#9046 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33923 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

No comp on Friday Frank (Thursday comp which you could still get in I reckon).

If you only have Friday free, we could just do a social round (just like old times) .... however I may have a job interview coming up soon, which may, or may not impact, it depends if and when they call. :(

Sounds good....social round sounds great.   Let me know if you can get free.

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#9047 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Will do buddy. (Thurs comp now cancelled due to an interview)

• Francie likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2017.

#9048 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

Update time, and it was a relaxed practice round this morning with "Mr Gayfader" himself, once again gracing the hills of Beacy.

Somehow I managed to pretty much stuff up at least one shot a hole today (and on the odd occasion a couple of them per hole) ....... but it was "experiment day" for me, so I cared not a jot.

The driver was a little off, so I was experimenting with tee heights, ball position and shot shapes, and going for some different targets and lines than normal.

With the irons, I was trying a few things and playing some different clubs and shots than I normally would.

I hit a couple of unusual clubs for the yardages, eg taking an extra 2 clubs on an approach shot, choking down, using an abbreviated swing and trying to flight them in nice and low.

Putting .... and I left pretty much everything just a touch short today, and when I didn't, they just slid by the hole.

T'was good fun though, and I learned a couple of things I might try to put into my game.

As always, it was nice to be playing alongside Frank, who hit some nice ones at times.

As he's stated of late .....his game isn't where it was, but that's golf I reckon.

Sometimes you just need to tweak one thing in your game and the form comes back. Hopefully it will be the putting confidence that gets back on track for him, as that flows right back to the tee I reckon, in terms of taking the pressure off.

If you feel you can sink them from anywhere, it takes the pressure off the chip and approach shots, and even the tee shots at times. :D

• Francie likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#9049 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:03 PM

Update time form this mornings Stableford round, and it was a very shabby front half which saw me shoot 6 over (14 points.) I hit some pretty bad shots on a few holes and they really cost me more than they should have, as my recovery shots weren't good either.

After a coffee it was back out and time to right the ship. I proceeded to go and wipe the 10th, so the shiprighting had to wait yet another hole.

A solid par on 11, birdie on 12, par on 13, birdie on 14, bogey on 15, pars on 16, and 17, and a birdie on 18. So, 20 points on the back half (plus a wipe), for a 6 over 77 ....... or 34 points.

My game wasn't too bad today, just a few bad ones that I didn't recover well enough from, so the work continues to keep myself on the short stuff and out of trouble. T'was good fun today though, back with the regular crew of playing partners, and it was certainly a nice walk in the sun as well ....... :)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 14 October 2017 - 09:04 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

EVENT WINS

#9050 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Update time from Sunday Stableford and wow ...... was my golf bad.

The swing just wasn't there early on, and then on the 4th hole after finding the trees, I collected a tree root with the sole of my 3 iron which saw the fingers of my bottom hand go completely numb for about an hour or so.

The result was a stunning front nine that included 5 wipes (3 of them in a row, on holes 4, 5, 6.).

To say that it turned into a practice round was a bit of an understatement. The average to bad golf continued on the back half with my only real focus being on the par 3's, as I needed to reel in Chip In King's lead in our ongoing competition. Thankfully I managed to do that with a couple of decent shots and am now only 5 down against him.

The back half was 4 bogeys, 1 wipe, some pars and one lone birdie for the day.

I finished with 26 points, which, lets see now, equates to 14 over, or 85 off the stick ...... which was pretty shiteful.

Not to worry though I have a cunning plan to address it, and turn back the tide.

As I've been playing the MP32 irons for a whole 2 weeks in a row now, it probably means they are well and truly over worked, and due for a spell, so they are heading back to the golf cupboards and I'll find another set to put into the bag for the next comp round.

I generally don't play the same iron set for any more than 3 or maybe 4 rounds in a row, and I figure they're probably telling me something by their recent drop off on performance, so I'll take heed and put them out to pasture for a little while, in order to freshen them up for the upcoming spring carnival. 

I find that tends to work pretty well for both the clubs and me, in that it keeps things nice and fresh, and interesting (I get bored easily) ....... :D

• Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

EVENT WINS

#9051 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40401 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

And yet you've never got bored with your profile pic?
  • Francie and Short Putt Man like this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9052 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

And yet you've never got bored with your profile pic?

If you are talking about the stunning Miss Raquel Welch ..... who in their right mind could ever get bored of her Weeti? ... :D

EVENT WINS

#9053 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40401 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

If you are talking about the stunning Miss Raquel Welch ..... who in their right mind could ever get bored of her Weeti? ... :D

I am

And I agree

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9054 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Something different today in that a few of the Beacy Boys climbed aboard a tour bus and made our way down to Waterford Valley for a game.

It appears that we were boycotting an event (Phoenix Day) up at Beacy, in protest at last years farce which saw us go hungry ......  despite a promised and paid for lunch post round.

So it was Stableford with Chip in King, Wasabipea, and Ash, a high handicap bandit. (Who knew you could actually be an adult and still have a handicap in the thirties?)

As Waterford was rated a touch harder than Beacy in terms of its slope ...... Ash gained another 4 shots, Wasabi a couple, Bradley benefitted to the tune of 1 shot, and I got absolutely nothing !!

After 9 holes, I apparently had 16 points so I'd used up my four extra shots for the round, whilst still on the front half, whilst the others had rolled in 18 points and over.

Ash was already in the 20's I believe and bogeying and double bogeying his way to 3 and 4 pointers, much to Bradley's (and my) annoyance.

We were also betting on the game apparently, so were to put in $20  and work it out at the end who got what.

Up until the half time break, I'd been hitting them pretty ordinary off the tee (including putting one in the water off the tee on a par 5 ... got it in the hole for bogey). The drives were going left or right, and I had no real clue as to where they were going to go, and I'd left more than one or two putts short on the slow greens.

On the back half though I started to play for shapes off the tee, (rather then just try to hit them all straight) and that got me back on track, as there was much more room to shape the ball rather than hit em along tram tracks.

A couple of putts dropped, despite the odd bogey again ..... and I played the back half in even par .... 20 points.

So it was a 4 over par 76 total for me (36 points).

3 birdies, 8 pars, 7 bogeys.

Part of the $20 we'd put in was apparently for ntp's (of which it turns out ...... I mustn't have had any) so it worked out I believe ....... that Chip In King got his $20 back for an ntp or two, Wasabipea got his $20 back as well for possibly the same reason ........... and I was the only one out of pocket and had to hand my $20 over to Ash, the guy who shot the most points on the day ... 41, or should I say ......... Ash, who chopped his way around to a total of 27 over par.

Seriously ..... that is why handicaps should not be allowed.

Paying out to a guy who I'm giving away more than a shot a hole extra, not to mention the additional 4 shots he got just for turning up at Waterford ............ that is just farked.

That is without doubt .... the last golfing bet I get talked into joining where handicaps are involved .....

Stroke comp up at Beacy in the morning, but of course it's not really "stroke" is it .........its just an extended Stableford round where nett gives the shite golfers the edge yet again ...... (not that I'm bitter or anything) ...... ;)

• Weetbix likes this

EVENT WINS

#9055 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

That all sounds quite fair, Gaz.
What's your beef?

#9056 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10663 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Seriously Gaz

Maybe one day you should just have fun.
You played well, another guy played well and beat you.

Thats golf. If you dont like it, don't go in the comp.
Yep, you are of a low handicap...

Have you ever congratulated the guy the scored more than you?

It must be awesome to pick up a club and be in "A" grade straight away
  • Cats are Farked likes this

#9057 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

Seriously Gaz

Maybe one day you should just have fun.
You played well, another guy played well and beat you.

Thats golf. If you dont like it, don't go in the comp.
Yep, you are of a low handicap...

Have you ever congratulated the guy the scored more than you?

It must be awesome to pick up a club and be in "A" grade straight away

Rob, in this game we all play, the aim I believe, is to get the ball in the hole as quick as possible, yet the powers that be, have determined that is not the case, given the stupid system of handicaps they cling to.

In what other game do handicaps occur?

Does Federer have to play a lower ranked seed with one hand tied behind his back ......... Are good football teams forced to take to the field with less players than their poorer opposition to even things up?

Everyone has two arms and two legs as far as I'm concerned (Jack Newton excepted), so it should be a level playing field where skill and hard work are rewarded accordingly.

In amateur club golf, there is simply no reward for effort, and no reward for putting in the work to get better, in fact you are penalised because of it.

If a guy can be happy with shooting 27 over par on a golf course, then I believe golf is probably not the game he should be playing ..... (unless he's just starting out).

I have nothing against a particular individual (whoever it is) that happens to win on the day, and I will always congratulate them ..... but its really a hollow victory that means nothing if you don't shoot the lowest score of the day.

In Beacy's Phoenix Day event (the one that we boycotted) ... there was one guy in the top 10 off single figures (he finished in 10th place) the next lowest handicap who finished inside the top 10, was 15.

The single figure guy shot 3 over par ..... but the guy who allegedly "won" shot 13 over par.

The guy who came in 18th position, shot 1 over.

And a guy who shot 1 over came in 47th position.

And yet you and others have been conditioned it seems ..... to think that's fair?

It beggars belief that in this game where there are several billions worth spent on golf instruction and lessons, that golfing bodies then turn around and do the very best they can to deter golfers from ever trying to improve?

Everyone puts in the same money when they opt to play in comp, yet its an unfair system that favours the weaker players.

And the weaker the player, the more it favours them, so where's the incentive?

EVENT WINS

#9058 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

And just to highlight the farce that is club golf ........the results from Sunday's Stroke round up at Beacy.

I shot 78 off the stick, 38 & 39. (which was the 2nd best score off the stick, on the day)

The low score of the day was 77, and was shot by both of my playing partners (which included ChipInKing).

Due to handicapping, (re nett results being used) .... ChipInKing somehow managed to place 3rd in the comp (despite having shot the equal lowest score on the day)  ...... and I finished in 19th position.

And the guy who finished up in 14th position in the results .... well he managed to "raise the bat" before he finished his round ..... :huh:

EVENT WINS

#9059 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10663 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

So don't play comp.

Just give them 2 bucks to golflink your round.

Then you can't complain about not winning anything
  • Francie, Goldy, koiom K Frenzy and 1 other like this

#9060 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36484 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

But you understood it was going to be a handicap event when you entered, yes?

You need to just play scratch events, G. Because 99% of us on here will never beat you off the stick. So...you know...good luck with the empathy thing...
  • RobNewy and Cats are Farked like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users