• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Auntie Fester

Auntie Fester

Sit on my knee and tell me what you want for Christmas

• Administrators
  • 7288 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

This is the area to ask the full panel about any questions you may have. The pros are generally busy in their daily career but someone will answer usually fairly quick. http://www.iseekgolf...-forum-launched

#2 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

Cool. I'll start as I saw Golfsavvy is a expert on clubs but all feel free to chime in. As it is Xmas soon all the catalogues, sales and offers of the new wiz bang golf clubs has hit our peripheral vision. I was curious as to weather a club change for myself would be just buying a name brand of what I already have? And if more practice and lessons would be better? For example I currently have a standard Wilson package set in cavity back and saw a Taylormade Burner 2.0 pack. Are they different enough to bother? I'm a 25 hcp. Thanks

#3 Derek_PGA

Derek_PGA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Cool. I’ll start as I saw Golfsavvy is a expert on clubs but all feel free to chime in.
As it is Xmas soon all the catalogues, sales and offers of the new wiz bang golf clubs has hit our peripheral vision.
I was curious as to weather a club change for myself would be just buying a name brand of what I already have? And if more practice and lessons would be better?
For example I currently have a standard Wilson package set in cavity back and saw a Taylormade Burner 2.0 pack. Are they different enough to bother? I’m a 25 hcp. Thanks

TP534
The other AB (AB2)
’The Drop Bear Commeth’

Good question AB. I will let Golfsavvy respond to the club fitting part of your question. On the topic of equipment versus lessons, I always look at the students equipment and assess whether what they have will limit them in achieving their goals. That assessment is not only in terms of club design but also shaft flex, length, lie angle, grip size, etc. The thing to remember is that your old swing patterns will still be there with a new set of clubs. So no matter how good the clubs you may see some improvements but equipment alone will not transform your game. If it is at all possible to only upgrade the key areas of your equipment and squeeze in a few lessons, that would be ideal. And guys, I am sure it will take all of us some time to get used to the new rules. We will work at it together.

#4 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Allegingbow, Get the lessons and make the new set a treat when you get to 15 or so. If you buy the clubs you will still be on 25, they won't make the difference.

#5 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

Q for Dart,first up ,hope your well. Mate,I was given a putter last week by an old mate,its a simple brass heel toe type,but when I had a prac with it,it seemed like any other putter,"but" when I began using the sweetspot plane feel after impact they began dropping in with ease,is that a common thing with,or better word..feel with putter......... In retrospect,I get the feeling that Im heading down to ss/plane just prior to impact and into post impact Im on it. Hope you follow this question,its a bit hard to explain.... Thanks in advance..........BM

#6 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

Brownman, Congratulations on finding a putter you love. Like most love you have to want it bad and nurture it as long as you can. Never take it for granted. A new anything has a new feel that feel can communicate with your soul, and wonderful things happen. The sweet spot plane is a great concept.

#7 Evan71

Evan71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

Allegingbow,

Get the lessons and make the new set a treat when you get to 15 or so. If you buy the clubs you will still be on 25, they won’t make the difference.

For tuition in Sydney call Paul Hart (TheDart) 0412 070 820.

Terry Hill’s, St. Michael’s or Duntryleague Golf Club Orange

An official iseekgolf.com teaching panelist.

Dart and others, is the general feeling that clubfitting is only for those with lower (15 or less) handicaps, even if coupled with lessons? Part two of my question is, given that most higher handicappers (15+) will have inconsistencies in their swings, how does a good clubfitter determine which swings to use the data from to recommend the right shaft / club combination? Thanks Evan

#8 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

For a lesson. What should I ask/look for? I have posted my swing before should I maybe post a fresh one? Should it incorporate a close up of my grip? I have a hard time justifying a $70 lesson. May just be my stubbornness but I'm scared of getting scammed. Or a bandaid solution so I have to return.

#9 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Evan, Glad you are back and hope you are getting somewhere. Sure players are inconsistent. You shoe size stays the same like your shirt and hat size. Your lie angle may never change same as the shaft flex and weight. Much of the inconsistency come from mismatching driver and irons. Bad driver can ruin the iron swing. The wrong lie angle make the ball go different direction with long and short clubs. The ensuing confusion could kill a horse let alone a golf swing. The right clubs do make a difference.

#10 Evan71

Evan71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

Evan,

Glad you are back and hope you are getting somewhere.

Sure players are inconsistent. You shoe size stays the same like your shirt and hat size. Your lie angle may never change same as the shaft flex and weight.

Much of the inconsistency come from mismatching driver and irons. Bad driver can ruin the iron swing. The wrong lie angle make the ball go different direction with long and short clubs. The ensuing confusion could kill a horse let alone a golf swing.

The right clubs do make a difference.

For tuition in Sydney call Paul Hart (TheDart) 0412 070 820.

Terry Hill’s, St. Michael’s or Duntryleague Golf Club Orange

An official iseekgolf.com teaching panelist.

Cheers Dart and yes I'm making progress, it might have something to do with not flipping at the ball as much.... You mentioned above that a mismatch between irons and driver can be a problem. Is this more likely if there is a huge difference in shaft characteristics, for example, my irons are 105g reg shafts and my driver is a 55g stiff shaft. Thanks Evan

#11 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

Evan, I think so but it is so easy to find a good fitter. He will take you through every possibility of shaft head and grip possibilities. He won't be in a shop with a computer but out in the fresh air where the ball can show you what is right. You must know Jason Laws where you are.

#12 UnplayableLiar

UnplayableLiar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

Hi Guys, Just a quick question. I've got my eye on a set of vintage blades. I like the old stuff and plan on using them. (I had the same clubs years ago and loved them) . But these irons have jumbo grips. I have average size hands. New grips would cost more than the clubs. What likely effect would the larger grips have on a golf swing? Thanks

#13 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

The video below will help you understand the effect of a grip that might be too large for your hands. Enjoy... Grip size lesson

#14 UnplayableLiar

UnplayableLiar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

Thanks HeadPro, Just a suggestion, if you ever go to that guy's place for a BBQ, AVOID THE SALAD

#15 Th_mper

Th_mper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:43 AM

How can I get run from my driver, I currently have a Cougar T3- 10 degree reg flex low torque/mid kick.Ball flight is usually high with a slight fade to slice.In most cases the ball usually stops within a metre of where it lands,(unless the fairway is rock hard).Normal carry is around 180

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users