Photo

GPJ’s Journey to ... God Knows Where

• Please log in to reply
9927 replies to this topic

#9421 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

Update time from this morning's Stableford round.

The hip was a bit stiff and painful again this morning, I figure its probably flaring up again from a long day and evening "standing" at work, as it appears to be at it's worst on Saturday's after a 10 hour shift the previous day.

Anyway, onto the golf, and it was a pretty ordinary start to bogey the opening two holes, then scramble pars on the next two holes. I managed another bogey on 5, a birdie on 6, than another bogey on 7 before rounding out the front half in 3 over (18 points).

The hip had shown no sign of loosening up, so I just kept swinging through anyway, and got a nice jolt down the front leg with each full shot.

Onto the back half, and after a couple of solid holes I was up near the 12th green in two (on the front fringe) and took four more shots to get it in the hole, for a well compiled double bogey 6, bastard!!!.

That was the last blemish on the card, it went par, par, par, par, birdie, and par to finish ..... for a 1 over back half (or 20 points).

So a 4 over 75 total, or 38 points.

Highlights ........ some putts were good, a couple of nice flop shots with the 60 degree, my irons were just rubbish today, hopefully they were just due to the body issue, but the driver went okay, despite being bit agricultural on some of the swings .

A fun day out though with the boys ......... lots of laughs and good natured banter, and we managed to beat most of the heat teeing off so early ..... :)

• Talart likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9422 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Gaz , you failed to mention one of the highlights , please, allow me. ‘‘Twas the 15th and the stakes were raised for our reg all in ntp , and so was the preparation as ea player stepped up. With military precision gaz had paced out his distance , teed up and about to pull the trigger , when I went aghhhhhhh. More than 2 clubs from the pegs. Amid the mutteriings , gaz reset , whilst boiling underneath. A lusty short iron skewed left and nailed a seriously good rick o’shea that went right angle other side of fairway , if u call it that on a par 3 to be 40m out behind a tall eucalyptus tree

With my mates ribbing me for pissing gaz off whilst we stood the green waiting then wooshka , if it wasn’t one of the best pitch shots you’d ever see, over the tree , checked and rolled <1m to the flag , then simple putt for par

There you have it , as I said to gaz afterward , had I not. pulled you up , we likely not ever see that shot,
  • *Mouldy, Talart and hack2489 like this

#9423 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14570 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

Nice 1 Dave.... :D

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#9424 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

Gaz , you failed to mention one of the highlights , please, allow me. ‘‘Twas the 15th and the stakes were raised for our reg all in ntp , and so was the preparation as ea player stepped up. With military precision gaz had paced out his distance , teed up and about to pull the trigger , when I went aghhhhhhh. More than 2 clubs from the pegs. Amid the mutteriings , gaz reset , whilst boiling underneath. A lusty short iron skewed left and nailed a seriously good rick o’shea that went right angle other side of fairway , if u call it that on a par 3 to be 40m out behind a tall eucalyptus tree

With my mates ribbing me for pissing gaz off whilst we stood the green waiting then wooshka , if it wasn’t one of the best pitch shots you’d ever see, over the tree , checked and rolled <1m to the flag , then simple putt for par

There you have it , as I said to gaz afterward , had I not. pulled you up , we likely not ever see that shot,

I feel GPJ is editing his record keeping.

Might be best if you do his write ups for a while, or, at least, an editors edition such as this each time.

Edited by hack2489, 11 March 2018 - 07:08 AM.

• Francie and WasabiPea_Shooter like this

#9425 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

Update time from this morning's Stableford round.

The hip was a bit stiff and painful again this morning, I figure its probably flaring up again from a long day and evening "standing" at work, as it appears to be at it's worst on Saturday's after a 10 hour shift the previous day.

Anyway, onto the golf, and it was a pretty ordinary start to bogey the opening two holes, then scramble pars on the next two holes. I managed another bogey on 5, a birdie on 6, than another bogey on 7 before rounding out the front half in 3 over (18 points).

The hip had shown no sign of loosening up, so I just kept swinging through anyway, and got a nice jolt down the front leg with each full shot.

So a 4 over 75 total, or 38 points.

Highlights ........ some putts were good, a couple of nice flop shots with the 60 degree, my irons were just rubbish today, hopefully they were just due to the body issue, but the driver went okay, despite being bit agricultural on some of the swings .

A fun day out though with the boys ......... lots of laughs and good natured banter, and we managed to beat most of the heat teeing off so early ..... :)

Well played mate, it is refreshing and encouraging to see a golfer note a physical issue that just has to be played through to get a result. A good result at that as well with our course now rated at 111 I need 39 stableford points to break my handicap in a round. Does having to push the limits of 'average' and get a "better than average" result figure in your golf mind set, when playing competition rounds?  

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#9426 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

A good result at that as well with our course now rated at 111 I need 39 stableford points to break my handicap in a round. Does having to push the limits of 'average' and get a "better than average" result figure in your golf mind set, when playing competition rounds?  

Not really Tal..... for me its all about par or better whenever I stand on any tee.

I rarely if ever think about the points and how they are going, cause I don't really care about them these days.

I have a good marker who only tells me the total at the halfway mark each round, and the first thing I do is convert those points against my target of par ....... so 18 points at the halfway stage and I know I'm 3 over, and that I need to try and make up for those 3 errors.

For me its just pitting myself against a specific holes par, and trying to ensure at least a par on the hole, (and hopefully give myself a decent chance at a birdie putt).

When par is lost on a hole I do tend to start thinking about the next hole (even if I'm still putting out) which at times can bite me on the butt in terms of being a touch careless.

With our course rating of 114 though, and a usual DSR of around 2 below par ...... 38 points is probably playing to our handicaps, which of course becomes harder the lower you go.

I guess not thinking about points is one way to circumvent any "pressure" one might feel, because going for par or better on each hole doesn't really feel like pressure.

I really enjoy the challenge of the game, so when I put a tee shot into the trees, I'm actually look forward to the challenge of working out how I can still get my par.

This means that I don't drop my head when I hit a bad one, and actually increases the concentration levels, which is a good method I think for not compounding a bad shot by hitting another one due to being angry or just not focussed.

For me, two bad ones in a row, is the worst sin I can possibly commit on a golf course, and thankfully, they are few and far between, as the added focus after a bad one tends to bring about a decent recovery shot.

Like everything though .... its all a work in progress, but the mental side of golf is a pretty important component I think .... :)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 11 March 2018 - 05:34 PM.

• Can Break 80 likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

#9427 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, thanks for that Dave.

Those extra couple of metres behind the markers would have meant a full 8 iron for me, but bringing me forward meant it was now something less than a full 8 iron in, which then put doubt into my head, which as you saw ...... resulted in that horrid half-swing almost shank to the trees.

I did like the challenge of the downhill lob shot off the bare lie though (post ricochet) ... that's just the sort of situation I practice those lob shots over the "island garden bed" in the middle of the practice green, pre round for. :D

• WasabiPea_Shooter likes this

WINS

#9428 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

"Like everything though .... its all a work in progress, but the mental side of golf is a pretty important component I think"

Absolutely agree with the importance of the mental component of golfing. I have a very similar game process as you, especial the attitude of not 'dropping the head'. As always it is great to get a comparison and run it alongside my game brain and see particular differences. The state of mind during a competition round is a specific target for my coming season. It is acceptable at present, if I want to remain mediocre. I see your description and realize I am not stepping up to the potential best golf I can play often enough. Thanks for the detailed responce.

• Tonk likes this

#9429 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

Gaz I don’t think I’ve ever played with anyone that relishes the challenge of a dead set bastard of a lie like you do, you’ve hit some beauties , that was one of the best

#9430 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

"Like everything though .... its all a work in progress, but the mental side of golf is a pretty important component I think"

Absolutely agree with the importance of the mental component of golfing. I have a very similar game process as you, especial the attitude of not 'dropping the head'. As always it is great to get a comparison and run it alongside my game brain and see particular differences. The state of mind during a competition round is a specific target for my coming season. It is acceptable at present, if I want to remain mediocre. I see your description and realize I am not stepping up to the potential best golf I can play often enough. Thanks for the detailed responce.

No problem Tal.

It's always good to get differing views on the game I think, because we can definitely learn something from how others play the game, and that goes for any level of golfer I believe.

You certainly don't have to be a low marker to be someone who's brain is worthy of picking when it comes to golf. I've gleaned some really beneficial insights and ideas from much higher handicapped players than myself, and continue to do so.

As for comp rounds, they're really no different to any other round we might play (I've long since given up practicing, so my only real golf is in comp mode).

I think though, that we should be trying to improve any time we stand over a golf ball, and we should be trying to learn from every bad shot we ever hit.

Those few seconds after we play a shot are probably the most valuable in golf I think. We should be analysing and working out what we did, or what went wrong, and learning from the ball and divot in order to reduce the error.

I actually expect to hit good shots each and every time (which is completely unrealistic I know), so when they come off I'm not really surprised ...... but when I hit a bad one I certainly take note, and I'd better be working out how and why it happened, in order to fix it for my next shot.

At the end of each round I could tell you in great detail about each and every bad shot I hit for the round, and how and why it happened, but I couldn't do that with the good shots because they are pretty much done and dusted as soon as the ball goes where it should ..... :)

WINS

#9431 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

Gaz I don’t think I’ve ever played with anyone that relishes the challenge of a dead set bastard of a lie like you do, you’ve hit some beauties , that was one of the best

Yeah, you may be right Dave, I do like a challenge.

As much as I might be a proponent of boring golf at times (fairways and greens) ....... something in me really just appreciates the chance to be creative, or to have to think outside the box and conjure up a shot.

That's why golf is a constant challenge and such bloody good fun I reckon. It is full of unexpected situations and opportunities to either fail or succeed, and I like that. :)

• WasabiPea_Shooter likes this

WINS

#9432 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18219 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

I know exactly how you feel Gaz. Forget the fairways and greens.

Friday I shanked my easy 2nd into 5. I'm behind the bunker with the pin in the narrowest part of the green.

Playing a flop shot after a shank takes guts. Put it to 1'.

Most enjoyable shot this year.
  • WasabiPea_Shooter and Chip in King. 😜 like this
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#9433 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

I recall those years ago reading your golfing journey to the Long Drive arena and the descriptions of what you did in that discipline, analytics, training, planning to achieve the swing to hit a ball to the best standard possible. It was that tale of yours which was the first realistic 'face to face' example of what it takes to 'play your best golf' which I heard.  

#9434 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Okay, update time from the Stableford round at Keysie .. and it started off as a complete farcical situation.

After a morning of a few jobs round the manor I cruised down to Keysie, only to find when I opened the rear of my vehicle, that lo and behold, my clubs and buggy were nowhere in sight.

As the blood drained down to my feet I realised I had two choices ....... do the mad dash all the way home again in order to retrieve them from the garage ....... or call into work in Dandebong, and borrow a set of clubs, buggy, balls, glove etc.

Home won out ..... and with the clock ticking I set off ....... With just 10 minutes before my allotted tee time, I pulled once again, into Keysie's car park. (Hopefully there will be no correspondence from Frank's mates on my um, rapid driving).

A few quick putts and chips and I made my way to the first tee. What was to have been a relaxed chat and few lazy practice balls on the range pre round to warm up,  had me now stressed and worse, my hip was playing up like a bastard.

I managed a half decent drive off the tee, and we were away. A nice 3W to just short of the green, a chip to pin high right, and a missed birdie putt that stayed straight, and it was in for par.

By about the 4th hole I knew it was going to be a tough day as the hip pain was getting worse not better, and I was trying to stretch and loosen it at every opportunity, all to no avail.

At the halfway mark I was either 1 or 2 over (20 points), and had hit mainly fairways and greens.

The back half started off quite interestingly,  on the 300m or so par 4 10th hole. I hit 4 iron off the tee and it ran like Usain Bolt through the rough, to sit (still in the rough) about 67m out from the flag.

I then went for a 3/4 lob wedge, and bladed it ........ 53m past the flagstick. After getting the rangefinder out for my birdie attempt .... I then lobbed it back over onto the green about 15 feet from the hole, and then drained the par saving putt .... stupid game!!

The back half went along smoothly until I found my first greenside bunker of the day, the result was a wipe, after blading one way over the green off a bare downslope lie. The second wipe of the day was also from a greenside bunker ..... and pretty much the same thing happened, it flew the green, and I didn't get the up and down for a point.

I saved my 3rd and last wipe of the day for the 18th, when I just couldn't swing through one more time (the hip was just killing me by then). I blew the drive high, wide, and left ..... and deep into the crap, and carved it around in the deep stuff for a while before having one long putt for a point, that missed.

So it was 15 points on the back half, for 35 in total (9 over).

I thought that was pretty good given my lack of preparation, the constant friggin pain, and 3 wipes on the back half ...... eg the dodgy bunker lies that cost me. (I was always going to blow the 18th tee shot as my body had had enough a hole or two before then).

It was a fun day though, despite a few trials and tribulations both before, and during the round.

So that's golf until next week ...... and just a quick medical update, the bloody hip was much better today, wouldn't you know it ....... :angry:

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 13 March 2018 - 05:05 PM.

• Joe79 likes this

WINS

#9435 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

Quick update ....... no comp golf to speak of, but some club tinkering and then a relaxed practice 9 holes the other day.

I swapped out the SMT 10 degree driver head for a Bangomatic 12 degree head, on my House of Forged "Sadlowski" stiff shaft. This was part of the experiment into trying more loft on the driver head and thereby negating the need for me to hit upwards off a raised tee.

Onto the practice and my first drive flew a decent distance but tailed off leftward (more work to do on the clubface alignment at address). My next drive flew nicely and reasonably straight. There was no added distance to speak of, but the attack angle was much more level in my approach to the ball.

It felt like I was much more "over the ball" at impact, rather than behind it .... so I could give it the full beans with confidence that I wasn't falling away from it.

A few more decent drives followed, and I was getting used to the look of the new driver head when lining it up, so the results were playable, and much more on target.

The bangomatic head is fairly squat, not overly long toe to heel, but slightly higher from top to bottom than I'm used to playing.

My bad strikes are generally caught low down on the face, and I still did a couple with the Bangomatic, but more than a few were out of the middle or slightly higher on the face, and took off at a nice launch angle.

I did catch a really nice one from the sweet spot and it flew high and long, but in general, it was no better or worse than my drives with my regular driver, the Titleist 913D2.

I figure I am maximising my distance with both for my swing speed, so its more about control and limiting errors.

That being said, the Titleist seems to me, to be easier to shape, given its broader face width (the wider face seems to be easier for me to align for a draw or fade).

As neither driver was really longer, I'll stick with the Titleist for now, also for familiarity reasons.

Having hit a few of the new driver models, none really stand out as giving me a potential improvement in terms of either distance or performance (my swing speed hasn't gotten faster) ....... so its a case of better the devil you know in terms of control .....

As for my 9 hole practice, it was good to get out and swing to a real target instead of a simulator. My putting was handy,  few pars to start, a birdie on 3 ..... more pars, and a bogey in there somewhere towards the end . so all square t the end of 9 holes. Did some chipping and putting practice for a while, and that was me done for the day.

Next hit out will be in a week or so, as we plan on taking the van for a quick run to the beach in the meantime ...... :D

• Joe79 likes this

WINS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users