Photo

melbournes sand belts are they overated??

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I have played over 150 courses including Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farm, Victoria, Huntingdale, Woodlands, the Lakes, Royal Adelaide, Newcastle, the National (all 3 courses), Moonah Links (both courses), the Dunes, St Andrews (Mornington), the Lakes, Concord, St Michaels, Bonville, Hope Island, 13th Beach, Yarra Yarra, Kingswood, Long Island, Brookwater, the Vintage, Joondalup and Concord. I have not played Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, NSW, Royal Sydney, Ellerston, Commonwealth or countless others. My guess is that sandbelt courses as a whole are over-rated. Being a sandbelt course is not enough in itself to be highly rated but I suspect that it gives some extra points/cachet to each such course.

Golferjohn, until you have played the sandbelt courses that are being rated and discussed, then your speculation has zero credibility. The closest you have gotten to a true sandbelt look and feel is at Victoria GC. How many times have you played it btw ?
Unless you have played a course in several different conditions and seasons you will only have a once off experience to base your opinion from.
Jon…

That's a fair point considering he hasn't played RM, KH, CW or Metro.

#32 Didntquitecatchit

Didntquitecatchit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
  • LocationMelbourne City

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

#33 youknowthescore

youknowthescore

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

What are the criteria for deciding they are over-rated and who makes the judgement? On the latter, I suspect the answer as to whether they are over-rated depends to an extent on whether it is a professional golfer, a golf architect, an A grade amateur golfer or a C grade amateur golfer and obviously to an extent on whether they have played enough different types of courses to have a considered opinion (and perhaps on whether they have given the issue any great consideration). Bear in mind also that the difference in top courses is probably marginal. Most top 20 or 30 courses appear to have one or perhaps two stand out holes but I suspect that the quality of the rest do not vary much from course to course.

I have played over 150 courses including Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farm, Victoria, Huntingdale, Woodlands, the Lakes, Royal Adelaide, Newcastle, the National (all 3 courses), Moonah Links (both courses), the Dunes, St Andrews (Mornington), the Lakes, Concord, St Michaels, Bonville, Hope Island, 13th Beach, Yarra Yarra, Kingswood, Long Island, Brookwater, the Vintage, Joondalup and Concord. I have not played Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, NSW, Royal Sydney, Ellerston, Commonwealth or countless others.

I am a C grade golfer (B for a few years) and my home club is in Canberra.

My guess is that sandbelt courses as a whole are over-rated. Being a sandbelt course is not enough in itself to be highly rated but I suspect that it gives some extra points/cachet to each such course.

There are a lot of courses that hang their hat on the fact they are calling themselves sandbelt courses when they really aren't. In my opinion there are only 7 clubs in the real sandbelt: Royal Melbourne Kingston Heath Victoria Yarra Yarra Commonwealth Metro Huntingdale

#34 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Those clubs along with Peninsula have collectively agreed to classify themselves as "sandbelt clubs" as per this website. http://www.thesandbe...ome/index.mhtml The Melbourne Sandbelt reciprocal card that you get as a member of one of the courses you mentioned provides reciprocal rights at those 7 clubs as well as Peninsula so I think it is safe to include Peninsula in the list.

#35 Juggs Judy

Juggs Judy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Why isn't Woodlands part of "The Sandbelt" ??

#36 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Why isn’t Woodlands part of “The Sandbelt” ??

Good question.

#37 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

or sandringham and cheltenham

#38 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Good question.

Play it as it lies, get on with it, its not life or death, its just a game!

because you have to pay to hire a pull buggy there.... that's not cool...

#39 JohnLar

JohnLar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Very true - they do the best with what they've got.

#40 johnno31

johnno31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Good question.

Why isn’t Woodlands part of “The Sandbelt” ?? Good question. Play it as it lies, get on with it, its not life or death, its just a game!

because you have to pay to hire a pull buggy there.... that's not cool...

Absolutely untrue. Pull buggies are there for the taking. Have you played there or are you just guessing? Or shite stirring?

#41 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33364 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Johnno, this thread is 12 months old.....it may have been the case last year??

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#42 Flog_Fetishist

Flog_Fetishist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorthcote

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

Woodlands isn't part of the "Sandbelt" group because it's not considered to be of the status level required by the other members of the group. In other words, the members are considered a bit too "working class" to be rubbing shoulders with the gentry.
There's plenty of courses which could be considered a sandbelt region or style of course, including Woodlands, Southern, Spring Valley, Long Island, Keysborough, maybe even Rossdale, and by region, Patterson Lakes and Sandhurst. As well, there's numerous public courses within the region.
As for the validity of the rating of some of these courses, some are possibly punching above their weight. Over the years, a couple have slipped. Yarra Yarra have struggled with design strategy and it shows. The membership is disgruntled by the state of the course which has changed in its appearance and playability over the last couple of decades. Huntingdale was possibly overrated by virtue of being host to the Australian Masters for so long.
Remember, these magazine rankings are highly subjective and susceptible to so many variables, none the least being previous reputations. None of these "expert judges" can get around to more than 50 courses in a year out of around 1500 nationally, so rank them on previous experience, reputation, hearsay and personal taste among other things. I take them as a rough guide only. I see inconsistencies just comparing reasonably local tracks to one another.
To sum up, some are a little overrated, but not by too much, but others are somewhat overlooked by being considered the poorer cousins to the higher reputations and status of the bigger clubs.

#43 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

Working class? How dreadful

I had such a debate over Christmas after many wines and came to the conclusion at least in Perth that the working class debate no longer holds, it is more about the difference between people who join for the golf and those who join for club. The debate stemmed from a comparison between Karrinyup and Cottesloe clubs. Cottesloe is much older and situated in the posh Western suburbs (it is the only 18 hole club in that moneyed area), and as such has a reasonably homogenous and well heeled membership.
LK is younger and located in the less salubrious Northern suburbs and has a much more diverse membership from billionaires all the way down to labourers.

LK is the better course, but far from being posh it is actually the most relaxed, egalitarian and drunken club in town, while Cott views itself as probably a touch more up market due to its membership demographics

People join Cott because its a lovely spot, close to home and their chums are there. They join LK to play a better course, drink too much and not be judged on their socio economic background. I am sure all are happy with their choice, so who cares what anyone else thinks

#44 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Interestingly, LK has reciprocal arrangements with all of the top sanbdelt clubs with some modifications - Woodlands and Peninsula get a Guernsey while Huntingdale do not. Maybe that is a better gauge of who is in and who it out.

#45 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

Interestingly, LK has reciprocal arrangements with all of the top sanbdelt clubs with some modifications - Woodlands and Peninsula get a Guernsey while Huntingdale do not. Maybe that is a better gauge of who is in and who it out.

LK is the better course, but far from being posh it is actually the most relaxed, egalitarian and drunken club in town, while Cott views itself as probably a touch more up market due to its membership demographics

Huntingdale does have Cottlesloe though... I'd prefer LK.

Although when I played LK it didn't feel overly relaxed. Loved the course though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users