4 replies to this topic

#1 GottaStartSomewhere

GottaStartSomewhere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

I used to be very confident with my SW or PW from 100-120m but of late am struggling to even find the green. Everything is ending up the correct distance but always right.(normally in bunker) The only thing I think I could be doing differently is not comitting fully to the shot. Any suggestions I can try?

#2 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Aim left? I bet it then will go straight and you will be fine

#3 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

The fact that your ball is going the right distance would indicate that it’s the path of the club not an open clubface which would cause a loss of distance. Sounds like you are swinging to the right of target which is caused by either aim or swing. As GSP commented, aiming more to the left is a good idea. There is a lesson here in that to a large degree, we want to let the ball flight dictate how we set our aim. Lee Trevino used to say that he doesn’t know where he will be aiming until he warms up and sees where the ball is going. Another lesson here is that our shoulders should be parallel to the target line; this means they will be left of target so that we can still swing from an inside path. Many golfers are under the impression that the shoulders should be aiming straight at the target which would cause either pushes to the right or a compensating over the top swing. In the video below watch the master at work as he visualizes the ball flight and sets his body to the shot, his shoulders are slightly left of target and he comes from an inside path. Thing of beauty. Hogan - Wedge Shot

#4 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Trevino was a master... From a swing plane standpoint, the question I have is does your finish plane match your approach plane? Finishing with a flatter plane helps rotate the clubface. Also, if your core is not rotating then the clubface will rotate less. Turning the hips and chest back together also helps with the forward rotation.

#5 GottaStartSomewhere

GottaStartSomewhere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

Trevino was a master… From a swing plane standpoint, the question I have is does your finish plane match your approach plane? Finishing with a flatter plane helps rotate the clubface.

Also, if your core is not rotating then the clubface will rotate less. Turning the hips and chest back together also helps with the forward rotation.

An official iseekgolf.com teaching panelist Bob Duncan
PGA Teaching Professional
Tetherow Golf Club, Bend, Oregon
www.golfecoach.com

In my bag: Henry-Griffitts Golf Clubs

I think this core not roatating gets back to my concern of not committing to the shot and therefore not finishing facing the target. Something to work on tonight and will report back with results tomorrow. GS, Can you please explain a little further the flatter finishing plane as opposed to approach plane and how this roates the clubface. I'm currently having enough trouble staying on plane let alone moving from one to another mid swing. (if this is what you mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users