481 replies to this topic

#1 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

Paul is one of the most respected members of the PGA in Australia and played for over 10 years on tour locally and internationally at all levels. Paul worked his way up to be one of a small handful of Doctorate Level coaches of The Golfing Machine around the world has given him a great understanding of the mechanics of the swing. His years of Tour play have given him a way to express both the realities of the game and his own take of “how to do it and how get there”. He has been a regular contributor on iseekgolf for many years.

#2 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:08 AM

Good to see u have ur own thread mate, look forward to using it.

#3 Tommywatson

Tommywatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

As long as you not coaching Allenby we should be all good mate :):):) HItting is easier than swinging

#4 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Good to see u have ur own thread mate, look forward to using it.

Don’t ever do today what u can put off till tomorrow.

Deepdivot, Thanks mate. Don't be afraid to ask the easy questions.

#5 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Lytham, I can see why now. After about 70 Screenings including a lot of pros and single figure markers, no one is anywhere near a swing. Quite surprising really.

#6 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2484 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

Dart, How does the human body facilitate and coordinate movement in the golf swing and how would you translate this in a golf swing in terminology. As an example Lag?

#7 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

He said easy questions zen...eg when u hit the ball into a strong breeze should u hit the ball high or low?

#8 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Serious note here, I've found that I strike the ball well but lack control, I seem to get good control with a more compact swing and abbreviated finish, including driver however the driver flys very low but straight when I do this, should I look for a more lofted driver, currently 10.5, go back to full swings and miss more fairways than I hit or try something else. I've noticed most pro's don't have the full gumby wrap around finish when hitting irons is this for more control? I want to the ball straighter as this wayward shite is making consistent scoring impossible. When it all comes together I can break 80 but when it doesn't I'm shooting in the 90's

#9 Tommywatson

Tommywatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

I feel hitting is easier as mentally you have the feeling of a simple strong movement into the ball...even though this is not actually the case. Golf seems to me to be about perceptions....ever watched your swing on video after a long time and what you see is not what you think you feel that you do ????....that is how I see Hitting....powerful, easy to repeat but there is still a lot going on to get the job done.......

#10 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

Dart,
How does the human body facilitate and coordinate movement in the golf swing and how would you translate this in a golf swing in terminology. As an example Lag?

Zenstb, There is a programme in the human mind and body that has been there for 100,000 years. These days biomechanics call it a kinetic link. It is easy to do with an implement weighing 2 or 3 Kg like a hammer or an axe but with a 1/2 Kg golf club it has to be retrained measured precisely and trained some more. Faulty proprioception means we can't trust what we think our bodies are doing.

#11 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

He said easy questions zen…eg when u hit the ball into a strong breeze should u hit the ball high or low?

I think I hear the sound of one hand crapping.

#12 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

Serious note here, I’ve found that I strike the ball well but lack control, I seem to get good control with a more compact swing and abbreviated finish, including driver however the driver flys very low but straight when I do this, should I look for a more lofted driver, currently 10.5, go back to full swings and miss more fairways than I hit or try something else.

I’ve noticed most pro’s don’t have the full gumby wrap around finish when hitting irons is this for more control?

I want to the ball straighter as this wayward shite is making consistent scoring impossible. When it all comes together I can break 80 but when it doesn’t I’m shooting in the 90’s

Deepdivot, Mate when you hit the 1st tee, what ever gets it in play willy nilly as best as hand eye coordination will allow must suffice. If you play for enough money week after week you would know that. There are years of development to deepen the skills so as you have more choice but for now it is chip, pitch or punch the ball in play. One pupil was 4 under after nine yesterday and did not know how to handle it. One thing is for sure he will learn. I always had 3 drivers 8, 10 and 12 degrees. I kept wearing out the 12. It is so easy and I could always hit a rolling hook into the wind with it. The 10 would not get off the ground unless I flipped it. The key is great contact even if it is shorter. Read The Talent Code or you may waste you life.

#13 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

I feel hitting is easier as mentally you have the feeling of a simple strong movement into the ball…even though this is not actually the case. Golf seems to me to be about perceptions….ever watched your swing on video after a long time and what you see is not what you think you feel that you do ????....that is how I see Hitting….powerful, easy to repeat but there is still a lot going on to get the job done…....

Two nice things about hitting are that you can change you mind on the downswing and turn the club more or less - a swing must be committed to; and you can waste all the strength you like on it. The swing has to be measured perfectly and always inside max.

#14 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Two nice things about hitting are that you can change you mind on the downswing and turn the club more or less – a swing must be committed to; and you can waste all the strength you like on it. The swing has to be measured perfectly and always inside max.

Dart, how late in the hit can you change your mind and when is it too late in the hit to consciously change what will happen?

#15 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Dart, whilst I'm here I'd like to follow up another question
Yes Hogan and I agree on hand action :) The non hand action is a bent left wrist as in Hogans Modern Fundamentals.
Is the bent (raised?) left wrist advice in Five Lessons just Hogan’s way of advising to maintain the lag (as it is now often called) whilst releasing the club or is there more to it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users