#1 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8409 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Hey all - have had a little hiatus from golf and recently returned and loving it. Started playing in 07 where my best weapon was the shoe wedge, and every course seemed to have a free drop GUR EVERYWHERE - honest your honour! I also had a mean slice which also earned me a secondary nickname, the Boomerang. After some reading and receiving professional amateur tutelage from my matees, I managed to break my first hundred within 6 mths and hit consistently in the high 90's by mid 2008. Upgraded my entire set at this point as the entry level bundle wasn't cutting the mustard anymore and started to develop a more consistent swing - or so I thought at the time. Also found this great little gem called an Hybrid Club. Long holes were no longer the bane of my existence. Fast forward to the beginning of 2011 and my scores had dropped to mid-high 80's, wifey got pregnant and have spent the better part of the last 14 odd months prepping the house and welcoming the proudest achievement so far in my life, the birth of my son in September last year. At the time of cessation, I had cured my slice and found that I was hitting a crazy hook, the longer the club, the more pronounced this was. Started a new job in the beginning of the year and the new boss asked for a volunteer to attend a couple of golf days. Me being the confident person that I am, volunteered my services boasting about my skill as a mid-handicapper. Ever been the new guy and wish that you didnt shoot your mouth off too early? Yup that was me. Attended the golf days in March and a skunk wouldnt have been a smear on the wall compared to how I was hitting the ball. In short, I sucked. So off I went after that, with my completely deflated ego, to the local range and tried to regain some of my former glory but alas, it seemed that the suckiness had followed my arse to the local range as well. Swing sequence was out of whack. Couldnt hit a clean short iron. Driver had the accuracy of a scud missile Irons, woods everything felt alien in my hands. Snap hook aplenty Topped the ball consitently I walked away that day thinking WTF!!!!!!!!??????!?!??!?!?! Since then though, I have returned to the range a few times to find myself again, played a few very ordinary solitary 9-hole rounds, as I prefer to suffer and wallow in my own incompetence by myself. 2 weeks ago was invited to play a round at Latrobe and kncoked out an 87 round - with 4 lost balls to the local water hazards and OOB. My ball striking was fantastic and felt so confident that whenever I had a 5 iron and under in my hand, I was sticking the ball to the dance floor on every shot. OMG - I felt the glory of old was making a re-emergence and remembered how great it was to strike a ball so cleanly. Couldnt wipe the smile off my face with a splash of acid and sandpaper I was that stoked. Last friday morning, at Albert Park 3 holes in and 6 over, the smile disappeared, and doubt and frustration crept in again. I then made a conscious effort to shrug this off and managed to hit a PB for the day. Shot 80 off the stick and managed to finish the remaining 15 holes with no more than 2+. I think I am hooked again! Now shopping around for my first lesson - western suburbs, any recommendations?

#2 hakman

hakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

I have been seeing Bryan Ferguson at Sunshine Golf Club, was recommended by a few guys on here and I would now recommend him also. So far I have had 4 lessons over the last three months and improved heaps. Im only new to the game and shoot between 100-110 but my ball striking is now twice as good as it was before. Not topping the ball at all now which was a big problem for me. Now getting confident that sub 100 isnt to far away. Each lesson I have walked away and noticed improvements each time. He is there on Tuesday and Sunday. Nice easy going guy who can have a laugh too.

#3 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8409 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Hakman. I am toying with the idea of joining Sunshine and play some comp as I have been playing for a while now but have never gotten an official handicap. Sunshine isnt far from my place as I am in Tarneit. The other course I'm thinking of is Sanctuary Lakes. I think that Sanctuary is more challenging and nicer, but they both suffer greatly from strong winds. I have lost nearly all my playing partners to fatherhood and looking to get out there again. I havent played at Sunshine since it first opened. How is it looking now? Will give Bryan Ferguson a call and see what happens.

#4 hakman

hakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

I'm in Hoppers but currently building a house out at Eynesbury. Will probably join there in the next few months. Have only played the front nine at sunshine and thought it was pretty decent. Kinda closed in though I thought. Have played at Werribee a lot lately and have to say its in pretty good condition at the moment, greens are not super quick but even condition all holes. Fairways aren't the same level as eynesbury or sunshine but good day out. I'm just getting into the game seriously and don't have a handicap yet, but like i said will join at eynesbury soon to get that going and hopefully break 90 by the end of the year!

#5 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8409 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Didnt mind Werribee. Tucked away in no-mans land and the equestrian centre. You probably dont live far from me. Eynesbury is also another potential membership course. Forgot about it. Good luck with getting your house built and make sure you get a building inspector - worth their weight in gold and will keep the builder honest.

#6 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11234 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Welcome back GG- look forward to your updates- Feel free to drop a line in Ask a Pro- our resident Headpro and others are there to answer your q's Peace- out

#7 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Good to see that the obsession of golf still has its hooks into you and you are back on the course again. Have fun and dont for get to continue posting the unexpurgated accounts of your golfing exploits.

#8 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8409 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Cheers and thanks for the welcome back Madam, Talart. Have a round booked in at Whittlesea this Saturday and will determine whether this hot streak is a flash in the pan or a sign and rise of the new Ghettogolfer. Will definitely come back with a recount of how this Saturday will pan out, and I am praying to the golf gods to let this mere mortal enjoy another round of great golf. Don't worry Talart, I will be sure to provide an unadulterated version of events, however I must warn you that truth is often a quiet bystander whenever I retell a story! Ha ha.

#9 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4220 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hey all – have had a little hiatus from golf and recently returned and loving it.
Started playing in 07 where my best weapon was the shoe wedge, and every course seemed to have a free drop GUR EVERYWHERE – honest your honour! I also had a mean slice which also earned me a secondary nickname, the Boomerang. After some reading and receiving professional amateur tutelage from my matees, I managed to break my first hundred within 6 mths and hit consistently in the high 90’s by mid 2008.
Upgraded my entire set at this point as the entry level bundle wasn’t cutting the mustard anymore and started to develop a more consistent swing – or so I thought at the time. Also found this great little gem called an Hybrid Club. Long holes were no longer the bane of my existence.
Fast forward to the beginning of 2011 and my scores had dropped to mid-high 80’s, wifey got pregnant and have spent the better part of the last 14 odd months prepping the house and welcoming the proudest achievement so far in my life, the birth of my son in September last year. At the time of cessation, I had cured my slice and found that I was hitting a crazy hook, the longer the club, the more pronounced this was.

Started a new job in the beginning of the year and the new boss asked for a volunteer to attend a couple of golf days. Me being the confident person that I am, volunteered my services boasting about my skill as a mid-handicapper. Ever been the new guy and wish that you didnt shoot your mouth off too early? Yup that was me. Attended the golf days in March and a skunk wouldnt have been a smear on the wall compared to how I was hitting the ball. In short, I sucked.
So off I went after that, with my completely deflated ego, to the local range and tried to regain some of my former glory but alas, it seemed that the suckiness had followed my arse to the local range as well.
Swing sequence was out of whack.
Couldnt hit a clean short iron.
Driver had the accuracy of a scud missile
Irons, woods everything felt alien in my hands.
Snap hook aplenty
Topped the ball consitently
I walked away that day thinking WTF!!!!!!!??
Since then though, I have returned to the range a few times to find myself again, played a few very ordinary solitary 9-hole rounds, as I prefer to suffer and wallow in my own incompetence by myself.
2 weeks ago was invited to play a round at Latrobe and kncoked out an 87 round – with 4 lost balls to the local water hazards and OOB. My ball striking was fantastic and felt so confident that whenever I had a 5 iron and under in my hand, I was sticking the ball to the dance floor on every shot. OMG – I felt the glory of old was making a re-emergence and remembered how great it was to strike a ball so cleanly. Couldnt wipe the smile off my face with a splash of acid and sandpaper I was that stoked.

Last friday morning, at Albert Park 3 holes in and 6 over, the smile disappeared, and doubt and frustration crept in again. I then made a conscious effort to shrug this off and managed to hit a PB for the day. Shot 80 off the stick and managed to finish the remaining 15 holes with no more than 2+.

I think I am hooked again!
Now shopping around for my first lesson – western suburbs, any recommendations?

Driver – Mizuno MP 600, 10.5 degree
3 Wood – Srixon M-steel, 15 degree
3 Hybrid – Taylormade 18 degree
4 Hybrid – Taylormade 22 degree
4-PW – Mizuno MP52’s
Cleveland Wedges
Mizuno Bettinardi Putter

You tell a great story ghetto, good luck with it

#10 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8409 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks wasabipea. Even better in person. Mouth got me into trouble a few times early in my golfing career and had no idea that I had to shut up in someone's golf swing. Ps wasabi peas are one of my favorite munchable, and comes a close second to wasabi broadbeans. Yum.

#11 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Just when you think you got this game it bites back. Enjoyed your account and looking forwards to more updates. Enjoy.

#12 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8409 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Too true parbreaker, which is why I am apprehensive about my current form. Going to post some stats as a starting point - something by which I can gauge my progress (or slide) and some time for goal setting. Playing for 5 years now. No official handicap - but according to Golfshot, I'm currently sitting at 13.8 but pretty sure that this will change as soon as I join a club and obtain my first official handicap. Mind you that these scores were achieved at mostly public courses with relatively forgiving layouts so would assume that it could jump 3-5 strokes on a decent course. Fairways hit: 37.8%, Miss left 39.4%, Miss right 22.8% evidence that my snap hook occurs more often than me hitting the fairway. GIR 26.6% Scrambling 9.2% - havent quite gotten my head around this stat, considering its a function of GIR's missed, and my current woeful GIR hits stat and fairways hit stat, would be safe to assume that my scrambling game sucks balls. Putting Avg 1.91 per hole, 2.07 per GIR. My critique of my game: Driver: the main cause of my angst, plenty of doubt when stepping up to the tee and prone to swing implosion during a round hence the poor stats. Also reluctant to pull the 3 wood instead, the hero in me rearing its ugly head and reducing me to a zero quick-smart. Avge dist is approx 240-250m, can bomb it out to 270 if I flush it. Snap hooks are quite prevalent with the occasional block out to the right if I am late in squaring up the club face. Woods: only have a 3 wood, can hit it with great confidence and distance. Flight pattern is a soft draw, avg dist is approx 230-240m off the deck. Loving this club. Have been known to block it out right on a miss-hit. Hybrids 3 & 4 - 3 is a new acquisition and yet to road test it. 4 is consistent 180m club. Generally on target with a high flight and soft landing. Miss is usually pin high and looking at a chip to get onto the green. 4i 175m - yeah I know it, overlaps with my 4 hybrid but I tend to hit this with a lower flight and is my go-to club for a punch shot. debating whether it stays. 5i - 165m 6i - 155m 7i - 145m 8i - 135m 9i - 125m PW - 115m 52 deg wedge 95 m 56 deg wedge 80m 60 deg wedge 65m With an iron or wedge and a full swing approach, generally on the carpet or near to. Will Hillary Swank it on occassion and like multiple sneezes, it last for about 2-4 shots immediately afterwards. Have pin-pointed the fault to an overactive and early right wrist hinge and inside takeaway. Putting - prolly the weakest part of my game after the drives. Need moar work as I cant seem to pinpoint where I am erring....... i have yet to take a lesson and interested in taking my game to the next level. Hopefully you havent fallen asleep at this point and will save the goal setting for after this weekend so that I can get chance to take stock and assess how I currently stand. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CONTRADICT MYSELF AT ANY POINT IN THIS THREAD. AND YES THIS IS IN CAPS. AND YES, I STARTED A SENTENCE WITH THE WORD "AND"!!!!

#13 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23676 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

ghetto blaster welcome aboard mate, get over to the iseek days thread and pop your name down for a game, lots of good blokes out west and have played with most of them. enjoy the journey Kiwi

#14 Spartan52

Spartan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I think there could be some quiet chuckles to be had reading this thread, Good luck with the 'Cap GG

#15 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11234 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

GG this may be of interest if you can make? http://forums.iseekg...8-10-gold-coast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users