#1 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2207 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I've heard this term used a lot lately (eg You're really striping it today), can someone actually tell me what it means and where does it come from? I tried googling it and came up with this: http://golf.about.co...ef_striping.htm Thanks in advance.

#2 Golfdivot

Golfdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

As in straight lines.

#3 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23878 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

it means you dress like a zebra

#4 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

got it in one kiwi

#5 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

i never heard it before

#6 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2947 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

I have been saying it a bit of late, not sure where I herd it first, or if it means I am hitting it good or dressing like a zebra.

#7 smAsh

smAsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1646 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

yeah, heard it plenty. Not sure of the origin, but is definitely akin to flushing, minting, pureing, smoking, and smashing. Presume it means out of the middle of the club; long and accurate results.

#8 LoveGolf2011

LoveGolf2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just means you are hitting it good,nothing to do with anything else

#9 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14039 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

"Striping" = straight line

#10 Dulberf

Dulberf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

"Striping it" is a term that comes from the time when people used to make their own clubs. Each morning they would sharpen the top of their clubs with a leather strap (hence the term "blades"). If they got too many burrs in the leather, they would sometimes remove them by rubbing the leather along the sole of the club. If the burrs were particularly bad they would actually take very small channels out of the bottom of the club. If this happened you would get "stripes" in the turf when you took a divot. As the better golfers sharpened their blades more often, they were obviously more likely to have the soles "channeled" and therefore produce "stripes" in the turf. As the better players hit the ball straighter it became a bit of a folk lore that the stripes helped you play better golf. These stripes coined the term "striping the ball" as it was thought that you must be a good golfer if you could hit it straight.

#11 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2207 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Thank you gentlemen and Madam for your responses, now I know. I am definately not 'Striping It' then. :)

#12 VijayJay

VijayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

I think the term has been lost in translation. It's actually Stripping It It started when Tiger was at his peak, he has an outstanding ability to visualise shots, lines, breaks that sort of thing. The term itself can be quite derogatory. One day when Tiger was on the range before a tourny, a promotional girl for Budweiser walked past and Stevie could tell that Tiger was visualising her without any clothes on. He said that Tiger was Stripping it, referring to the young lady

#13 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2207 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

“Striping it” is a term that comes from the time when people used to make their own clubs. Each morning they would sharpen the top of their clubs with a leather strap (hence the term “blades”). If they got too many burrs in the leather, they would sometimes remove them by rubbing the leather along the sole of the club.

If the burrs were particularly bad they would actually take very small channels out of the bottom of the club. If this happened you would get “stripes” in the turf when you took a divot. As the better golfers sharpened their blades more often, they were obviously more likely to have the soles “channeled” and therefore produce “stripes” in the turf. As the better players hit the ball straighter it became a bit of a folk lore that the stripes helped you play better golf.

These stripes coined the term “striping the ball” as it was thought that you must be a good golfer if you could hit it straight.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5* Stiff Ahina
Cleveland Launcher 1 & 3 Stiff Hybrid
4-PW Mizuno MP53 Stiff KBS Tour
Vokey 50.11
Vokey 54.12
Vokey 58.09
Scotty Cameron Kombi S 33

Thanks Dulberf, great job. :)

#14 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

The other explanation I have heard is that it refers to getting the ball on the fairways which are generally 'striped' as a result of the mowing pattern.

#15 Johnraf

Johnraf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

I think the term has been lost in translation. It’s actually Stripping It

It started when Tiger was at his peak, he has an outstanding ability to visualise shots, lines, breaks that sort of thing.

The term itself can be quite derogatory.

One day when Tiger was on the range before a tourny, a promotional girl for Budweiser walked past and Stevie could tell that Tiger was visualising her without any clothes on. He said that Tiger was Stripping it, referring to the young lady

and even Oprah likes VijayJay

With Tiger I'm sure it was "Stripper" not stripping.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users