#16 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23879 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Other way round kiwi – chip arms only pitch fuller

maybe i have, am pretty sure my coach has an arms only = pitch sorry if wrong my bad

#17 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23879 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

dont for get =y in the arms weight left side too Kev

#18 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41667 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

maybe i have,
am pretty sure my coach has an arms only = pitch
sorry if wrong
my bad

4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normally chips are shorter, so I would expect that pitches need more movement? But you are better off listening to your coach than me!

#19 Virge666

Virge666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

More of a fan of Phil when it comes to pitching and chipping. his method has been taught the same way by so many people, it is almost law now. Mercer taught me Hinge and Hold, or Break and Block or ###### and block or lock-it and Pocket nearly 30 years ago . . . Sean Foley has quite a cool method for distance control of pitches too.

#20 nondeplume

nondeplume

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

I learnt to pitch by standing completely on my left foot with shoulders level and holding the club in right hand only. This keeps you from falling off the shot onto your right foot and scooping or blading it. The rhythm you develop is amazing as your right hand can't overpower it. When I practice I go one shot one leg and hand, then next shot standing normal.

#21 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3888 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

Do nothing special with chippping practise, now same stance as any other club. This was changed last week during coaching from the previous open stance. Shorter backswing taken, ###### wrists for more power when playing 20m plus chipshot and follow through after hitting the ball. Pracise routine using SW which has replaced 60 degree lob wedge. At this stage can get one ball in 15 into the hole at 10m and 2 at 5m, during practise. this is a must do before ending and rotate it through the different holes on the practise green. Happy with progress. After the theory of why the change adopting the new stance did not take much adjustment.

#22 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23879 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:19 AM

I learnt to pitch by standing completely on my left foot

have done part of this, right foot on tip toe, left foot normal, puts weight on left side automatically

#23 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9042 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

maybe i have,
sorry if wrong
my bad

Kiwi You are correct our coach has worked on arm only pitches with with me and as you know I now get them bullet like straight, now a strong part of my game and yes we have been working on standing on one leg for the chip as well. working on varying the club to chip and pitch with as well and NOT always grabbing lobby for every shot around green. In fact coach has asked me to play net two rounds with out the lob wedge to learn different shots with controlling bounce angle of 56 sandy,

#24 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23879 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

maybe i have,
sorry if wrong
my bad

Kiwi
You are correct our coach has worked on arm only pitches with with me and as you know I now get them bullet like straight, now a strong part of my game and yes we have been working on standing on one leg for the chip as well.

working on varying the club to chip and pitch with as well and NOT always grabbing lobby for every shot around green.

In fact coach has asked me to play net two rounds with out the lob wedge to learn different shots with controlling bounce angle of 56 sandy,

interesting mate i only use the 60 in pots, unless like 17 at WV where you saw me hit that long PW to 3 feet. i hardly use the 60 round the green maybe once at beccy hills on the 11th?? par 3 i missed to the right and pin was right side, had to get it on and stopped 4 inch tap in par (ask Gaz) when we played at the marsh i threw a 60 in to the wind on 13 from off the green on an uphill lie. yep i like the 120m pitch with a 6i. just like 5 at trentham.. he's a great teacher and am lookin to round 1 to a haul of points Kiwi

#25 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

I found that my tendency to stab, duff and skull short pitch shots largely went away when I got my ball position right (before the low spot) and worked on a smooth back and through swing.

this swing should be arms only for a pitch, no cocking of wrists

That was my main problem cocking the wrist, trying to get under the ball.

1ST RESERVE MODERATOR AFTER STINK. When the time comes, watch out. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.

Recruited by madam, 10th December 2011 09:52.
1st drive on fairway ever 2012.

tolmij
a pitch has arms only, dead easy shot to play
a chip has wrist ######, more fuller swing
you are scooping or flipping, just let the club’s loft get the ball up
all you are doing is hitting down

Thanks, tried it seems to work, more practice though tol

#26 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23879 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

I found that my tendency to stab, duff and skull short pitch shots largely went away when I got my ball position right (before the low spot) and worked on a smooth back and through swing.

this swing should be arms only for a pitch, no cocking of wrists

That was my main problem cocking the wrist, trying to get under the ball.

1ST RESERVE MODERATOR AFTER STINK. When the time comes, watch out. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.

tolmij
a pitch has arms only, dead easy shot to play
a chip has wrist ######, more fuller swing
you are scooping or flipping, just let the club’s loft get the ball up
all you are doing is hitting down

Thanks, tried it seems to work, more practice though
tol

sweet just keep those wrists locked and if you need more distance go to a pw or 9i, no need for more power (yet)

#27 Virge666

Virge666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Guys, I know it is semantics, but if someone is looking it up, they may as well know. Chipping has no wrist break, also called maintaining the Y and is great for shots around the green. Willow has some awesome stuff on his website with chipping. Pitching is the longer shots and even though you can play it with dead hands like Steve Stricker, it is by usual definition a shot played with some kind of wrist break and release. The wrist break allows you to control ball flight and spin a little more than stock dead hands chip, but the dead hand chip for mine is much easier to use with the shorter chips, especially with no rough. I use to think the dead hand swing was hopeless out of bunkers, but watching Stricker and Luke Donald playa few this way... I am not so sure and will be experimenting tomorrow.
  • Madam likes this

#28 Paddywest

Paddywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Jesus this forum is gold.

I was really inconsistent with my chips around the green, since i have gone shoulder / upper body movement only I've become much more consistent.

Still feels a little awkward but have reduced my putts per round considerably.

• Madam, iRON MiCK and hack2489 like this

#29 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

Jesus this forum is gold.

I was really inconsistent with my chips around the green, since i have gone shoulder / upper body movement only I've become much more consistent.

Still feels a little awkward but have reduced my putts per round considerably.

Onya Paddy... good to hear your enjoying learning, and improving.

Have you seen these?

https://iseekgolf.co...ping-trajectory

https://iseekgolf.co...chipping-set-up

https://iseekgolf.co...istance-control

https://iseekgolf.co...ing-towel-drill

• Madam and Paddywest like this

#30 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

I follow Craig Parrys short game 

Your hands must always always always be in front of the ball 

come through faster than the back swing 

When your closer too the green swing like its just a putt and remember........... 

hands must always always always be in front of the ball 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users