#16 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thanks Kiwi. Pretty sure that I will hook up with someone from the west before long. Ha ha Spartan - whats the use of putting pen to paper if I didnt either stir up some controversy or provide some laughs for a lazy arvo read? Madam - saw that thread and read it in envy, but alas, I cannot attend as its my little boy's first birthday. I believe that its considered bad form to abandon the boy for golf.

#17 Pozza

Pozza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hey Ghetto, If you're ever available on a weekday Vinum Coupe and I sometimes get together and play at Sunshine.

#18 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Weekdays are a no goer - got this annoying thing called work pozza. Maybe during daylight saving when the sun sets later.

#19 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

UPDATE! yer..... erm..... Fooked it right up today. Shot a 103 at Whittlesea- gotta love this game we call golf eh PB one week, to biggest blow out I have had in 18 months. Captain Shank decided to join me today. Shanked no less then 6 balls today, which opened the "dodgey scramble shots" account. Duck Hook sent 3 balls swimming. Green side chipping was woeful. Only thing that worked well was the putting. Off the tee 35% of fairway hits 57% left miss 8% right miss 26.2% GIR 8.4% scrambling 31putts for the day. This doesnt tell the whole story as it was the 2nd, 3rd,4th shots which killed me. Was nervous before tee off and couldnt shake the doubt for the entire round. Send the cops if you dont see another post from me within a couple of hours as I am going to find solace in my garage with the car running and a vacuum hose... LOLZ

#20 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

I think you got game mate, just gotta get the stuff between the ears in the right place you'll be right man. I hate the jitters on the tee box but if you let it get to you like myself, you'll end up throwing your driver in the creek. And the shanks... I know exactly what you mean... lol.

#21 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Cheers twopiece, ya gotta see me hit before you give me any sort of credit lol. I could be trolling the **** outta this here place eh? Thanks for the kind words - just sucks that control of the grey matter is what matters and requires mental strength, which of course is locked in the grey matter. IT guys would call it a redundant loop. I am redundant and whole lotta loopy. Ha ha.

#22 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

OK - pretty excited really, as I have my first ever lesson booked in with Brian Ferguson at sunshine Golf Course. Will report back tomorrow after I have my lesson with my list of things to work on. Hopefully I will find the solution to my driving woes. Snap hooks just arent fun anymore with OOB and water hazards on my left. Funny thing is that I can slam my 3wd straight down the fairway approx 235-240m and can hit it fairly consistently. Just need to figure out how I can achieve this with my 3wd and replicate it for my driver.

#23 AB_Uncut

AB_Uncut

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Why not just hit 3wd off the tee?

#24 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Pride wont allow me and lets face it, 240m ain gunna win no Long Drive comp and I am in training for the Patterson river OOM event. Seriously though, to use the 3 only, I could possibly drop 2-3 strokes a round however, it would be admitting defeat and leave a glaring question mark over my driving. It could be as simple as equipment mis-match for my swing or an inherent swing fault but whatever the issue is, I can't let it go un-explored. At the moment, I might hit 40% dead straight or with a soft draw and the remaining of the misses are duck hooks, strong draw (30 m drift to the left) with some blocks out right that fly dead straight.

#25 AB_Uncut

AB_Uncut

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Pride doesn't make golf scores either. shooting the lowest round has more significance than winning one shot competition. Better to be 240 down the fairway than chipping out 60% of the time. That is wasting strokes. At least being in play you have 100% views of approach shots. Can't make a score from the tee, can ruin one though. Good luck GG. Hopefully pride doesn't cost you too many shots in the future.

#26 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Pride wont allow me and lets face it, 240m ain gunna win no Long Drive comp and I am in training for the Patterson river OOM event.

Seriously though, to use the 3 only, I could possibly drop 2-3 strokes a round however, it would be admitting defeat and leave a glaring question mark over my driving. It could be as simple as equipment mis-match for my swing or an inherent swing fault but whatever the issue is, I can’t let it go un-explored.

At the moment, I might hit 40% dead straight or with a soft draw and the remaining of the misses are duck hooks, strong draw (30 m drift to the left) with some blocks out right that fly dead straight.

Driver – Mizuno MP 600, 10.5 degree
3 Wood – Srixon M-steel, 15 degree
3 Hybrid – Taylormade 18 degree
4 Hybrid – Taylormade 22 degree
4-PW – Mizuno MP52’s
Cleveland Wedges
Mizuno Bettinardi Putter

You do not need to worry about pride and use a 3 Wood off the tee. Get a smaller driver I use a 380 cc Driver after realising that I get 220m on average and up to 240m without belting the ball plus have the ability to shape it as well. I also have a 400cc and 420cc drivers that I experiment with. A regular poster on this Forum and PGA Player "Rtl" (Steven Bowditch) uses a Cleveland Driver that is 420-430cc and he is long off the tee. Titliest have 405cc drivers Tour Exotics 430cc and there are many others Bank, Taylor made Ping drivers that are smaller than 460cc clubs. You can still be cracking 240m drives with even better accuracy and less effort with smaller sized drivers.

#27 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I crack my 3 wood that sort of distance talart! Actually about 230-240-ish. The idea behind te larger driver heads is to aid MOI as part of the equation for longer distance. So wouldn't a smaller head be similar to playing with my 3 wd anyway with the exception of differing loft? Would think that shortening the driver shaft a better first port of call?

#28 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

I was being facetious about the pride thing AB. Not being able to hit a particular club is something that puzzles me and something that I want to solve. Heading out for my lesson in an hour or so and will see how I go and what sort of feedback I get. Might take the little go pro video along as well.

#29 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

WOW! Bryan Ferguson is a total champ. He spent nearly an hour with me for a 30min coaching block. Suffice to say that I was a little excited, nervy and anxious going into the lesson and had about 20 min to spare as Bryan was running a little late. I had a mate tag along to bash a few buckets so stole some of his balls for a hit to kill some time. Geez, the shanks followed me from Whittlesea last week to mock me just before my lesson. Here's a quick run down for those whom have never had lessons before. We started off by chatting about my game and what I am hoping to achieve in today's session. After that, he pulled my 7i from the bag and asked me to hit a few shots so he can get a gauge of my swing. Hit about half a doz from the range mat and then he dragged me out onto the grass to hit a few more. Made reasonable contact on most of the shots and however, who can truly hit a nice shot when they are being scrutinised? He video taped me directly from behind (no - not that type of video you dirty bastards) and from the side so that he could capture my swing on the ipad. He had this cool little app that he used to draw and point out where I was going wrong etc. We then proceeded back to the teaching shed where we sat down to see the swing which has been the product of countless, unfocussed driving range hours, social hacking, back yard swing practise, Golf digest Self swing analysis and correction, sprinkled with a healthy dose of I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FECK I AM DOING! The verdict I hear you ask? God this guy is wordy I hear you whisper. Well grab your screens with both hands in shock as I deliver this little sliver of truth for the day, my swing sucks! What an epiphany! Ha ha - not the whole swing in its entirety. As per Bryan's observation, take away is fine, Hip lock and weight distribution is spot on, top position was ok, shoulder rotation and beginning of the downswing was good. Start the drive with left hip rotation, followed by the shoulder rotation and the hands start to drop down on-plane. Its at this point that things get a bit hairy, and Bryan called it a pretty funky move. Because of my left arm dominance, and strong left grip (resulting from my misguided correction from early slicing) I get jammed up when my hands are at waist height and instead of rotating the shoulders through impact, I hyper-extend my left side and drop the right shoulder and rip my top half backwards in an attempt to stay on plane and hit the ball. This is where my shanking comes from when the hands are slow in squaring the club presenting shank-first on impact with the ball. He gave me two drills to work on of which; 1. designed to help me flatten out my plane and promote shoulder rotation through impact - my top position was a little high due to slice correction. Drill is a small one and has done wonders, simply slowed down the hip and shoulder rotation movement and get me feeling the shoulders catching up to and matching my hip position through the impact position. 2. Lag accumulation using the right index finger as the trigger and pressure point for accumulating and feeling lag. Learning to accelerate and decelerate the hip, accelerate and decelerate the shoulder roation and then let the arms and hands to follow whilst feeling lag throughout the downswing. Did this drill standing upright, like swinging a baseball bat and then transferring that feeling of lag through to standing over the ball. The lesson concluded with me hitting another couple of dozen balls starting from half swing through to full swing. In a nutshell, Bryan was actually quite happy with my overall swing - with the exception of the last part of the down swing through the impact zone and really looking forward to the next lesson, aiming for late june. For anyone reading this and has never had a lesson, I would strongly recommend it as I wish that I had done this years earlier.

#30 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Gee you make some stuff hard to read Ghetto! When Bryan checked your swing plane (and obviously showed you the swing plane of a pro or 2) were you over the top on the downswing? And you should listen to AB. His longest drive is 421m. But he takes hybrid off the tee all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users