Photo

GPJ’s Journey to ... God Knows Where

• Please log in to reply
8699 replies to this topic

#16 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Okay on to Saturday's round now .......... and teed off up at Beacy with a couple of my new mates, in mist and drizzle, not far on the right side of 7 oclock. Opened with a lovely gay faded driver to the inside corner of the dogleg, then put a pitching wedge onto and then slightly over the green. Chipped back on and close, and then tapped in for par on very sandy bumpy greens. Off to a decent, but not outstanding start. Drizzle turned to rain for the 2nd hole, managed bogey after missing the green wide and 2 pointed it. Rain went back to drizzle for the 3rd, and then it stopped as I ended up with an easy 2 putt par on the uphill par 5, 4th hole. Next hole and again in light sunshine, bogeyed it for another 2 points. Then the rain came once more, and so did the wet weather gear, this time the rain was harder, and looked set to continue for a while. Got through the next few holes in pretty confortable fashion depsite missing one or two greens. The driving was on song and I was leaving myself in good positions. I made the turn with 20 points, and the wet weather gear back in the bag. Played the long par 5 10th in great fashion ..... a long drive down the hill, caught a 3 wood slightly fat though and left myself with a chip of about 30 metres up the steep hill and onto the green. Hit a nice soft lob wedge which got me within a metre .......... and then missed an easy birdie as the ball took a big bounce left on the green. Tap in for par. Given the cored, sandy, bumpy greens I wasn't too unhappy. Had a wipe at the uphill par 3 13th though, when I lost control of my 5 iron off the tee, dragging it way right, and pretty much dead. Back on track by the next hole after yet another change of glove (I'd been through about 4 by now). Playing the short downhill 128 metre par 3 15th, I Hilary Schwanked one way left ........ down through about 50 metres of gum tree and scrub and just about onto the next tee. I hit a lovely lob wedge back across onto the green and then dropped a bumpy, bouncing,10 footer for par ........... who said this game is hard? I was almost managing to play to my handicap on the back nine ...... although by now the wet wether gear was working overtime, and I was just trying to bunt them off the tee, as my fifth glove for the day was getting pretty wet. I got to the last, a par 4 slightly uphill dogleft left, just as a real torrent ocurred ......... and I dragged a 3 wood out of bounds right, as I was just trying to hang onto the club. I hit a lovely provisional (don't we all), followed by a nice wedge in, missed my last chance at a point as the ball stayed up ...... and that was me done for the day. I compiled 14 points on the back nine (with two wipes) to go with my 20 on the front nine ........... so 34 all up in my first comp at Beacy. A quick sprint through the deluge to the bar, and my first beer was going down before noon (probably should have had something to eat for brekky) as we watched the torrent now pouring down off the clubhouse roof. With rain like that we could have been in the tropics there was that much of it. So in summary, I was pretty happy with the round, despite not playing better than my handicap. With cored greens, and the all the torrential rain at times, I got around there pretty comfortably and felt that I'd left a couple out there, on both nines, but particularly the back nine where two shots cost me points.

#17 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

nice long 1st post there gaz
thought i was on postcards again

anyway fyi
i have a yes Victoria too
i got golfguy to add 10 gramms of lead to the arse
smashes it
awesomest putterer

4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Muzz, I've got to say, I'm loving the feel of Victoria, after my previous putter. She's got a lovely heavy weight to her already .... so I don't think I''' be adding more weight to her ....... it's a wonder you can swing it at that weight ..... maybe use her off the tee instead, as she'd feel so rock solid.

#18 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

GPJ,
Looking forward to hearing how you are progressing.

Hey Scotty, lovely of you to drop on in. FYI ....... I didn't really get to use the old aimcharts on Saturday, as the greens were in pretty rough condition ........... I probably would have been better using "tide charts" instead, given all the rain we had. It is good though playing there all the time, as you soon build up knowledge on the greens as to which way they'll bend, a bit like you at Kingswood. I'm not sure how many actually got out and played their rounds on Saturday, as it was pretty crowded in the bar when we got back, with more than a few pulling the pin without firing a shot ........... no committment!!

#19 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Welcome to the 'Yes!' fan club. And judging by your round it was a 4 season round! Good to see your persistence in such conditions. I play with a lot who wuss out. I prefer the challenge as the game play is so different to adapt to the weather. Well done.

#20 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

got get em tiger

A-GRADE Champion Vic ISG Round #3 OOM Growling Frog.
Longdrive Champion Vic ISG Round #4 OOM Keysborough GC.
Longdrive Champion Vic ISG Round #5 OOM Eagle Ridge GC.
I shot 69 (-3) in an OOM event and didnt win, go figure??
Golfer with the only sub par round in 2011 ISG OOM

Thanks for encouragement Hacky ....... much appreciated. I see our friend Bowdo had a bit of an up and down week up at Coolum ......... you'll have to get him back on track at Keysie, and remind him that one round does not a tournament make.

#21 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Welcome to the ‘Yes!’ fan club. And judging by your round it was a 4 season round! Good to see your persistence in such conditions. I play with a lot who wuss out. I prefer the challenge as the game play is so different to adapt to the weather. Well done.

TP534
The other AB (AB2)
’The Drop Bear Commeth’

Thanks AB ........ I think the Yes fan club is growing pretty rapidly on here. As for the round, it was pretty interesting adapting to the conditions, there are some bad points to it of course, but also some good ones, such as actually swinging within yourself, oh, and being able to check that your eyes are over the ball as you watch the drips from your cap land on the ball when you're about to putt.

#22 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Yep. Heavy rain presents a whole new approach. The irritation of wet gear on wet gear off can be off putting also and distract from performance. A game within the game

#23 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

I think one key AB I have in mind in those conditions, is to just make myself slow down. You see lots of guys who hate playing in the rain and when they're playing, you see them quickly duck out from under their umbrella, hit the ball even quicker, and then race back to their umbrella. I hopefully, try to take the approach that you keep it simple, I want to take the same amount of time in deciding what I'm going to do ....... and I don't try to work the ball unless I have to, I generally take an extra club and just swing that little bit easier to try and get good contact. I figure though, that it's much easier to play in the rain, than in the wind. At least the rain will generally just knock your ball down a bit (so club up slightly) .......... and it won't blow it sideways.

#24 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23668 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

nice long 1st post there gaz
thought i was on postcards again

anyway fyi
i have a yes Victoria too
i got golfguy to add 10 gramms of lead to the arse
smashes it
awesomest putterer

4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Muzz, I’ve got to say, I’m loving the feel of Victoria, after my previous putter.

She’s got a lovely heavy weight to her already …. so I don’t think I’’’ be adding more weight to her ….... it’s a wonder you can swing it at that weight ….. maybe use her off the tee instead, as she’d feel so rock solid.

2 deg loft, now there's a thought

#25 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

2 degrees would keep em nice and low and under the wind I'd imagine.

#26 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34927 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Reckon I'd hit more fairways.....providing I could get the distance. Same issue with the driver, really. Nicely done on Saturday G - 34 points in that weather would put you close to the front of the pack I'd have thought. And it sounds like Victoria is behaving herself nicely - which is also good to hear.

#27 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

Morning Goldy ....... Yeah both Victoria and the rest of the clubs were working okay on Saturday in somewhat less than ideal conditions. Can't wait to try Vicky out on smooth greens when he should show her real potential. One of my playing partners (off 3) managed 36 points ...... it was a bit like watching Hacky actually, although he didn't have quite as many 1 foot birdies as Hacky does. He was sinking them from a bit further away, but with monotonous regularity .... highlighting the benefits of "putting for dough". The plan for today, now that everything is once again dry, is weather permitting, have another lazy 9 after work, and see what the greens are like. Not sure if Wasabipea played on Sunday, but if he did, it would be interesting to see how the greens were .... (if they had any sand left on them)

#28 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

Oh, I also caught a little of the World Cup teams event on Sunday morning (from Hainan Island, China) where the Aussies were vying for the lead. The course at Mission Hills is built on a lava base, and during the telecast, the commentators spoke to the course designer, and what he said just amazed me. The course was part of a 10 course complex that they built ....... in 14 months. (It's now 12 courses I believe) 14 months though to build 10 complete golf courses??? Included in that, was also a 500 plus room hotel. They asked the guy how many people worked on the project, and he said that during the day they had 60,000 workers, and at night, under the floodlights ........ they had 20,000 working on it, and that work continued around the clock. For those not matematically inclined, that is one new complete, and ready to golf hole, every 2 1/2 days .... simply staggering stuff .......... and points to some very good Cinese golfers coming out of there very soon.

#29 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

34 in that rain is a good effort mate

#30 SteveG

SteveG

TaylarsDad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts
  • LocationStuck in the bunker at Keysborough

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

34 beat my 30, I teed off at 845. Saw your bright yellowish pants heading for the carpark as I came off the 13th.Bit wet wasn't it. Walked around Paky with the junior pennant team on Sunday, now that was wet, saw Noah going past on a couple of holes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users