174 replies to this topic

#31 MonkeyFlaps

MonkeyFlaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

I would have prefered to have received a reply of "we don't discuss this" than having the post deleted. I don't see how heresay does anything for them.

#32 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

Homophobia is the basis for why competitive sport tries to maintain as straight an image as possible. It does not matter what the sport is, or if it is women's or men's sport. Women have had to deal with the old stereotype of any woman playing sport being suspected of being lesbian... this is fading, or at least morphing into specific sports. There are some women who come out while they are still participating in their sporting field (Martina Navratilova, Karrie Webb, etc.), ... How many men do you know of that have come out before they have retired?? Remember the last Olympic Games. Matthew Mitcham, with his final dive, performed a dive that was the highest scoring single dive in the history of the Olympic Games - winning gold, and stopping what would otherwise have been a Chinese clean-sweep of the diving golf medals... Were sponsors clambering over each other to sign this new Aussie champion?? No, of course not... he's gay - he came out before the games.... the greatest performance in the history of Olympic Diving, and he struggled to find a sponsor.... because he is gay... THAT IS TO THIS COUNTRY'S SHAME.

#33 Not_a_clue

Not_a_clue

Not-A-Clue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1496 posts
  • LocationChiang Mai, Thailand

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

It amazes me that these high profile people feel the need to 'come out'. They KNOW what the general populous attitudes will be toward them (including sponsors). So why take the risk? Why not stay in the closet until AFTER they retire from professional sport. If they feel that if they speak out, they will be doing the gay movement and human rights justice, then they are indeed misguided. You cant legislate against personal thoughts and attitudes. Combined with freedom of speech, the 'thought police' are drawing a long bow in eliminating discrimination. I guess that's the problem with democracy - majority rules! By the way, I came out years ago by admitting I was a lesbian - I only find women attractive!!!

#34 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:59 AM

Mekat, so why have we had Australian womens hockey and soccer teams that comprised a solitary straight woman (that I am aware of, having known the sole straight woman in those teams)? Why are lesbians so disproportionately represented in elite sport? And Matthew Mitcham couldn't get sponsorship because he is gay? You are possibly right, but are you sure it might not have something to do with his particpation in a niche sport that attracts no exposure?

#35 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

Homophobia is the basis for why competitive sport tries to maintain as straight an image as possible. It does not matter what the sport is, or if it is women’s or men’s sport.

Women have had to deal with the old stereotype of any woman playing sport being suspected of being lesbian… this is fading, or at least morphing into specific sports. There are some women who come out while they are still participating in their sporting field (Martina Navratilova, Karrie Webb, etc.), ... How many men do you know of that have come out before they have retired??

Remember the last Olympic Games. Matthew Mitcham, with his final dive, performed a dive that was the highest scoring single dive in the history of the Olympic Games – winning gold, and stopping what would otherwise have been a Chinese clean-sweep of the diving golf medals… Were sponsors clambering over each other to sign this new Aussie champion?? No, of course not… he’s gay – he came out before the games…. the greatest performance in the history of Olympic Diving, and he struggled to find a sponsor…. because he is gay… THAT IS TO THIS COUNTRY’S SHAME.

How can you correctly spell GOLF when it begins with a tee?

Mmmmm, your theory, apart from Greg Louganis he is the only diver I know. He may have struggled because diving has a profile rivalled only by synchronised swimming.

#36 Not_a_clue

Not_a_clue

Not-A-Clue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:18 AM

How can you correctly spell GOLF when it begins with a tee?

Mmmmm, your theory, apart from Greg Louganis he is the only diver I know. He may have struggled because diving has a profile rivalled only by synchronised swimming.

Synchronised... [yaaaawwwwn]... swimming. Exciting and riveting stuff.

#37 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:24 AM

People have their own reasons whether to come out or not... There is a lot of politics in this.... if a high profile sports-person stays in the closet, it could be seen as maintaining the façade of hetero-normative sport... there is of course the financial imperative of not coming out... but on the other side of the coin there may be the freedom of not having to obfuscate, or conceal part of their lives. It must take a great amount of strength of character to be willing to face that choice - I feel there would be a degree of bravery in coming out as a high-profile person in any occupation in the public eye... only rarely does it work (i.e. Ian McKelllen). You cannot legislate against personal thoughts and attitudes - but it is not legislation that changes attitudes, it is action within communities. Coming out is a blow against homophobia, for the more straight people know gay (or bi) people, the less successful fear, stereotypes, and scaremongering campaigns will be. I once wrote that for some people, coming out is granting ownership OF yourself TO yourself. Meaning that while living in the closet others own part of you. Lesbian is just one of the terms that can be used to describe who I am as a person... Is it the most important one? Is 'straight' the most important label for the wider community?

#38 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23739 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

I would have prefered to have received a reply of “we don’t discuss this” than having the post deleted. I don’t see how heresay does anything for them.

The internet is a playground

deleted post = we dont discuss this whats so hard to understand there precious?

#39 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

Mekat, so why have we had Australian womens hockey and soccer teams that comprised a solitary straight woman (that I am aware of, having known the sole straight woman in those teams)? Why are lesbians so disproportionately represented in elite sport?

Interesting... We start out dealing with a perception of lesbians overrunning Women's Golf, now we are having the Opals and Matildas brought into the conversation claiming there are only one straight woman in each squad.... How do you know these things? and if true, what is it to you? There has been a history of women being excluded from participating in sport, I am talking here about LONG term history - centuries. Women's inclusion has been an unfolding journey through the twentieth century and into this one. Perhaps it has taken a specific kind of woman to focus strongly on her chosen sport... and having to deal with the hurdles that are put in her way to achieve her goals.... does it take a lesbian? could she be straight... and HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? Is it just an assumption? a fantasy? and even if the whole team, or competition are lesbian... what is it to you?

And Matthew Mitcham couldn’t get sponsorship because he is gay? You are possibly right, but are you sure it might not have something to do with his particpation in a niche sport that attracts no exposure?

Yes it is a niche sport (with little exposure), but Matthew produced a dive (or performance) that was better than any in that sport in any Olympics EVER... We in Australia lionise any champion, even in obscure or niche sports (i.e. Eddie Charlton?)... but if he is gay...?

#40 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36028 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

Eddie Charlton was gay? Makes sense.

#41 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

Eddie Charlton was gay?

Makes sense.

“Do not let a flattering woman coax and wheedle you and deceive you; she is after your barn”……Ed Rayner
Goldy. G-Oldy? Godly? Goldenrod? Goldfinger? Numbnuts? Whatever.
No ponies were harmed in the making of this post.

I was not suggesting that at all

#42 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36028 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

He WAS a cutie.

#43 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27107 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

Why stop at just Catholics having a lot to answer for?

Haywood Jablome
Male, 24, Western Siberia.
Handicap- 36.

True. But its only Catholics I can speak about since I’m one.

“Wheel him ’round the other side, Nanna…”

I agree Catholics and religion in general, but lack of respect seems to be the norm now.

#44 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27107 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

The question is, why are we having this discussion, does it matter what we are, It is ppl like SMS that marginalise society. Participation in sport or business should only considered in the light of results, a persons sexual preference is private and should stay that way. It is typical of SMS and others to start this here as they know in their other home it would lead to their dismissal. Jusy sayin

#45 Not_a_clue

Not_a_clue

Not-A-Clue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

Why stop at just Catholics having a lot to answer for?

Haywood Jablome
Male, 24, Western Siberia.
Handicap- 36.

True. But its only Catholics I can speak about since I’m one.

“Wheel him ’round the other side, Nanna…”

I agree Catholics and religion in general, but lack of respect seems to be the norm now.

1ST RESERVE MODERATOR AFTER STINK. When the time comes, watch out. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.

Recruited by madam, 10th December 2011 09:52.

Too true! But the $64,000 question is: WHY? Or more to the point, what has allowed this disrespect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users