#9226 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11110 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

They sell because they are easier to play than a long iron. WTF is wrong with you? You're a good player and can make anything work well.

Dumbest thimg you have said in a real long time
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#9227 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4314 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Not that silly rob, no doubt they’re easier to hit than the long iron , they would never have become the biggest thing since the oversized driver if they weren’t. Naturally there will be some deference to the rule , generally from players that already hit a bloody good long iron

#9228 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14123 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

I enjoyed your bestseller ‘All in a lather- how to shave your head like a pro’

Alas no mention of how to even out the tan line.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#9229 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

Update time from this mornings Stableford comp round.

Front half, one bogey, one birdie, the rest pars ...... so even with the card. (20 points)

The good, my putter ........ which was working a treat thankfully, given I missed about 6 greens in reg up to that point.

The back half was pretty bad after a par start on 19, only to be followed by 2 bogeys in succession.

I got one back on the par 5 14th with a solid birdie, but from there it went downhill with me finishing with 3 bogeys on 16, 17 and 18.

The final score was a 4 over 75, or 37 points, but it really was a pretty poor round (aside from the putter which saved my bacon ... mmmm bacon ..... throughout the round).

My approach shots were abysmal yet again today, I missed 5 or 6 greens completely from about 100 out, along with several missed greens from between 100m and 140m ..... and that is clearly just not good enough.

I was thinking about it when I was driving home this morning, and I am pretty much aiming straight at the flagstick from those distances these days .... so I'm attempting to hit the ball straight, and that of course, is the hardest shot in golf.

I really should be trying to play shapes instead (my opinion) ....... but not giving the greens away, but fading or drawing them in, depending on the slope I'm hitting off and where the hole is located.

That should in theory, give me a bit more room for error, instead of having half a green leeway either side of the pin, I should have 3/4's of a green to work the ball into, which if I hit them properly (a big "if") ...... should see me with more GIR's and a chance for a few more birdie putts.

It's something to try though, so I'll have a crack at it in my next round, which could be as early as tomorrow morning.

T'was a fun day out on the course though, in nice tolerable weather conditions, so all is well ....... :D

• Itchy4Scratch likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9230 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

After a lazy 9 holes with the grandson on Monday, the theory of "hitting shapes" into the greens was paying off somewhat with a slightly better GIR effort from memory.

It was however, secondary to having a boys day out with 8yr old Mitchy, who is shooting up so fast he's going to overtake the whole family soon.

He still can't hit the clubs anything higher than foot off the deck, but he can chase a roo or a kookaburra around the hills like Usain Bolt.

T'was one of my most enjoyable "half" rounds for a long time.

Anyway, its Thursday comp tomorrow morning, and it's back to work trying to hit a few decent shots, and actually execute them as I envisage which is always the challenge, as day to day, the swing tends to appear for a few holes, and then disappear just as quickly.

I've got my plan to hit shapes into the greens, so I'll see how it goes ...... :D

• Weetbix likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#9231 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

Well stroke round today, and it was a tad disappointing in terms of the golf. Otherwise, it was fun out there in near perfect conditions.

I started off with a bogey, then a steady par on the 2nd, then played possibly the worst hole for a good year or two on the par 5 3rd.

I hit my tee shot wide and leftward to the trees, bunt out, then hooked a 5 iron down to the side of the green (short-siding myself nicely in the process). Duffed a couple of chips, missed a couple of putts and signed the card for an 8 FFS.

Parred the next, then dropped another shot, then went par, birdie par, par, to have 41 shots by the halfway mark ........ not good, but worse was to come.

I was 6 ft off the 10th green in 2 (Par 5), and took 3 shots to sink the bastard, then parred the next 3 holes.

On 14 I hit a high drive leftward down the hill and into the trees and rough ..... and that was the last I saw of it. Yes, I could have either hit a provisional off the tee, or walked back up the hill to re-hit, but I figured the round was not going anywhere . so that was me DQ'd for the day.

I finished off the round but was basically just enjoying the walk back to the clubhouse.

The good news though, was that my approach shots were a lot better today. I was shaping them again and they were flying nicely for the most part. A couple of intended draws stayed straight, but still kept me on the green, so I'll keep going with it I reckon ....... I just couldn't but a putt today, but that's okay.

So I at least got a bit of learning out of the round, which is often more than can be expected, particularly if things go right ......... so good fun, and good times ... :D

WINS

#9232 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41858 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

No 8 for 1 I take it Gaz?
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9233 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

No 8 for 1 I take it Gaz?

Um no, Weeti ....... :D

• Weetbix likes this

WINS

#9234 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41858 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

:o
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9235 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Update time from today's pairs event down at Cape La Schanck.

Teaming up with good mate Chip In King in order to defend our 2 man title (both of us off single figures), we were pretty well screwed by the "company we keep" ..... which is what we thought would happen before the round even began.

When our 2 playing companions (in the same grouping) got a total of 48 extra shots between them on the golf course, (and it's set up as a short resort course), we were never in with a realistic chance of coming close to winning.

Chip In King and I did manage to go around the front half in even par, after playing solid golf (nothing spectacular) and with no putts of any note sunk, but it wasn't going to be good enough on the day, even if we continued to play well.

I'm not sure where we finished in the run down, but it certainly wasn't in the placing's.

Our playing companions ...Pom (31) and Wasabipea (17) used their 48 extra shots wisely, and managed to win the event with 46 points, of which fellow Beacy member Wasabi contributed the magnificent tally of 13 to their total  ........ (or so I'm reliably informed).

It was a fun day out though ........ but also very frustrating.

It had been a couple of years since I last played La Schanck, and I could only really remember one hole (it's the shortest downhill par 3 ..... eg the one that Goldy hit driver on today  :D   ).

Having the course fresh in my mind now though, I can say that .....  I don't really like, or rate the course much at all.

I've never been a fan of resort type courses, (think Moonah Legends vs Moonah Open) ... particularly where they have been designed specifically to penalise distance off the tee, and La Schanck is fairly and squarely in that mould.

Even playing off the blue markers (not the whites) was no help in terms of having somewhere decent to land a driver safely.

Every time I wanted to belt a driver off the tee, I was faced with either yet another par 3 ...(how  many of the bastards are there on that course?..... or I was faced with a 300m par 4 that narrowed down to cross bunkers at the 250m mark or the hole bent around a blind corner at 200m.

For a place that has an absolute crap load of land at it's disposal ...... they certainly wasted it with some stupid hole designs. They could have used the average 100m cart ride between each hole to extend the course but no ..... instead they want it to suit the once a year hacker who bunts it 150 off the tee.

Anyway ...... as I said, I'm not a fan of the course, but it was still good fun today, despite it feeling a bit claustrophobic out there today.

Tis always good playing alongside Bradley and we had a lot of laughs as always ..... so good times. :)

WINS

#9236 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14123 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

Who won the Par 3 side comp?

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#9237 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9127 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

GPJ

interesting comments about the course.

lets see how the Pro's go there in October when they play the Vic PGA championship.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#9238 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

Pros will be hitting irons of most of the par4 tees unless they are trying to drive the greens. Pretty sure the longest par 4 we played today was about 350.

#9239 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4314 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Update time from today's pairs event down at Cape La Schanck.

Teaming up with good mate Chip In King in order to defend our 2 man title (both of us off single figures), we were pretty well screwed by the "company we keep" ..... which is what we thought would happen before the round even began.

When our 2 playing companions (in the same grouping) got a total of 48 extra shots between them on the golf course, (and it's set up as a short resort course), we were never in with a realistic chance of coming close to winning.

Chip In King and I did manage to go around the front half in even par, after playing solid golf (nothing spectacular) and with no putts of any note sunk, but it wasn't going to be good enough on the day, even if we continued to play well.

I'm not sure where we finished in the run down, but it certainly wasn't in the placing's.

Our playing companions ...Pom (31) and Wasabipea (17) used their 48 extra shots wisely, and managed to win the event with 46 points, of which fellow Beacy member Wasabi contributed the magnificent tally of 13 to their total  ........ (or so I'm reliably informed).

It was a fun day out though ........ but also very frustrating.

It had been a couple of years since I last played La Schanck, and I could only really remember one hole (it's the shortest downhill par 3 ..... eg the one that Goldy hit driver on today  :D   ).

Having the course fresh in my mind now though, I can say that .....  I don't really like, or rate the course much at all.

I've never been a fan of resort type courses, (think Moonah Legends vs Moonah Open) ... particularly where they have been designed specifically to penalise distance off the tee, and La Schanck is fairly and squarely in that mould.

Even playing off the blue markers (not the whites) was no help in terms of having somewhere decent to land a driver safely.

Every time I wanted to belt a driver off the tee, I was faced with either yet another par 3 ...(how  many of the bastards are there on that course?..... or I was faced with a 300m par 4 that narrowed down to cross bunkers at the 250m mark or the hole bent around a blind corner at 200m.

For a place that has an absolute crap load of land at it's disposal ...... they certainly wasted it with some stupid hole designs. They could have used the average 100m cart ride between each hole to extend the course but no ..... instead they want it to suit the once a year hacker who bunts it 150 off the tee.

Anyway ...... as I said, I'm not a fan of the course, but it was still good fun today, despite it feeling a bit claustrophobic out there today.

Tis always good playing alongside Bradley and we had a lot of laughs as always ..... so good times. :)

was a few more than 13 my friend , i had a birdie 2/4 for a start, they were all marked on your card that was misplaced 

you guys with 39p and were actually at the tail end of the field , not sure were 42 came from

i never invented handicapping , i just chalk up them points 

anyways that's golf !

• iRON MiCK likes this

#9240 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9127 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

was a few more than 13 my friend , i had a birdie 2/4 for a start, they were all marked on your card that was misplaced 

you guys with 39p and were actually at the tail end of the field , not sure were 42 came from

i never invented handicapping , i just chalk up them points 

anyways that's golf !

sounds like a protest has been lodged for the NAGA result.

The Bacon tour committee will revert.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users