#9781 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38503 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

I thought Muzz was the undersized Kiwi grip?

Don't touch him.

• Snappy McSnapperton and ink like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#9782 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1806 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

I've got an undersized manhood, if you want to grab a feel next time.

• Weetbix likes this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#9783 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13644 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

That's it reporting this **** to Disney...........

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#9784 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35173 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

I've got an undersized manhood, if you want to grab a feel next time.

what happens on the west gate, stays on the west gate...

• Snappy McSnapperton likes this

#9785 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19569 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

Update time ....... and I had a practice 18 holes yesterday up at Beacy using the new chunky Rife putter grip, and it worked very nicely.

I reckon I've some sort of feel back with the shortest club in the bag, and I had a few decent length putts drop nicely in the cups.

The main thing though, was in feeling the length of the putts and then having them finish up close.

That's the real benefit I see in having a grip that just feels right ….. it's in having a feel for distance, and in gaining confidence in what your trying to do out there.

I hit some from within 10 feet, some from 10-20, and some 30 footers plus, and all were around the mark and easy 2 putts.

I had a few downhill putts over the back half of the course and by then, I was just putting my old confident stroke on them and not worrying about them missing (which is something I haven't been able to do of late).

Aside from the putting, the rest of the game was pretty good, with me hitting some nice straight drives with a slightly changed set-up.

Playing the ball just a touch more forward than usual, and having the clubhead up behind the ball. rather than a fagpacket's width behind the ball (in the middle of the stance) had me more consistent and straighter off the tee, so I just went with it for the round and it worked well. My bad miss with driver is usually when I hang back, and in having the clubhead set up forward of middle at address, it reminds me that I just have to shift the weight in my swing, and to get through the ball properly.

My iron's were pretty good (a couple of barely okay ones) ……. and I was chipping with short irons wherever possible (rather than wedges). That's going to take a bit of getting used to, and a fair bit of homework on my part, in order to get the various iron's carry and roll distances (with a normal set-up) firmly in my bonce for future reference . but it's all learning, so its got to be a good thing longer term (thanks Jon)

So that's golf done for now until the weekend …..  :D

• iRON MiCK likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9786 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19569 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

Update time from today's Monthly Medal Par Comp.

Started off okay with a par, then lost the next hole with a bad chip from down below the hole. Played steady golf for several holes and came in at half time with a two over (plus 1).

Wiped the 10th after a bad tee shot, (well a bad 4 shots on that hole) with left me with little hope of sinking the bunker shot for my par.

Played solid golf again for another 5 or 6 holes, and then blew a few good chances over the remaining 3 holes to end up with -2.

So -1 for the day ( 7 over par).

I blew chances on several holes where I get a shot today ……. 5, 7, 16, and 17, which was really annoying, given I'd hit every single fairway on those holes, and then gone and stuffed up ...… there's just no excuse for that.

Anyway, that's golf done for another week or so, which will seem like forever, but hey, I had fun out there today with the boys, and made the most of my time on course ……… so that's all you can ask for I reckon …. good times !!  :D

• Weetbix, iRON MiCK and ink like this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#9787 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41669 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:04 AM

I hate stuffing up a hole from the middle of the fairway, especially if it's a short iron or wedge in

So frustrating

And way too common lately
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9788 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19569 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

I hate stuffing up a hole from the middle of the fairway, especially if it's a short iron or wedge in

So frustrating

And way too common lately

Yep, this all too common I reckon Brendan.

The thing is, we often go much harder off the tee given there is no real distance restriction in place with our swings ……. yet once we have an iron or wedge in hand, and a set distance to go, we can at times second guess ourselves during the actual swing. 

For instance, we may have to take just a couple of metres off a particular shot, so we take a slightly shorter and slower swing, and end up leaving our approach shot a lot bloody shorter. I really hate that when I've got another 20m in the tank on a given club, yet I've gone too easy on it.

There are though, so many ways to stuff up an approach shot ……. I just think we don't practice them enough, with the short irons and wedges, so we end up scrambling on so many holes, instead of looking at birdie putts.

Perhaps we just don't realise the true value of them, I don't know …..  :mellow:

WINS

#9789 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19569 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

Update time, Sunday Stableford ........ 31 points. (11 over)

16 on the front half, way too many over par in the cold breezy conditions. No feel in the hands early on, and there were lots of wasted chances on the greens. (5 over)

That continued on the back half of the course with some decent holes being spoilt by missing lots of short putts I'd normally drain. Several 3 putt greens, and nothing of note even looking like being sunk. With all the recent rain the greens were just a touch slower than normal and I never got the pace of them.

Both the driver and irons were ok during the round without being "on" … but it was just a bit of a nothing round.

You get that though, when you feel everything is just a touch off, and nothing was really working to it's optimum, and it all added up to a final score in the 80's.

I'm still using the 12 degree Titleist driver (been a month or two now) and I'm still to really dial it in, so I might have a practice today and change some settings on it …… otherwise it may be off to the sin bin soon.

Tis all good fun though, and it was great to be out there yesterday in what seems like my once a week comp these days ......... :)

• iRON MiCK likes this

WINS

#9790 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19569 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

Update time, despite no on course activity.

I had a sim session at work the other day with my 12 degree Titleist driver, and my 8.5 Titleist, in order to try and work out the optimum driver head and setting …… (both driver heads using the same Rip Phenom Stiff shaft).

After a lot of swapping and changing of heads and settings, amid the belting of balls, all with about 90% effort, there was no clear or obvious ideal to be found in either club configuration……… so basically they've both been sacked, and told to go away and have a good hard look at themselves.

In the interim, I've raided the golf cupboard at home and dug out an old 9.5 Degree TM Burner, with your standard lightweight TM Stiff shaft of the day) added an inch back onto it (due to a previous experiment), put a decent grip on it, and slotted it into the golf bag in readiness for Sunday's comp round.

Time will tell how that goes, as my first belt of it in years will be on course.

I have also done a bit of work on my very recent abysmal putting, which I think may pay dividends. I've been hitting lots of short putts recently and missing them, and I noticed that my backswing could best be described as like a drunken driver weaving his way home from the pub. My hands/arms move the club outside and then inside etc.

Once I started to try and address it though …… eg, monitoring to ensure that the clubhead actually went back in a straight line, lo and behold, the putts started dropping again.

It's a work in progress (isn't everything in terms of golf) but its a step in the right direction I think, so yet another thing for me to be mindful of in future ……  :)

• Forrest Gardener likes this

WINS

#9791 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2409 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

Should you put the TM burner thru its paces in the sim before the weekend, so that you have a realistic idea of where it's going before blindly gaming it ? You've done so much research to dismiss the other bigdogs but will trust an old faithful just on, hope ???

Jon...

• Francie likes this

#9792 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19569 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

Should you put the TM burner thru its paces in the sim before the weekend, so that you have a realistic idea of where it's going before blindly gaming it ? You've done so much research to dismiss the other bigdogs but will trust an old faithful just on, hope ???

Jon...

In an ideal world yes Jon.

As it worked out though, the rest of the early morning comp field pulled out this morning (as expected), so I had the chance to play half a dozen practice holes up at Beacy and put the old Burner through its paces, before the anticipated icy deluge occurred.

Distance off the driver was pretty similar to what I'm used to seeing, and the Burner sat pretty well at address. Shaping shots with it wasn't too bad, (given my lack of practice), so it will stay in the bag for my next actual comp round .. due on Thursday, (weather and soft ###### playing partners permitting).

I was also having a crack this morning at finding myself a new ball to game …….. today it was the turn of Wilson's FG Tour ball … a 4 piece ball with a soft urethane cover.

It felt nice and solid on both driver and iron shots, and very soft around the greens on the short chips and putts, so it's definitely an option going forward.

I'm also going to reacquaint myself with the Callaway's Chromesoft at some stage, (as I've got a couple of them to use as well) …….. so it's nice to know there is more than one ball option that may suit me going forward.

So, despite a crap day weatherwise, and a lack of playing partners for comp play, I managed to get what I wanted out of the day . so that was nice ….  :D

• iRON MiCK and Chip in King. 😜 like this

WINS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users