Photo

GPJ’s Journey to ... God Knows Where

• Please log in to reply
8985 replies to this topic

#31 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hey Hacky, Yes it was enjoyable being able to get around thru the tides without too much difficulty. I figure now that I've dropped 0.1 off the handicap (after Saturday's round) .... that should be the start of a gradual reduction in the old handicap. I generally play pretty good around Beacy, so if I can not lose my head, I should work my way back down to single figures eventually. I've just got to play within myself really to keep the ball in play. It's something of a big call I guess (getting back to single figures) but really, I think it is achievable with a bit of diligence and a bit of care, so I'm going to get there. I've got some nice blowout scores in the past to drop off the list, which should help, so it won't take that long I figure.

#32 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

34 beat my 30, I teed off at 845. Saw your bright yellowish pants heading for the carpark as I came off the 13th.Bit wet wasn’t it.

Walked around Paky with the junior pennant team on Sunday, now that was wet, saw Noah going past on a couple of holes.

LOFT. the real reason why my handicap is where it is!

Hey TD ........ "bit wet wasn't it" ..... nicely understated there A 30 in that rain was a damned good effort, as you would have been out there in the absolute worst of the rain ....... Glad to see that you managed to complete your round ..... oh .... and not get pnuemonia for your troubles.

#33 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35662 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

And an FYI for your voucher situation, G. Spoke to Benny who played your "favourite" course on Friday (do I need to name it?), and reported back that it was in, and I quote, "magnificent condition". He expressed this to the club pro out there, and the general consensus was that it was better than ever. So - apparently as good as any at the moment - if you want to make the trip and use the vouchers, sounds like it would be worth your while. We could get CB80 (also has some vouchers) and make a day of it. Which in his and your case is almost compulsory.

#34 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Actually Goldy .. I am no longer in possession of said voucher. After coming in 2nd at ER with Hacky in the teams event(don't mention the war), we received for our worthy 2nd place effort ...... a voucher for two at ER. Now Hacky, being the generous soul that he is, kindly gave me the ER voucher to use with "the beloved" ... and in return, I gave him my voucher for .... "you know where". Playing at "you know where" though ....... without a voucher, would impose no more hardship on me than actually playing there with a voucher ...... so, if you have a game being organised with your good self and the esteemed CB etc ....... (and I am free on that day) then by all means, put me down for it, as I would play there again ...... but only due to chance to be with you fine gentlemen.

#35 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • 35662 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

Excellent - check your e-mail.

#36 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

Splendid missive Golden one............ check yours ..... serve returned.

#37 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Actually Goldy .. I am no longer in possession of said voucher.

After coming in 2nd at ER with Hacky in the teams event(don’t mention the war), we received for our worthy 2nd place effort …... a voucher for two at ER.

Now Hacky, being the generous soul that he is, kindly gave me the ER voucher to use with “the beloved” ... and in return, I gave him my voucher for …. “you know where”.

Playing at “you know where” though ….... without a voucher, would impose no more hardship on me than actually playing there with a voucher …... so, if you have a game being organised with your good self and the esteemed CB etc ….... (and I am free on that day) then by all means, put me down for it, as I would play there again …... but only due to chance to be with you fine gentlemen.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

“The meek may inherit the earth ……..
but they’ll never reach the par 5 green in two”
Longdrive Champion Vic ISG Round 3 OOM Growling Frog.

GPJ, mate it will be hard for me to get out to GF anyway, you are more than welcome to the GF voucher

#38 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • 35662 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

You could join us out there if you can find the joint again, Hack. oh....wow

#39 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, love to see you belt it around The Frog Hacky. It took me a month or two to get the voucher off my hands (not my favourite course) . so its all yours to either use or not use Hacky.

#40 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Okay update from last night when I ventured to the hills of Beacy once again for a late afternoon 9 holes. I started smoothly once again, with a nice "Francie fade", some 200+ down the 1st fairway just past the inside corner of the slight dogleg ........... which left me just on 100m into the green. Over time I have worked out (thru a lot of trial and error) .. that this is the best option for me off the 1st tee. By aiming right, and hitting a "Francie fade", it consistently leaves me in the centre left of the fairway, out of trouble, and with a good clear shot at the green. That was the first shot on the golf course that was "sorted and filed" for future reference. It's what I now use every time I start the round. The next shot on course, is into the green itself. The safe miss is either short or right, with the harder up and down being at the back and with a deep greenside bunker left. The play for me is to aim dead centre of the green or slightly right, to avoid the bunker. Also, making sure that I don't go over the back, so I should aim to land it either just on, or short, particularly if the ground is firm. Often the pin position is close to the left hand side, which brings the bunker into play, but the smart move for me is to ignore the pin position and just play for the safe area of the green. That is my 2nd shot on the course now "sorted and filed". This is the way I tend to play, and the more rounds I play at a particular course, the clearer my "best choices" become, until hopefully, it will reach a point where I don't have to think much about shot selection at all, unless things like the wind direction etc, are going to change things. On some holes, such as the par 5 3rd (uphill dogleg left, then downhill to the sloping front to back green) I am still nailing down the best options. I've used driver off the tee, but this can, if I get onto it, put me thru the doglegs corner and block me out from going for the green, and that has happened a fair bit if I don't get the curve around the corner happening. Of late though I've been trying the 3 wood off this tee, and it seems to put me in a good position consistently, with a clear shot down towards the green of about 220m. It's the 2nd and third shots on the hole though, that can cause me more trouble. I've gone for the green with another 3 wood, but as it's all downhill, I've gone over the back and into deep nasty stuff a lot of times. The next club in my bag a 3I .... usually leaves me with little more than say a 30m chip shot, but it's hard to know from that distance if my chip is going to stop on the green, as I've seen plenty roll down and over the back. I've also skulled it a few times right across the green when playing it from a downhill lie. Of late for my 2nd shot, I've been hitting 4 or 5 irons instead, aiming to a flat area well left of the green ..... and then chipping across the slope to the green, as the ball tends to hold up nicely from there. It goes against the grain (and my natural tendencies) to not go for the green in 2, but it is the best way for me to be consistently on the green for 3, and to be putting for a birdie chance. The other methods of playing the hole tended to see me scrambling from rough and some nasty positions ... so I've pretty much "locked in" the shots that I need to play on that hole. They were just a couple of examples as to how I am trying to think about my golf ..... and how I hope to conquer "the hills of Beacy". I've got most holes sorted out in my head now, (only a couple left to finalise) so for the most part, I can just relax and play my way around the course most times without too many changes to the game plan ...... which is nice. Also, the less thinking I have to do on course, the better my golf seems to be.

#41 Slavera

Slavera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

It's good to read your becoming a Player GPJ..................

#42 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Thanks Slavera, I figure the more I work on the course management, the easier the game should become. Of course I stand be proven wrong, but I figure having a plan, any plan, is much better than just going out and making it up as I go along.

#43 Slavera

Slavera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Thanks Slavera, I figure the more I work on the course management, the easier the game should become.

Of course I stand be proven wrong, but I figure having a plan, any plan, is much better than just going out and making it up as I go along.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

“The meek may inherit the earth ……..
but they’ll never reach the par 5 green in two”
Longdrive Champion Vic ISG Round 3 OOM Growling Frog.

It worked a treat for such as; Faldo + Langer, to name just two. Your now thinking like a player imo, and will reap the benefits long term.

#44 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18867 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

Well I have Zen to thank, for taking a more indepth look into my golf game, Slavera. It took him a few goes at pointing it out to me before it really sunk in ....... but now that it has (sunk in), hopefully I'll keep reaping the rewards. Just on course management ....... and with some of my 2nd shots into the shorter par 4's being something less than a full club, and from just being off the short stuff in 2 for some of the par 5's (as well as the odd par 3 missed green) ....... I've been spending a bit of time of late working on my chipping. This came in pretty handy on the weekend with the cored greens, as any putt of length was just a stab in the dark as to how it would roll .... so chipping it up and close was the order of the day for my "greenside misses". To that end, a little while ago I set up a chipping area in the garage at home, with a fake grass mat (a $10 offcut) to hit off ..... and a makeshift net set up a few feet away, hanging off the old club rack. Everytime I got outside for a "dart" these days, I'll wander into the garage and grab a club off the rack, and chip a couple of dozen balls, using everything from a 9 iron to a lob wedge, aiming for the dead centre of the net. As the mat's grass is about an inch and half long, it gives a pretty realistic feel to every shot. I can spin the mat around and hit a few "into the grain", then turn it back to hit with the grain to simulate "flyers", and the grass is also long enough to use the bounce of my wedges, rather than just the leading edge, and sit them right down into it as well. for ten bucks it has been a real bargain, and continues to benefit my game. I do all this under the watchful eye of my golf coach (Diesel, my labrador cross), who now knows to steer clear, and not steal my practice golf balls. (He used ot love chewing on them) It's pretty good for those non designated golf days (such as today) just to keep my hand in so to speak ...... so my chipping should continue to improve the more I use it (or the more I smoke).

#45 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32791 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Well, well, well!!! I've just stumbled across this, my big left handed buddy. Probably missed it as I haven't spent too much time of late in the "Ask a pro" section. Looks like I'll have to visit a bit more now. :-) Just spent 20 minutes catching up....... I've been around for your little journey and taken great interest in a "brother" lefty and now you are a member of a course that I've played many a time, I can relate to how your story unfolds. I'm sure in no time Beacy will become easy to you and you'll be into single figures. The journey is the fun part and with your wit and use of the english language, it will be a fun read. Having visited your garage and viewed first hand your set up and "the beloved" I can vouch that you are true to your word. Just enough of this Francie gay fade stuff. Good luck with your journey and I'll be here all week. PS. Do you see we have a 'leftie' thread just for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users