• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14590 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

The world's top surfer is on the North Shore of Oahu, signing posters for the Pipeline Masters. Described breathlessly -- but rather accurately -- as the Superbowl of Surfing, Pipe is scheduled to begin on Thursday in life-threatening, jaw-dropping waves peaking at 18 feet. Heaving swells will dump their loads on a shallow reef, turning Pipe into a gladiator's pit. With thousands of howling spectators on the sand, man-on-man heats carry the sub-plot of everyone just wanting to get out alive. Ambulances will be on standby. Medical staff shall be in abundance. Slater admits the prospect of rocking and rolling at Pipe fills him with a curious mix of anxiety, excitement and outright fear and so seems relieved when conversation turns to a more genteel pursuit, the good walk spoiled. http://au.news.yahoo...golfing-future/

#2 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3121 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

Little chance of making it as a successful pro golfer.

#3 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

Little chance of making it as a successful pro golfer.

I wouldn't be so sure, he's already a handy golfer. You add time and money in to that equation and he's definitely a chance.

#4 RJ11

RJ11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

maybe for the nationwide or seniors tour

#5 Natnkyls

Natnkyls

Master Chipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2017 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

No chance , no matter how much money and time Not a pro that makes a living from his prizemoney anyway

#6 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

Gunna have to improve a lot on his handicap of 2.

#7 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3121 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

I got to a 1 handicap when I was young and never contemplated the thought of turning pro. A few of my contemparies did and they enjoy selling drinks and chocolate bars now. 1 made it winning 2 tournaments on the aussie pga tour and he now does the above.

#8 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I reckon if Kelly Slater wins 2 titles on the PGA tour I think we could call that succesful. Champions Tour seems more realisitic though

#9 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3845 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

I got to a 1 handicap when I was young and never contemplated the thought of turning pro.

A few of my contemparies did and they enjoy selling drinks and chocolate bars now. 1 made it winning 2 tournaments on the aussie pga tour and he now does the above.

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Ian Poulter was a 3 handicap when he backed himself & turned pro. Haven't seen him selling any drinks or chocolate bars lately.

#10 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Why do they think turning o golf as a second sports option is going to be easy. Others have tried none have made it.

#11 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3121 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

I got to a 1 handicap when I was young and never contemplated the thought of turning pro.

A few of my contemparies did and they enjoy selling drinks and chocolate bars now. 1 made it winning 2 tournaments on the aussie pga tour and he now does the above.

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Ian Poulter was a 3 handicap when he backed himself & turned pro. Haven’t seen him selling any drinks or chocolate bars lately.

Poulter was 18 yrs old and actually was on a 4 handicap. Had plenty of time to improve with age on his side. Slater does not have years on his side.

#12 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

Ian Poulter was a 3 handicap when he backed himself & turned pro. Haven’t seen him selling any drinks or chocolate bars lately.

TTR, well out of order. Tradition is to quote Nick O'Hern as the exception that proves the rule.

#13 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3845 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

Poulter was 18 yrs old and actually was on a 4 handicap. ...

Well Poulter must've had a few head knocks since then b/c I saw a recent interview in which Poulter said that he was working in a pro shop at 22.

#14 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:36 AM

He can turn pro now if he likes. He will get sponsors exemptions to make it look like he has actually made it. Unfortunately he will not have success. He might stay on tours of some sort for years as he has cash flow. If he was broke, he wouldn't last two months out there.

#15 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

Depends on how much he has practiced to get to a 2 handicap. I think that it is possible but not likely. Need more information to make any sweeping comments I think..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users