Photo

GPJ’s Journey to ... God Knows Where

• Please log in to reply
9790 replies to this topic

#9736 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:07 PM

Well played Adam Scott

Thanks Micky. ;)

• iRON MiCK likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9737 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

Update time, and after what seems like an age, I managed to get out on a golf course again.

Monday practice session up at Beacy ........ tweaking driver across a range of settings (to no real change in result).

Playing 2balls from the fairway and hitting different shapes with irons .......good fun, and hopefully some good learning the result.

Practiced some bunker shots, and came to the conclusion that I need more bounce on the wedges at this time of year.

Chipping practice ........ focussing on using the "bounce" (what little bounce I have).

Results, a couple of birdies, lots of solid pars, and a couple of lazy bogeys over 14 holes.

Homework ......

Got 3 Mizuno wedges out from the golf cupboard ........dusted them off, and put newer grips on them ... 51,56, 60 degrees.

They have more bounce than my 3 current gamers, which will come in handy given the heavy ground and bunker conditions.

And a slight change to the upcoming work roster means I am now free to play comp on Saturday, which will be fun, cause it seems like ages since I've hit a ball when there were actual consequences .....(Shame it's bloody Par format though).. :)

• Madam and hack2489 like this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#9738 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

With all that refinement AND a par event you must be a shoe in for a birdie bonanza. Post round synopsis will surely entertain. Can you pick up the mouldy mantle in his absence?

#9739 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41654 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

Unlikely Mouldy Gaz needs birdies for pluses most of the time so let’s hope it is one
  • Rusty_Chopper_1984 and hack2489 like this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9740 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

With all that refinement AND a par event you must be a shoe in for a birdie bonanza. Post round synopsis will surely entertain. Can you pick up the mouldy mantle in his absence?

I've never been a fan of Par format for some reason, hacky.

I think it can change my focus at times from actually trying to get the ball in the hole, in the least number of shots.

If I've got a shot on a hole, then in par format for some stupid reason ....... I tend to play it try and play it conservatively, so I don't stuff up, rather than just play my normal game of going for "par or better" on every hole.

When I tend to hold back on shots, which I seem to do more of in PAR .....then that's when I get in trouble.

Tis just another thing for me to work on I guess .... ;)

• hack2489 likes this

WINS

#9741 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:08 PM

Homework ......

Got 3 Mizuno wedges out from the golf cupboard ........dusted them off, and put newer grips on them ... 51,56, 60 degrees.

They have more bounce than my 3 current gamers, which will come in handy given the heavy ground and bunker conditions.

And speaking of which ..... I'm taking the freshly re-gripped Mizuno wedges to work with me tomorrow, as I need to adjust the lie angles on them.

The "toes" of the 3 wedges at address currently resemble some Italian leather shoes (eg the toes curl upwards).

The Mizuno wedge "standard lie angle" is 63 degrees, but I reckon mine are sitting a bit more upright than that at the moment.

So, I'll measure em first, then give them a slight bend flatter, see how they sit at address "post bend", and have a hit in the simulator.

Golf is such hard work ........ :rolleyes:

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 19 June 2018 - 04:09 PM.

• Francie and hack2489 like this

WINS

#9742 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

Interesting tweak of the mizuno wedges at work yesterday.

The toes were pointing up at address, (static fitting), yet when I did the old lie tape on the sole and hit them, it showed that I was still hitting them a touch towards the toe ... (toe still needs to come up).

According to the mp standard wedge lie angle of 63 degrees ....... when measured they were already a touch above that number (hence them already looking upright to my eye.

It seems however that they aren't upright enough given the marks on the soles ..... so more bending was required.

Just north of 65 1/2 degrees, and with the toes ever more skyward at address, I was flushing them straight (yet still the sole marks remained just a touch off centre and towards the toe).

It seems my full swing with the wedges is pretty damned upright (which isn't a bad thing, so long as the face is pointed correctly), but for short chips it may pose something of an issue, with the toe busy waving its titts off to all and sundry, and the heel threatening to "dig in" on the chip shots.

So I have a choice I figure ....... bend em back down to where they sit reasonably flat on the deck and focus on short chips, thus forcing myself to swing flat on the longer shots ..... or leave them alone, play with the toes in the air on full shots ..... and then just stand more upright on the chips to bring the toes down.

At the moment I'm in favour of the longer shots and leaving the lies for now ..... and just standing taller on my chips to flatten them out ....... I'll see how they go on Saturday, and then make some sort of "fact based" decision for a change.

In other club news, I have a new purchase winging its way to me from Melbourne via the bay of E.

I've snapped up a 913D2 Titleist driver head (same as mine), but with an additional 3 and 1/2 degrees o loft. The reason being a couple of them.

1. I hit my driver low on the face way too often

2. To circumvent the low face impact I use 4 inch tees. (not ideal in terms of angle of attack etc

3. The shaft in my driver is a "mid to low" flight, 70 gram stiff job (Rip Phenom) one of the lowest of the Titleist custom shaft range)

4. The ball I am currently using is the AVX which is indeed a slightly lower flying ball than others I have played

5. Winter's coming Jon Snow.

So, I figure by buying more loft (going from 8.5 to 12) it will help to negate a few, if not most, of those current hindrances to my driving ability.

The driver head may turn up tomorrow and if so, it will be in the bag immediately ....... If not, it means I can take it to work when it does turn up, and crunch some numbers to dial it in . so all's good. :)

WINS

#9743 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41654 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

Noice!
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9744 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13582 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

I still am in awe of the 4 inch tees...
  • GPJ_Longdriver likes this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#9745 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Gaz the gap wedge is the last club that we swing full and flat out in the bag, so it has to be set for maximum toe down droop. Hence the lie angle test is important. The sandiron and lob wedges are usually set about the same as pitching wedge or maybe even 1/2 a degree less because you will rarely put a full swing on them and bend the shaft to the max. They're the strongest shafts in your set of irons and the flatter lie angles allow you to play the shorter touch shots, from 10 to 60 metres.

These smaller and softer shots are quite often played with the clubface laid open and a slight cut swing to use the bounce properly. Unfortunately some of the shaft manufacturers only make tapered shafts down to 37" now, so alot of sets have the 9 iron shaft in all of their clubs from 9 iron to lob wedge ( softer flex with more action ) If you're forced or need to make a full swing with the sand or lob wedge it isn't that hard to get the ball position a little different to accommodate the shot that you require. Generally the ball flight will be straight to a slight fade and higher with the flatter lie settings on those wedges, so more control and accurate !

The RIP Phenom shaft you have been gaming is a mid kick point shaft with a moderately stiff tip, 3.6 torque, middle of the road ? The weight of the shaft is in the middle 70's so heavier and definitely plays stronger than stiff flex, probably in between S and X flex. If it's the .350 tip then it is firm and not that helpful. It might be a great combination with the new 12 degree driver head that's coming :)   

Jon  

#9746 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

Gaz the gap wedge is the last club that we swing full and flat out in the bag, so it has to be set for maximum toe down droop. Hence the lie angle test is important. The sandiron and lob wedges are usually set about the same as pitching wedge or maybe even 1/2 a degree less because you will rarely put a full swing on them and bend the shaft to the max. They're the strongest shafts in your set of irons and the flatter lie angles allow you to play the shorter touch shots, from 10 to 60 metres.

These smaller and softer shots are quite often played with the clubface laid open and a slight cut swing to use the bounce properly. Unfortunately some of the shaft manufacturers only make tapered shafts down to 37" now, so alot of sets have the 9 iron shaft in all of their clubs from 9 iron to lob wedge ( softer flex with more action ) If you're forced or need to make a full swing with the sand or lob wedge it isn't that hard to get the ball position a little different to accommodate the shot that you require. Generally the ball flight will be straight to a slight fade and higher with the flatter lie settings on those wedges, so more control and accurate !

The RIP Phenom shaft you have been gaming is a mid kick point shaft with a moderately stiff tip, 3.6 torque, middle of the road ? The weight of the shaft is in the middle 70's so heavier and definitely plays stronger than stiff flex, probably in between S and X flex. If it's the .350 tip then it is firm and not that helpful. It might be a great combination with the new 12 degree driver head that's coming :)   

Jon  

Much appreciated Jon.

WINS

#9747 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

Jon  

Thanks for that Jon ........ I had some pc trouble so I couldn't reply fully before now.

With my wedges I figured that "toe down" factor would be in play with full swings. I remember you looking at that back when we did my wedge lie angles a couple of years ago.

I do tend to swing fully with my wedges around Beacy though, as a fair few holes are driver-wedge combination for me.... so I went with the "dynamic lie" of the full swing "toe up". (That was based on some sim work where the ball flight went okay despite the horrid look of the clubheads on the deck)

It seems to be working pretty well at the moment in the real world, with just an upright stance and swing plane and going right at the flagstick.

I seem to be getting a nice high and straight ball flight with all 3 wedges, so I just try to ignore the toe "waving in the air" at address and put some trust in them ....... and it appears to be working.

With my driver, I've now got the 12 degree head, and had a practice with it on the sim yesterday (before this morning, putting it into play out on the course).

After playing around with the settings I got the following data:

An average launch angle in the sim of 14 degrees (high of 16, and a low 11) ..... 8 or 9 drives in total

Spin rate , 2659 ave, (2766 high,  2562 low ) so not much spread, and pretty much in the ballpark

Average carry of 221m, (224 high, 218 low)

Roll out to 235m  (242high, low 231)..........

I was pretty happy with that launch angle though, (given my usual figure is somewhere around 10 -11 degrees).

I adjusted the driver loft down a touch in order to get that 14 degree launch (11.25 degrees). I reckon I could choose between 3 loft settings that I reckon that are playable given the spin rate and launch figures. (As some of the other driver settings showed similar results)

Either way, I must have only a slightly upward angle of attack now, which is good (that was without a 4 inch tee in play, which was one thing I really wanted to achieve out of the new head).

It's much easier to give it "the beans" when your not trying to hit a glancing upward blow, so it felt pretty solid just swinging down and through.

So, onto the real world now ...... And out on course today it was pretty consistent despite not putting my best swings on more than a few of them. It was definitely a higher ball flight for sure, and a nice launch angle, but no real change in distance to speak of (I wasn't swinging too well in the cold mist)

So the signs are good initially that I'm on the right track, and it should lead to less gymnastics on the tee in trying to coax the ball up into the air on a good trajectory I reckon.

WINS

#9748 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

A late update from Saturday's PAR comp round.

-2 after 9 holes, and just a few errant ones when I least needed them. A couple of bad tee shots with the old driver and irons, and a couple of poor chips, no feel for the putter.

Coffee, dart and then a birdie on 10 to put some confidence back into the game (short lived) ...... I did manage a couple more birdies on the back half (13 and 16) ..... for a +2 effort on that 9 hole.

So all square after the round.

Highlights ......... my full swing wedge shots were pretty tidy and on the monet once I'd warmed up ...... and then my putting started to come back to me on the back half of the course.

With playing the Titleist AVX ball, I still haven't quite got the feel of it with the putter, and it seems to take me half a round until I finally start to gauge the weight well. I either drop em short, or roll them past the hole early on. 

I can't really afford to have 9 holes of "average putting" each round, so despite really liking the feel of the AVX ball with the 13 other clubs .......... I reckon it might have to go.

I might have to raid my secret stockpile of NXTs in order to give me a chance of dropping some putts on the front half of the course ....... if only I could remember the safe's combination .......  ;) 

WINS

#9749 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19565 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Update time from Sunday's Stableford comp ... and a crappy front 9 holes in the freezing cold this morning .... about 11 points or so.

Started to thaw out once the sun got up, and a warm coffee hit the stomach, and I played to my handicap or thereabouts on the back half to finish with 30 points in total.

Not much good of note in terms of skill, and a lot of rusty golf shots.

I really should play later on in the morning I reckon, as I just don't get warmed up in the freezing cold, and trying to hit long iron and 3W shots when the fingers are numb isn't much fun.

Still, its my choice when I play, so I'll either "suck it up princess", or make a change. ;)   

• Weetbix likes this

WINS

#9750 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35364 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

Update time from Sunday's Stableford comp ... and a crappy front 9 holes in the freezing cold this morning .... about 11 points or so.

Started to thaw out once the sun got up, and a warm coffee hit the stomach, and I played to my handicap or thereabouts on the back half to finish with 30 points in total.

Not much good of note in terms of skill, and a lot of rusty golf shots.

I really should play later on in the morning I reckon, as I just don't get warmed up in the freezing cold, and trying to hit long iron and 3W shots when the fingers are numb isn't much fun.

Still, its my choice when I play, so I'll either "suck it up princess", or make a change. ;)   

Yeah...we've got an early morning tomorrow Gaz...and apparently it's going to be 2 degrees    :o

• Weetbix likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users