Photo

melbournes sand belts are they overated??

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4222 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

For gods sake dont let the qlders see this but yeah i can see why some would say theyre a little overrated, i certainly wouldnt join one

#17 Threejagking

Threejagking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Nothing like the sandbelt in my opinion. Try playing tournament golf on one. When the greens are rock hard and fast. Ballstriking and putting need to be on the money. Melbourne courses kill Sydney's and qlds!

#18 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

For gods sake dont let the qlders see this but yeah i can see why some would say theyre a little overrated, i certainly wouldnt join one

we can stay here and get the **** kicked out of us
or
we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell.
One inch, at a time.
Can I ask why? which ones don't you like? or is it more about the club than the course?

#19 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Well like I said it is all opinion based, but let me refer you to US Golf Digest rankings of the top 100 courses outside the US, I think they did a decent job and I’m sure they took a lot of time to put this together;

100 Best Courses Outside the US (this is only a handful)
1. Royal County Down (UK)
2. St Andrews Old Course (UK)
3. Muirfield (UK)
8. Carnoustie (UK)
9. New South Wales GC (Aus)
11. Kingston Heath (Aus)
14. Royal Birkdale (UK)
13. Cape Kidnappers (NZL)
20. Barnbouble Dunes (Aus)
22. Royal Melbourne West (Aus)
25. Kauri Cliffs (NZL)
57. Ellerston (Aus)
61. Royal Adelaide GC (Aus)
76. Metropolitan GC (Aus)
84. The National GC, Moonah (Aus)

In my opinion I agree that NSW GC is the best golf course in Australia. I haven’t played the Tassie courses yet so perhaps they could be the best.

NSW is a lovely course and great experience but if you put RM or KH next door on the same sort of land then they both go on top… EASILY.

Titleist 910D3 Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 910Fd Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 909H Adilda Voodoo
Titleist 710 AP1 Nippon NS Pro 105T
Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
Pro V1x

WTF.....what's the point......its like me saying if u put Pine Valley, Augusta and Pebble next to that they would be better???

#20 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I find Kingston Heath to be fairly flat and quite boring to look out, royal Melbourne seems a little more dramatic. But I agree if they were on the coast u would be looking at some serious contenders for top 10

Definition of insanity…thinking that u can be a good parent and decrease ur handicap at the same time!

That's why NSWGc is so good. Laughable that's 5th or something in Aust GD Top 100.

#21 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Well like I said it is all opinion based, but let me refer you to US Golf Digest rankings of the top 100 courses outside the US, I think they did a decent job and I’m sure they took a lot of time to put this together;

3. Muirfield (UK)
8. Carnoustie (UK)
11. Kingston Heath (Aus)
14. Royal Birkdale (UK)
25. Kauri Cliffs (NZL)
57. Ellerston (Aus)

In my opinion I agree that NSW GC is the best golf course in Australia. I haven’t played the Tassie courses yet so perhaps they could be the best.

NSW is a lovely course and great experience but if you put RM or KH next door on the same sort of land then they both go on top… EASILY.

Pro V1x

WTF…..what’s the point…...its like me saying if u put Pine Valley, Augusta and Pebble next to that they would be better???

It's pretty simple really... The scenery is a major contributing factor to its high rating. But if you simply compare the golf course itself then it wouldnt be so high. Not that hard to understand I wouldn't have thought.

#22 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

3. Muirfield (UK)
8. Carnoustie (UK)
11. Kingston Heath (Aus)
14. Royal Birkdale (UK)
25. Kauri Cliffs (NZL)
57. Ellerston (Aus)

Pro V1x

WTF…..what’s the point……its like me saying if u put Pine Valley, Augusta and Pebble next to that they would be better???

It’s pretty simple really… The scenery is a major contributing factor to its high rating. But if you simply compare the golf course itself then it wouldnt be so high. Not that hard to understand I wouldn’t have thought.

Pro V1x

yep, NSW is: views, about 3-4 great holes... and the rest is okay... but not amazing...

#23 golferjohn

golferjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

What are the criteria for deciding they are over-rated and who makes the judgement? On the latter, I suspect the answer as to whether they are over-rated depends to an extent on whether it is a professional golfer, a golf architect, an A grade amateur golfer or a C grade amateur golfer and obviously to an extent on whether they have played enough different types of courses to have a considered opinion (and perhaps on whether they have given the issue any great consideration). Bear in mind also that the difference in top courses is probably marginal. Most top 20 or 30 courses appear to have one or perhaps two stand out holes but I suspect that the quality of the rest do not vary much from course to course. I have played over 150 courses including Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farm, Victoria, Huntingdale, Woodlands, the Lakes, Royal Adelaide, Newcastle, the National (all 3 courses), Moonah Links (both courses), the Dunes, St Andrews (Mornington), the Lakes, Concord, St Michaels, Bonville, Hope Island, 13th Beach, Yarra Yarra, Kingswood, Long Island, Brookwater, the Vintage, Joondalup and Concord. I have not played Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, NSW, Royal Sydney, Ellerston, Commonwealth or countless others. I am a C grade golfer (B for a few years) and my home club is in Canberra. My guess is that sandbelt courses as a whole are over-rated. Being a sandbelt course is not enough in itself to be highly rated but I suspect that it gives some extra points/cachet to each such course.

#24 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

What are the criteria for deciding they are over-rated and who makes the judgement? On the latter, I suspect the answer as to whether they are over-rated depends to an extent on whether it is a professional golfer, a golf architect, an A grade amateur golfer or a C grade amateur golfer and obviously to an extent on whether they have played enough different types of courses to have a considered opinion (and perhaps on whether they have given the issue any great consideration). Bear in mind also that the difference in top courses is probably marginal. Most top 20 or 30 courses appear to have one or perhaps two stand out holes but I suspect that the quality of the rest do not vary much from course to course.

I have played over 150 courses including Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farm, Victoria, Huntingdale, Woodlands, the Lakes, Royal Adelaide, Newcastle, the National (all 3 courses), Moonah Links (both courses), the Dunes, St Andrews (Mornington), the Lakes, Concord, St Michaels, Bonville, Hope Island, 13th Beach, Yarra Yarra, Kingswood, Long Island, Brookwater, the Vintage, Joondalup and Concord. I have not played Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, NSW, Royal Sydney, Ellerston, Commonwealth or countless others.

I am a C grade golfer (B for a few years) and my home club is in Canberra.

My guess is that sandbelt courses as a whole are over-rated. Being a sandbelt course is not enough in itself to be highly rated but I suspect that it gives some extra points/cachet to each such course.

the level of how much they are "over rated" depends on how highly they are rated to start with. Of the above, I would actually say Yarra Yarra (34th), commonwealth(31st) and Huntingdale(38th) aren't over rated, because if you look at the slide in rankings they've had, it's probably almost the other way now... unless you think they should be rated even lower than that? if you're referring to the top ranked ones, I suspect anyone who played the masters in the last two years or the presidents cup last year, probably doesn't think the sandbelt is over rated... if you want over rated based on a name or reputation, you maybe should be looking in the larger state to the north of Victoria, some serious crap up there that sits way higher in the top 100...

#25 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

Agreed on the stuff in NSW, not that much to get excited about when compared to the sand belt. The little territory in NSW has not got much to get excited about unless you are an arborist. A very handy arborist with his trusty chainsaw will no doubt improve the best offering in the territory.

#26 TheWeekendGolfer

TheWeekendGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Why would an arborist want to cut down a tree?

#27 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

Why would an arborist want to cut down a tree?

Poo to you.

To provide width which provides strategy.

#28 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

If you want to play a sand belt course, come over to WA. It's all sand belt here! Some great layouts too.

#29 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

If you want to play a sand belt course, come over to WA. It’s all sand belt here! Some great layouts too.

Control is doing the shortest possible stroke to make the shot.

Never played over there, have been meaning too, lake karrinyup needs me!!!!

#30 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2088 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

I have played over 150 courses including Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farm, Victoria, Huntingdale, Woodlands, the Lakes, Royal Adelaide, Newcastle, the National (all 3 courses), Moonah Links (both courses), the Dunes, St Andrews (Mornington), the Lakes, Concord, St Michaels, Bonville, Hope Island, 13th Beach, Yarra Yarra, Kingswood, Long Island, Brookwater, the Vintage, Joondalup and Concord. I have not played Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, NSW, Royal Sydney, Ellerston, Commonwealth or countless others. My guess is that sandbelt courses as a whole are over-rated. Being a sandbelt course is not enough in itself to be highly rated but I suspect that it gives some extra points/cachet to each such course. Golferjohn, until you have played the sandbelt courses that are being rated and discussed, then your speculation has zero credibility. The closest you have gotten to a true sandbelt look and feel is at Victoria GC. How many times have you played it btw ? Unless you have played a course in several different conditions and seasons you will only have a once off experience to base your opinion from. Jon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users