BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11651 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

hey Gaz, 

let's play a game, grab a bottle with a screw cap lid that is about half full - contents can be water, milk, diet coke, liquid nitrogen, anything your heart so desires.

Now practice your left handed swing and look at the floor and what your feet are doing, taking note of which was your left foot twists when you swing. It twists clock-wise doesn't it?

Let's assume that the lid of the bottle is the screw in spikes and the bottle is your boot, holding the bottle in your left hand, tip the bottle upside down and hold the lid with your right hand. Your right hand is acting as the ground and it supporting the twisting force of your shoe.

If you twist the upside down bottle clockwise with your left hand while holding the spike in your right hand, what happens to the lid?

Now try the same exercise holding the bottle in your right hand, the lid in your left and twist the bottle in the anti-clockwise direction, do that about three or four times, what happens now?

Once you have gotten a towel to wipe up the water from the floor, let us know if Obe's knowledge is working

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#8733 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35819 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

My brain hurts.
  • OldBogey and Chunky McChunkerson like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#8734 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11651 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

hey Gaz, 

let's play a game, grab a bottle with a screw cap lid that is about half full - contents can be water, milk, diet coke, liquid nitrogen, anything your heart so desires.

Now practice your left handed swing and look at the floor and what your feet are doing, taking note of which was your left foot twists when you swing. It twists clock-wise doesn't it?

Let's assume that the lid of the bottle is the screw in spikes and the bottle is your boot, holding the bottle in your left hand, tip the bottle upside down and hold the lid with your right hand. Your right hand is acting as the ground and it supporting the twisting force of your shoe.

If you twist the upside down bottle clockwise with your left hand while holding the spike in your right hand, what happens to the lid?

Now try the same exercise holding the bottle in your right hand, the lid in your left and twist the bottle in the anti-clockwise direction, do that about three or four times, what happens now?

Once you have gotten a towel to wipe up the water from the floor, let us know if Obe's knowledge is working

your instructions weren't clear

now, how would you suggest I get my doodle from out of this here ceiling fan?

• GhettoGolfer and Weetbix like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#8735 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39362 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

your instructions weren't clear
now, how would you suggest I get my doodle from out of this here ceiling fan?

Lol Déjà Vu

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#8736 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18910 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

hey Gaz, 

It might be easier for me just to ask Wasabipea how he lost his friggin spike. :)

• OldBogey likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#8737 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22373 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

I think Bumpy's bottle might have contained nitrous oxide.

#8738 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10160 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

Makes sense, it would require laughing gas to extract a chuckle after an OB post

• Goldy likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2012 Curlewis OOM#5 A Grade NTP
2013 Beaconhills Invitational Classic 3rd Place
2013 Stink 3 Club Challenge NAGA
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade NTP
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner

#8739 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33023 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

Time for a quick mid week update, and some random thoughts, despite no actual golfing being performed.

I gave a couple of the longest clubs a tweak out in the garage last night as "winter is here Jon Snow", and I needed to adjust them to a course which now has little to no run on it.

My Titleist 913 driver I found ........ had been set at its lowest loft setting of 7.75 degrees (Tis stamped 8.5).

I don't know how I managed to set it like that as I generally have it set on the positive side of 8.5. (Perhaps it has been nobbled??)

What is interesting though, after doing a touch of research, is that when changing loft settings you shouldn't sole the club before taking your grip.... you should just take your grip, get the clubface square to your eye, and then just swing.

The reason why allegedly ..... is that if you sole the club and then adjust the face back to square whilst still on the deck, you have just negated any loft change you made .... weird, but allegedly true.

What I also found is that on the old Surefit Hosel chart I got with the club .......... there is a column missing, and that relates to face angle.

The charts with an extra column are designed specifically for "clubfitters" and pro's. They obviously reckon we golfers are too stupid and would become overloaded with face angle information, so they produced a simpler version and sent that one out with the clubs.

Basically, the higher the loft you set the club at, the more closed the face angle will become, and conversely the lower the loft, the more open the face angle will be.

Interesting to note I reckon, particularly if you simply want to hit em higher so you give the driver a quick loft tweak without thinking, and then you suddenly find yourself drawing the ball for the first time ever.

So with the driver setting done, and I went on to adjust my TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3W.

This one was much the same, in that I just went from the lowest loft setting to the highest one. What this has done though is to have gone from a face angle that was 3 degrees open to a face angle that is now 3 degrees closed. TM at least have the face angle on their charts so I know what to expect.

So, plenty of changes are probably in store for my golf ball next round, despite just the minor tweakage of two clubs.

Thankfully my irons take a bit more planning before I can get them tweaked (by Jon), otherwise if I had my own bending machine (I do keep my eyes open for one) ........ I'd probably be tweaking them after each round.

As it is, one set of my mizunos has been std, then bent 1 deg flat, then 4 deg flat and now bent back to std. Hmm, I now know how Jon built the extra storey on his house.

Oh, and before I forget ... also whilst out in the workshop area last night, I found half a dozen Puma spikes for Wasabipea ......... so at the rate he goes through them, that should probably be enough to see out his golf career I reckon ........ (I presume that no-one has yet responded to the notice he put up in the pro shop, regarding his 1 missing spike) ..... :)

Glad that was a "quick update".....I don't have time for a long one.
  • GhettoGolfer likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#8740 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22373 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

Glad that was a "quick update".....I don't have time for a long one.

A busy night at work?

#8741 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 33023 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

A busy night at work?

No....on holidays

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

#8742 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18910 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

No....on holidays

So, you're on holidays and you are reading my thread .... geez, even I don't do that. :)

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#8743 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 33023 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I don't read it.....it's too bloody "short".    B) 

#8744 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18910 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

Update time from the weekends golfing, and on Saturday it was the first round of the knockout Winter Cup, a matchplay pairs event.

Teamed with Chip In King, we'd gotten through qualifying the previous week, so this weeks round 1 event saw my handicap reduced to scratch, Chip In Kings to a couple, and the other team had theirs reduced by 6 so one guy was off half a dozen or so, and the other guy was playing off a lowly figure of 21.

So, we were giving away shots on every hole, and it was going to be tough if they played well. We started off nice and solidly and got to the turn at 1 or 2 up, mainly due to their putting which wasn't the best. The greens were somewhat slow for a Saturday and they struggled to get them to the hole.

We did too but, we got them much closer so it never cost us an extra shgot. A couple of holes later and we were back to square and it stayed like that for a couple of holes. On 15 Chip In King put his tee shot to about 3 feet and drained the birdie putt to put us ahead once again, and we finished 2 up on the last which was nice.

So, through to the next round next weekend, and we won't have to give anywhere near as many shots, with our opponents both off somewhere around 10 or so I believe.

Sunday golf, and after spending Saturday afternoon moving furniture and digging a couple of large palms out of the garden, my lower half was as stiff as a board. It was going to be a real struggle but it's golf so its all good.

I started off okay with a nice par on 1, and a 20 foot birdie on the 2nd. By about the 6th or 7th hole I could feel the pain in my lower half starting to creep up into my lower back and it was becoming a real struggle to pick the ball out of the hole, among other things.

I got through the front half with 17 points, but that was basically due to the first few holes that flattered the score, as I'd finished the front with 2 x one pointers and a wipe from memory.

With just using an "arm swing" for the back half, the waywardness soon crept in with the longer shots, actually it kicked the door down and said in a loud voice "here I am", and the one pointers just started to build, as I put myself in some interesting spots off the tee.

I found myself hitting through gaps in the trees, and hitting one 3 iron right handed due to a tree right in front of me. By the 18th I was left trying to hit a 100m shot, with a 50m hook around a tree ..... so it certainly wasn't pretty.

I think I'd scored 13 points on the back half and it had been a real struggle.

So, 30 points for the day or a dozen over the card, which had included 1 or 2 wipes on the back half. I got through it though which was my main aim, but geez I was stiff and sore afterwards.

Hopefully we've seen the last of the furniture moving, and with just a few more things to plants to move from the garden his week I should hopefully be back to normal by the time our next matchplay happens, so all is good ........ :)

EVENT WINS

#8745 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18910 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Update from the weekend's golfing and it was round 2 of the knockout winter cup on Saturday. Again I was off scratch, with Chip In King off 2 or 3 and both the opponents reduced to about 5 or so.

Chip In King and I started off pretty solidly with a couple of halves, and then we went one up. They managed to get it back to square after both Chip in King and I stuffed up the 7th. Tis always good to have both partners play crap on the one hole I reckon just to get them out of the way.

Onto 8 and I managed a nice 15 foot curling putt for birdie to put us ahead again, and then backed it up with another birdie on the 9th when both myself and Chip In King put our approach shots to within 6 feet. So two up at the turn and the opponents remarked "don't poke the bear", as we'd turned our bad play around in the space of about 30 seconds.

We managed to keep the lead at + 2 for a while and then they clawed another back at some point. We got to the 18th with a one up lead, but with them both getting a shot on the hole. Both Chip In King put the pressure on with our drives, and it got to them as they both didn't hit their best efforts. After a handy approach I was left with a cross green 2 putt for the win, so in the end it was through to the next round in a fortnights time, quite comfortably.

Sunday golf, and despite it looking like crap both Chip In King and I headed on up for a round. They changed the format to Stableford (It was to be some 4B affair but the threat of rain scared nearly everyone else off).

I'd tweaked the settings on longer clubs for the day, just for a change, so it was to be interesting yet again. I started off with a rusty bogey, then followed it up with 3 scrambling pars before I found trees and another bogey went onto the scorecard. My swing certainly wasn't on for the day, and the care factor was starting to wane a tad. Parred 6, then wiped the 7th for pretty much two days in a row when my tee shot blew wide and into some crap, from which it took me 3 shots to extricate myself. Bogeyed 8 and parred the 9th for about 15 points in total.

Coffee time.

Put my tee shot short and wide into the trees on the 10th using Chip In King's driver (first time I've hit a slice with it), but got it out okay and eventually into the cup for another bogey. Then a couple of pars before an unlucky bogey on 13, which had seen my tee shot on the par 3 sail up to the green but hit a depression surrounding a sprinkler and the ball shot low and sideways 10m off the green.

14 and 15 were pars, then blew another RH tee shot wide right and caught the trees and ended up wiping the hole after more bad shots. Bogeyed 17 when again my tee shot found trees, this time left handed and leftward, and I had to hook a 3 iron and got nowhere near the green. 18 was just a muck around hole with 3 iron off the tee, and then bunting a 3W from about 140 out, it ended up flying a tad too far and disappeared into the car park, only to ricochet back onto the garden bed behind the 14th tee.

The guys teeing off on 14 had no idea where it had come from, but at least they saw the funny side of it.

Anyway that eventually ended in me missing my 4 foot bogey putt for one point with my LW, so one more wipe went on the card.

In total it was a 28 point effort for the day (a 14 over par, 85), but the main thing was that we managed to finish just prior to a downpour, which was good, and had a lot of laughs going around. A grand total of 22 played in the field for the day, most of which would have teed off a bit later in the morning I reckon.

So that was the weekend's golf, a bit erratic here and there, but nice to have another win with good mate Chip In King, and great to have some laughs on Sunday. :)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 29 May 2017 - 08:04 AM.

• OldBogey, iRON MiCK, Goldy and 3 others like this

EVENT WINS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users