Photo

Gold Coast Golfer. Look at me! All yours..

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#31 SJS90

SJS90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

rubbish, if you’re suggesting that anyone could achieve what Federera or Tiger woods could with a bit of practise then how do you explain why they are so much better than the rest of the elite players…More practise, pfffttttt, dont insult my intelligence

WINNER of ISG golf day, Emerald, May 30 2010
WINNER of ISG golf day, BeaconHills, Dec 30 2011

If your grandfather hadn’t worn it, you wouldn’t exist

No one mentioned a bit of practice but rather practicing the correct techniques. Sorry but your posts actually insult your intelligence and no one else.

“Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at.”

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

So you honestly believe anyone could accomplish their feats?

#32 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38210 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

I can't even see my feats.

#33 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

rubbish, if you’re suggesting that anyone could achieve what Federera or Tiger woods could with a bit of practise then how do you explain why they are so much better than the rest of the elite players…More practise, pfffttttt, dont insult my intelligence

No one mentioned a bit of practice but rather practicing the correct techniques. Sorry but your posts actually insult your intelligence and no one else.

Depends on what you are referring to in feats. What I do know is if people practiced the proper techniques and had 40hours a week to do it they would have to be very proficient at it.... wouldn' they?

#34 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23877 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:24 AM

I am a rank hacker on the scale of golf,
you arent that good

#35 Not_a_clue

Not_a_clue

Not-A-Clue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1496 posts
  • LocationNear Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

listen GCG, its a good topic and props for trying to mount a case..Ive got some further personal expereince that further confounds your theory. As a junior I was a pretty good tennis player, played A grade local comp, and one a bucket load of club champs et al. However when it came to school holidays and mixing it with the best of the best, I was pantsed. Could barely get warm before these guys dished me up. Boy did I practise….every damn afternoon, played juniors in the morning and seniors in the afternoon. So why couldnt I cut it when playing with these state grade players…talent at the end of the day. I dont believe they practised any more or less than me…i had tuition regularly, never fixed my backhand :( sadly. and it’s why my friend that Roger federer is gunning for another grand slam whilst your thinking what vending machine needs restocking..But Im totally with you on genuine improvement should one dedicate an amount of time coupled with tuition…cheers

I'm you Wasabi. I have a similar story. I was a pretty good swimmer with all the coaching available and came off a third place in the 100m freestyle State titles (SA) in 1970. I missed the cut for the squad in the Commonwealth games by 0.02 seconds. My time was 55.78. It was a bitter pill to swallow being so close and missing out. As it turned out, Mick Wenden from NSW trounced the opposition at the games that year and it took me a few years to realise that even on my very best day, I would come a dismal last had I competed. I was good swimmer but Mick was in the elite class. Why? He had something that was bred into him (genes) that I didn't. Whether it was a physical or mental edge is a moot point. The fact remains that in swimming, golf, football, cycling etc, the genetic makeup of the athlete is more finely tuned.

#36 SJS90

SJS90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

Depends on what you are referring to in feats. What I do know is if people practiced the proper techniques and had 40hours a week to do it they would have to be very proficient at it…. wouldn’ they?

Well there seems to be the suggestion that the only thing needed to become one of the worlds best is time and money to practice for large amounts of time. Talent doesn't seem to be required in Iseekgolf world... I grew up next to a golf course, practiced everyday for as long as I can remember. Had parents happy to support me and took a few years off after finishing school to play and practice full time. Now I play at a pretty high level. Then a few of these young punks start coming through that have been playing half the time I have and start winning national events etc.. I'd argue that these guys have that little extra something (talent) combined with their hardwork which gets them to a further level.

#37 Yarn

Yarn

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8661 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Far North NSW

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:40 AM

Sprinting can be honed but there is a heap of natural ability required initially to even get on the page. With that, I know some people who can hardly hold a club and no amount of help for them could get them to improve. A fair amount of hand-eye is required for golf naturally, I think, just like natural athleticism and speed is required for sprinting. If you are uncoordinated from the get go, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for you to achieve greatness.

#38 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

GCG can correct me if I have taken it wrong but I thought he was saying that with that much practice he could become a scratch golfer NOT a Tiger or Federer. I do believe that with 40 hours a week to practice and coaching anyone could become a scratch golfer. Would love to have the opportunity to try it!

#39 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25175 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

The only proof really is in the pudding. Time will, as it does, tell all.

#40 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

The only proof really is in the pudding. Time will, as it does, tell all.

I really don’t stink so,,,,,,

First Hole in one, 30/12/11.

Assistant forum moderator, servant to MADAM

You are a very wise man Stinkler..... I'm going to enjoy see it all unfold. We all have opinions which is what makes life interesting. If we all thought the same well you know what....

#41 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

are you suggesting now that its not the volume of practise that the peers of tiger woods and roger federer are lacking, its just they arent practising the correct technique, now thats as laughable as it is ridiculous

#42 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

are you suggesting a BIT of practice won't get you there? cause guess what you are 100% correct. and as for Tigers and Federers peers I wouldn't have a clue (nor do I care) as the conversation is not about them but rather about whether it would be possible to become a scratch golfer with 40hours a week of correct practice and coaching. I believe it would be possible. For some this might sound ridiculous or laughable but for me it would seem very achievable given where I have got to with no lessons or lots of practice. see I am putting my point of view across from my experience and like I said if you have a different experience Wasabi by all means share it with us and justify why you think what you think.

#43 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Ok... This whole talent thing really gives me shits.. I don't believe it exists (maybe genes for hand eye).. I grew up with people saying man you have alot of 'talent', you put in the same amount of work as everyone but you are just better then most of us.. Well that is crap, I was better because I put in more work.. I lived and breathed golf growing up.. I was practicing before school not just after it.. And when I got home after dinner I was out in the back yard chipping into a bucket, and when i was supposed to be sleeping I was putting till all hours of the morning in front of the mirror in my room, when I was in school I was reading golf books instead of school books, And when I played I made sure I always played someone better then me.(always learning) ... When I was laying in bed I was playing the golf course or opponents out over and over in my head so I was prepared for everything the next day.. At the dinner table the family would talk non stop golf (dad played off 2ish) my life was consumed with golf.... School holidays I was out at the course at 6am everyday and home at dark.. **** 15 years later it's 430 am right now where I'm at and I'm having breakfast to got practice after 14 hour day yesterday.. So anyone who thinks that 40 hours a week for let's say 5 years you could become a pro.. (Maybe get down to 4 or so) your dreaming!! Sorry talent is bullshit in my opinion .. People just assume that other just dont work hard cause that's what they see, no one has any earthly idea what they really do.. I think alot of people have not a clue what dedication to something really is too.. 40 hours a week pfft please... That's a job not dedication and passion!!

#44 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2850 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

The elite golfers aspiring to become professionals are putting in more than 40 hours a week, and the vast majority are kids that have never worked.

#45 Yarn

Yarn

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8661 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Far North NSW

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

Ok… This whole talent thing really gives me shits.. I don’t believe it exists (maybe genes for hand eye).. I grew up with people saying man you have alot of ‘talent’, you put in the same amount of work as everyone but you are just better then most of us.. Well that is crap, I was better because I put in more work.. I lived and breathed golf growing up.. I was practicing before school not just after it.. And when I got home after dinner I was out in the back yard chipping into a bucket, and when i was supposed to be sleeping I was putting till all hours of the morning in front of the mirror in my room, when I was in school I was reading golf books instead of school books, And when I played I made sure I always played someone better then me.(always learning) ... When I was laying in bed I was playing the golf course or opponents out over and over in my head so I was prepared for everything the next day.. At the dinner table the family would talk non stop golf (dad played off 2ish) my life was consumed with golf…. School holidays I was out at the course at 6am everyday and home at dark.. **** 15 years later it’s 430 am right now where I’m at and I’m having breakfast to got practice after 14 hour day yesterday..
So anyone who thinks that 40 hours a week for let’s say 5 years you could become a pro.. (Maybe get down to 4 or so) your dreaming!! Sorry talent is bullshit in my opinion too.. People just assume that other just dont work hard cause that’s what they see, no one has any earthly idea what they really do..
I think alot of people have not a clue what dedication to something really is too.. 40 hours a week pfft please… That’s a job not dedication and passion!!

I reckon there is a combination there RTL. I am sure you would of had some natural ability in the first place, hand-eye, coordination, and add the dedication, massive work input, practice like hell, practice more etc etc. and you make it as a pro. I know some people however, that no matter how much practice they have, or coaching, or whatever, they won't make a golfer's *******. You still need some natural ability for the game in my opinion. Its not talent, just more along the lines of coordination and a bit of natural ability. The thing is, most people who don't have any ability or coordination wouldn't bother trying to be a good golfer in the first place, so it is probably an experiment that will never happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users