Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

iPhone rule

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

I understand the iPhone is illegal equipment due to the compass and ability to get weather conditions. I have however also heard that local ruling can allow it's use? Can someone clarify. (also find it funny there is a app for R&A rulings for it)

#2 The Good Lord

The Good Lord

Charming Guy with Guitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1750 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

They allow it in Saturday comp at my course, but I don't know how official it is.

#3 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10501 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

It is not legal to use a Distance measuring device unless there is a local rule in place allowing their use. When the local rule is ion place it allows devices that measure distance only. Any phone with Apps that give up to date weather details . Compass Apps or anything else other than distance Information are not legal. Personally I cannot see the local club captain standing next to the first tee Checking to see if each player is carrying an I phone. Or the players Marker peering over his shoulder to check if his phone has a compass in it. I carry my phone on course. It has a compass in it. I do not use the GPS but I am carrying the device because I am on call. Does that mean that I am DQd if I have to answer the phone whilst playing comp.? I believe that it is time that the rule makers Either Banned DMDs altogether or allowed them complete with all apps The present rule is nigh on unenforceable.

#4 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6054 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

So from reading what Pom has written, I should also be DQ if I use my phone mid round to see if that ugly black cloud heading straight at the golf course is in fact a dirty big thunderstorm?? Like this image saved from phone Coonabarabran is my course, we had hid in clubhouse for the early ones and the last one was approaching rapidly I have to carry my phone all the time, for work and family reasons.

#5 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2080 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

It's not a breach of the Rules to look at a weather forecast on the iPhone.

#6 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6054 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

That wasn't a weather forecast that was the up to the minute radar image

#7 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2080 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

Still fine :-)

#8 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10501 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

Then what sort of weather info is not acceptable & how is anyone supposed to know what another player is looking at?

#9 Leroy

Leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

I can understand that the R&A has taken a stance (in the 2012 rules) and said that a device that has functions other than linear distance is not legal. I also believe that an overwhelming number of captains, committees and clubs are not going to enforce this rule in competitions. The tragedy of this approach is that many players will now say that if this rule can be overlooked why should we worry about such things as two signatures on cards etc. etc. etc.

#10 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2080 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Then what sort of weather info is not acceptable & how is anyone supposed to know what another player is looking at?

It's only a breach of the Rules if the gadget can measure weather features directly, e.g. windspeed or temp. How's anyone supposed to know if the player kicks his ball to a better position in the rough or if he's quiet about a movement of the ball? Nothing's new with the electronic gadgets around, we still have to trust the integrety of the players.

#11 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2080 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

I can understand that the R&A has taken a stance (in the 2012 rules) and said that a device that has functions other than linear distance is not legal.

There's no change in the Rules on functions.

#12 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10501 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

There may be no change to the rules on Functions but to my mind Techgnology is leaving the Rules makers behind. How would a player Gain any benefit from knowing the exact wind speed or Direction. As it Fluctuates anyway & what is gained by Knowing the Compass direction . Personally I fail to see what the rules makers are trying to Achieve by allowing thse Smart phones to be used with proviso's. Either allow them as is or totally ban them.

#13 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

At the end of the day no player I have ever played with in comp has complained about me using an iphone. I use it to store my stats as I have a laser rangefinder for distances. There is however, under the rules, a chance that some rule stickler could report my use and have me DQ. It is a risk I gladly take.

#14 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4858 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

An iphone is perfectly ok to use the way you are using it, parbreaker. It's only when it is used as a distance measuring device does it matter if there's a compass or other non-conforming ability on board.

#15 twinkles76

twinkles76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

As I have said before I cant believe your averager golfer would worry about using the iphone for wind and weather reasons.. I have always thought this rule is a way of protecting the makers of the gps only devices.. Just a joke that they sell theses for anywhere between $100-$300 when you can get a gps app on phone for under $40 or even free(not that I have found them)..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users