No replies to this topic

#1 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

Pelz advocates the use of a Pure-In-Line-Square putting stroke. This is most easily understood by a group of four photos on page 77 of his Putting Bible. The first photo shows a putter with the shaft attached at right angles to the head. If this putter is positioned vertically below the shoulders, it will produce a pendulum motion in which the putter face is always square to the line of the putt. The result of using the vertical putter is two-fold. First, the ball needs to be played from quite close to the toes. Second, with the shoulders above the ball, the eyes are not over the ball. In fact the eyes are on the opposite side of the ball to the toes, perhaps 8 inches out of line. This violates the widely held ideal of the eyes being above the ball, or at least on the same line to and from the hole as the ball. Photo two shows a putter with the shaft attached at right angles to the head, but the putter face is much longer. The photo shows two balls. One beneath the shoulders and one beneath the eyes. If the same pendulum motion is used, then the putter face will again always be square to the line of the putt. Photos three shows the long face putter with an additional shaft, but still with the two balls. Photo four shows the original vertical shaft removed so that the putter takes on a traditional putter appearance. The take home message is that if the hands are positioned below the shoulders and the eyes are above the line from the ball to and from the hole, a golfer can achieve a perfect pendulum motion where the putter face is always square to the line of the putt. I see three problems with this approach. First is that if the arms accelerate or slow down, the bend at the wrist will tend to cause the putter face to be opened or closed respectively. Second is that I would need a really short putter to maintain straight arms below my shoulders. Bending the elbows introduces another point where acceleration or slow down will tend to cause the putter face to be opened or closed respectively. Third, try as I might, I cannot get my shoulders to rotate without opening or closing the action. Opening or closing the putter face by one degree will cause the ball to be off line by about 1 inch for every five feet of its path. It might be that it is posible to contain the opening or closing of the club face within that tolerance. Is this pure-in-line-square the best of all possible models for the putting stroke?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users