. First off I had to get fit enough and my body supple enough to be able to swing a club. First session jan 2010 identified swing plane fault as only thing my body could comfortably change. August had coaching and got drill to begin to build on body improvement, had lessons through the year on short game and putting. Dropped 6 hcp strokes to 13. Jan 2012 body supple enough for stance and swing rebuild. Took me 48 hours to be totally comfortable with the rebuilt swing. OK – little update whilst I’m sitting here eating my lunch. Ducked out to the local range yesterday to hit a few balls. Can’t believe how difficult it can get to change your swing! Noticed that I slipped into my old ways whenever I was getting tired and wanted to muscle the ball. My only suggestion is to spend more time on doing the drills GG than hitting balls on the range. That is what set me up for the major change in January 2012. In your case the change will be a lot less of an imposition and two weeks of doing the drills each day and you will not even notice any difficulty in stopping the old habits.

#34 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hey Talart. I do the drills everyday and found that although my cheat and shoulder rotation was improving through impact to the finish position, my hnds were still drifting off plane. One other still that Bryan had me doing was placing two balls one fore and the other aft of my ball placement in line with the direction in which I was hitting the ball. I was to swing my club without hitting the other two balls. the idea was to shallow out the swing plane as a whole and stop me from the hyper extension on the left where I would try and swing the club along the line if you get my drift. I had somehow gotten into my head that the only way to hit a straigt ball was to hit it down the line. Couldn't get on to Cypress lakes or the vintage tomorrow so going to play Hunter Valley. Never seen the course so will see how I go. Will report back on Sunday as I have a wedding after the round of golf and doubt that I could write anything of note tomorrow.night.

#35 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3792 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

C'mon you have not lived til you have written and posted on line after a wedding. Walking through the door somersaulting over furniture to get to the computer because you have just had an alcohol inspired epiphany about something that if you dont do it right now will be forgotten forever.

#36 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Ha ha. Got around.in 4 hrs so here goes. Talart , I don't drink but paved the way so that I could be slack. Played stableford today and scored 25. Whilst this is a poor showing, the one thing that has irked me has been my driver swing. Started off wayward but got progressively better as the day progressed. Was bombing it 250_260 consistently straight by the end. Kept.flicking back between old swing and new swing which played havoc with my scoring irons but pretty confident that its just a matter of time before it starts to sort itself out. Realistically couldn't expect a water tight performance a week after swing correction. Flushed a few suffed a few. Lets see what next week brings. Putting was a little haphazard as the greens were very inconsistent. hunter valley whilst nice, suffers a little from.weekend hacker's syndrome. Divots and pitch marks unrepaired.

#37 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

Take It or leave it....I'm no pro but I have 5years under my belt of making similar mistakes....I had a lesson just before an important game and it destroyed me! 16 points. The best advice I saw was from Steve bann...he said if u r going to have mechanical thoughts while hitting a ball then don't worry about where it goes just that u got the feeling in the swing that u were looking for. Hence don't have mechanical thoughts whilst on the course playing golf unless its practice, thAts what the practice swing is for. So work on the mechanical thoughts in the practice swing then just step up and swing away, u can then only worry about alignment and aim. When u see the pro's practice swings theyre always Mimi swings working on a small part or section of the swing. If u do all the drills and practice swings on the range and at home ur body will grasp the concept and do it naturally. Best of luck mate ur in good hands.

#38 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Cheers deep. I haven't quite been able to program the right side release into my natural swing rythm as yet and this confusion between the old swing and new swing caused a few mishits. Today was a very social play with cousin of the groom and father of the bride. it takes time and practise and am patient to wait this through for another.month to see what fruit it may bear, or what skeletons it may unearth. Whatever the case, the journey is.interesting enough to keep me.coming back. Chasing that perfect round although nigh on impossible, does not waver my resolve one iota. I will get this.

#39 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

After some heavy reading and heavier thought afterwards, thanks to the why you started playing golf, personal par and ask a coach threads, I have realised that I have yet to set goals for myself. I don't want to just set handicap goals as it's too basic and is not reflective of all the nuances of this great game we call golf. besides, not quite understanding where my shortcomings are makes it hard to practice perfectly - just to quote some smart guy online. So where am I now? Current hcp - according to golf shot its 13.8. Will update this when I get an official one. Driving - 37.6 % hit , 40.7% left, 21.6% right GIR - 26.2% 8.4% scrambling - don't quite understand this stat. 0% sand saves. 1.9 avg putt per hole. 2.07 avg putt per par Scores by par 3 - 4.1, 4 - 5.3, 5 - 6.3. Scoring in % - eagles 0, birdies 4, par 26, bogey 36, 2 bogies + 36 Seems I don't hit enough fairways? This also affects my ability to hit GIRs. Putting needs improvement but acceptable at this level of my game. Short term goals - hit more fairways! Lol. Guess I will have to park the big dog and use the 3 wd more. Yes AB Uncut - you are right. Want to see how this affects gir stats in the coming months. Learning some new movements is going to make this more challenging than it initially seems. Set goal at 60%

#40 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

Nice work mate, I too struggle with fairways and then gir's my rounds have generally been if I hit gir I par the hole if I miss I bogey the hole as my up and down stats r roughly 0% so I will also set a goal of 60% fairways and 60% girs and 30% up and downs. I'll keep my stats too and post them here. I only play once a month and my next game is at the end of the month so u will have to wait.

#41 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39837 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

You taking over GG's thread DD? Posting your stats here?

#42 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

The more the merrier I reckons. Interested to see how you go DD but in all honesty, once a month bash isn't going to help your cause though right? What's stopping you from getting out for a hit?

#43 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

To clarify GG scrambling is the % of times when you miss the green in regulation but get down in par or better ie getting up and down. It is a particular stat I'm focusing on heavily at the moment. By the way, loving reading your thread gg. Great stuff.

#44 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Have you logged on to your stats page on golfshot.com? It shows a little bit more detail and might be easier to read them all together. I've learnt stats are only as good as the way you decipher them. If you haven't already, look at getting the golfshot sister app "golfplan" it takes your stats and synchs them and creates a weekly practice plan with videos and tips. Worked very well for me when I got it. Just an idea.

#45 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8929 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks bushy. So That's what scrambling is. If I hit 26% GIR, hit par or better 30% (26% pars, 4%birdies) then this target of improving fairways hit should have a flow on effect to my GIR and scrambling game. So what are considered good benchmarks for these stats. Fairways hit GIR Scrambling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users