33 replies to this topic

#1 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

Full article here Recently, when I looked at my swing on 30 metre pitch shots I noticed that my left arm became bent during the downswing and the club tended to get ahead of my hands. This was a sure fire recipe for the inconsistent pitch shots I had been experiencing. Turning again to Dave Pelz, I saw that he has some interesting advice in his Short Game Bible about short game mechanics. One of his observations is the basic idea is that, for right handed players, if you swing the club with your right arm only, you will tend to graze the ground in line with your right shoulder or right foot. If you swing the club with your left arm only, you will tend to graze the round in line with your left shoulder or left foot. The perfect bottom of the pitch shot swing is somewhere in between. What do others focus on to improve their pitch shot mechanics?

#2 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

hermit i used to get the odd shank so my coach gets me to do this drill at home off my chipping mat for right hander i pitch with right hand only left hand fingers wrapped around right elbow ensuring still y in the arms and weight on left side turns out my left hand pressure was to tight so am ingraining the feel of left hand just going for a ride my pitching accuracy has improved immensely and no more shanks kiwi

#3 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Interesting drill Kiwi. The left hand going along for the ride describes the feeling I try to achieve as well. I found it quite difficult at first to move the bottom of my arc forward with my right hand only. Where abouts in your stance do you play the ball with your right hand only drill? Any ideas on what causes the connection between grip pressure and the shanks?

#4 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

I was having major problems with my pitch shots, my main problem was grip pressure, when this relaxed my pitching improved immediately. Going to give your drill a try kiwi, sounds very useful.

#5 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

hermit/tolmij i do the drill with ball in the middle of stance. is difficult to control the club but you are doing well when the ball checks regardless of accuracy. coach said left hand grip being to tight pulls the club off line or something like that, been a while since i had the lesson, I don't dwell on the problem just the fix kiwi

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

my problem was i pick up the club with left hand and put right hand on, this auto pick up gave me too much grip so now when i have a few praccy swings i release some pressure from my left hand hey presto

#7 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts
  • LocationBotanic Ridge

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

All my bad shots tend to occur when i grip too tightly with either hand. The grip pressure and tension just doesnt allow the club to release at all. As such face stays open and in some cases the ball is almost stabbed at with such an open face it gets hoseled.

#8 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

All my bad shots tend to occur when i grip too tightly with either hand. The grip pressure and tension just doesnt allow the club to release at all. As such face stays open and in some cases the ball is almost stabbed at with such an open face it gets hoseled.

My theory is that there are a couple of ways to address most golf problems. One is to focus on eliminating a flaw. The other is to focus on building a strength. The negative you want to eliminate is the grip pressure and tension. The strength you want to build in short pitch shots is a smooth swing which grazes the ground at a consistent location. I found that my tendency to stab, duff and skull short pitch shots largely went away when I got my ball position right (before the low spot) and worked on a smooth back and through swing. You might find that helps with the grip pressure and tension. The club may start releasing itself if you take the "hit" out of the action.

#9 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

Shootin in the 90s but aiming to improve

hozzled = to much tension in left hand Kev (right hander)

#10 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

I found that my tendency to stab, duff and skull short pitch shots largely went away when I got my ball position right (before the low spot) and worked on a smooth back and through swing.
this swing should be arms only for a pitch, no cocking of wrists

#11 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts
  • LocationBotanic Ridge

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

Shootin in the 90s but aiming to improve

hozzled = to much tension in left hand Kev (right hander)

4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly my problem Kiwi, when I figured this out It was a lightbulb moment now I hit pitches, chips and a nice open faced lob really well. Always take 3 or 4 really good practice swings letting everything keep loose. Then step up to the ball and give myself no time to get tense.

#12 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

nice work Kev be aware the lob is the hardest to conquer

#13 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

I found that my tendency to stab, duff and skull short pitch shots largely went away when I got my ball position right (before the low spot) and worked on a smooth back and through swing.

That was my main problem cocking the wrist, trying to get under the ball.

#14 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

That was my main problem cocking the wrist, trying to get under the ball.

1ST RESERVE MODERATOR AFTER STINK. When the time comes, watch out. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.

Recruited by madam, 10th December 2011 09:52.
1st drive on fairway ever 2012.

tolmij a pitch has arms only, dead easy shot to play a chip has wrist ######, more fuller swing you are scooping or flipping, just let the club's loft get the ball up all you are doing is hitting down

#15 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41841 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

Other way round kiwi - chip arms only pitch fuller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users