Photo

Gold Coast Golfer. Look at me! All yours..

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#16 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

OK stay with me and tell me how much physical work is involved in golf in comparrison to say................... Sprinting????? Yep thats right maybe 1% what if we were to apply your analogy to say becoming a world class darts player???

#17 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

say what...., stay on the platform partner, you might get the point on the return leg. You need to do some serious research into the gene pool or alternatley howzabout starting a thread on , is there anything GCG can't do.?..

#18 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

so how does gene pool come into golf?? look at say Luke Donald in good shape pretty fit, then look at others say Parry, Laura Davies, jarrod Lyle, John daly and a host of other well over weight golfers, hardly pictures of athleticism are they??? So what do genes have to do with becoming an exceptional golfer, clearly your analogy re USain Bolt implies a physical trait?? Nothing else?

#19 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2850 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:22 AM

I was curious as to what people’s thoughts were on what it takes to be a pro.

what you said an more, particularly brains and ticker. Plenty of golfers have the physical talent, dedication for practice, but they just can't fire when the heats on, or just don't know how to play the game. But remember, we wouldnt have golfing 'greats' if it wasn't for the 99.9% of pros that fail.

#20 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3110 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

so how does gene pool come into golf??

look at say Luke Donald in good shape pretty fit, then look at others say Parry, Laura Davies, jarrod Lyle, John daly and a host of other well over weight golfers, hardly pictures of athleticism are they???

So what do genes have to do with becoming an exceptional golfer, clearly your analogy re USain Bolt implies a physical trait?? Nothing else?

Had a bad day today only holed 2 wedges

whats my handicap?? I am off scratch at the range.

Natural coordination comes from the gene pool. Coordination can be leant with a lot of practice but if the same person with natural coordination practices as much they will be better all things being equal.

#21 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:57 AM

so how does gene pool come into golf??

look at say Luke Donald in good shape pretty fit, then look at others say Parry, Laura Davies, jarrod Lyle, John daly and a host of other well over weight golfers, hardly pictures of athleticism are they???

So what do genes have to do with becoming an exceptional golfer, clearly your analogy re USain Bolt implies a physical trait?? Nothing else?

sport science is beyond just the physical form partner, try hand/eye co-ordination, balance..I gotta hand it to you, ya love keeping it simple

#22 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

listen GCG, its a good topic and props for trying to mount a case..Ive got some further personal expereince that further confounds your theory. As a junior I was a pretty good tennis player, played A grade local comp, and one a bucket load of club champs et al. However when it came to school holidays and mixing it with the best of the best, I was pantsed. Could barely get warm before these guys dished me up. Boy did I practise....every damn afternoon, played juniors in the morning and seniors in the afternoon. So why couldnt I cut it when playing with these state grade players...talent at the end of the day. I dont believe they practised any more or less than me...i had tuition regularly, never fixed my backhand :( sadly. and it's why my friend that Roger federer is gunning for another grand slam whilst your thinking what vending machine needs restocking..But Im totally with you on genuine improvement should one dedicate an amount of time coupled with tuition...cheers

#23 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

He said the main difference was dedication and practice.

VTTP534
The other AB (AB2)

hhhhhmmm

just what I said, you know this place is a bit like politics, if someone on here you like puts up a theory you’ll not comment or agree with it, yet if its someone who rubs you the wrong way puts up the same theoary they’ll disagree with you till they are blue in the face.

Show me 1 professional sportsman who has never practiced, and for every 1 you find if you can find 1 I’ll give you the name of millions of others who did dedicate their lives to their sport.

If you are going to quote me please use the full quote as this is only part of the information. The people who attend the school I stated where the teacher said this was what differentiated the students at the end of their tuition was a elite school. In other words you are already classed as fantastic before you get there.

#24 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

As the topic has changed I'll leave you to it. I'm sure I've read this before somewhere.

#25 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

Can't compare sptinting to golf sorry.... For sprinting you do achieve better results with more fast-twitch fibres (which by the way cannot be created but are oart of the genes you inherit) which allows two people who train the same to achieve different levels. Their is no particular skill in golf that cannot be achieved without the correct knowledge/technique and plenty of practice. You need to groove the correct technique over time. What then distinguishes amateurs from pros and even the pros is the mental abilities involved with the game. Just my opinion though so feel free to disagree and say why you believe otherwise!

#26 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:39 AM

AB I didn't change the direction of the thread??? I pit up what I think is a main barrier to turning pro. Lack of conviction, dedication, practice and skills, all can be put down to not having the money to apply yourself 24/7 to golf. Can't turn pro if your working 40 hours a week and travelling an hour each way to work everyday and you have no time to hit golf balls can you.

#27 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

rubbish, if you're suggesting that anyone could achieve what Federera or Tiger woods could with a bit of practise then how do you explain why they are so much better than the rest of the elite players...More practise, pfffttttt, dont insult my intelligence

#28 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:45 AM

maybe they have a different mindset. For example I get ridiculed when I say I am aiming for the hole, when all you lot say your aiming for the green. I may not get it in the hole but if I miss by a few feet I'll be a hell of a lot closer then you who is aiming for the green and missed it by a few feet?? Maybe they have a different mindset to the game. maybe Woods beleives he can hit a 2 iron 240m over water to a pin cut 3 feet onto the green, and guess what he hits it self belief, yet other pros will play to the safe part of the green. Why is he able to hit this shot and others wont, he knows from years of practice he can nail it. How many pros try and hit a 2 iron and land it on a blanket size area?? None, federer knows he can make a forhand pass down the line and catch the line, others will just hit it back to centre court for his apponent to hit it back. Its a belief in your abillity which is attained from years of practice.

#29 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

Maybe the elite practise different things. I am a rank hacker on the scale of golf, yet when I go and hit balls like this arvo in the rain dodging showers. I have 2 pins that I use as my target area they would be 3 metres apart at most, My goal is to hit every full wedge through that gate and land it on the back of the green. If I miss one it is not satisfactory, however I will get probably 60% in that corridor. Maybe they have a lower tolerence for failure. I expect every shot I hit to go where I want it to go, now if that is above your expectations thats your problem, not mine.

#30 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:56 AM

rubbish, if you’re suggesting that anyone could achieve what Federera or Tiger woods could with a bit of practise then how do you explain why they are so much better than the rest of the elite players…More practise, pfffttttt, dont insult my intelligence

WINNER of ISG golf day, Emerald, May 30 2010
WINNER of ISG golf day, BeaconHills, Dec 30 2011

If your grandfather hadn’t worn it, you wouldn’t exist
No one mentioned a bit of practice but rather practicing the correct techniques. Sorry but your posts actually insult your intelligence and no one else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users