Photo

GPJ’s Journey to ... God Knows Where

• Please log in to reply
9052 replies to this topic

#1 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18970 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

A lot of you guys know me pretty well by now, and have seen my golf game in action (not pretty at times, but sometimes it can have flashes of sheer and utter ...... goodness) so some of this may not be news to some. Anyway, back to the start, and I started playing golf socially way back in the dark ages, as a teenager, (playing right handed incidentally), but other sports and life, generally got in the way for at least the next decade or two. I did manage to spend the odd year in my 20’s and early 30’s perfecting the “recovery shot” up at Royal Olinda. There’s nothing like hitting the ball in one direction and then walking off in another, cause you know that’s where you’re ball will end up ..... either due to the slope of the ground, or to my perennial wild slice back then. A couple o years ago, I stumbled across some mildly amusing golf forum just at the point where I was playing a bit more frequently and looking to improve. I also had my one, and to date, only golf lesson ...... which consisted of the local golf pro (henceforth to be dubbed Eric the Idle) instructing me in how to hit the draw shot, thereby eliminating my 40 year slice. The sum of Eric’s coaching consisted of one sentence ..... “try to hit the ball over mid on, instead of over covers”. For a former opening batsman of some distinction, the dusty light bulb turned on instantly, and Eric quickly departed back to the clubhouse ..... to continue on with his idle ways. It was about this time that I decided, with much encouragement from my ISG brethren to also get an official handicap. (I’d call it nagging, but let’s not split hares, as that would be bloody and messy, and likely to draw the attention of the RSPCA) So, sadly for me, after finding some good form over a recent xmas period, I put in my three Howlong holiday scorecards and lo and behold, received a starting handicap of 11. A few weeks later and I started playing in a regular comp at Centenary Park in Frankston with a few ne’er-do-wells. One good back nine later (-3) that resulted in an overall 42 pointer, and sixty dollar winner’s voucher ... and my handicap suddenly shot from 11 down to 4.8 overnight ....... and took with it, any semblance of my golf game. For the next several months I was trying to play catch-up off every tee, and this only made things worse. I’d occasionally throw together nine holes which were also pretty good, but the other nine’s were fraught with blowouts including the odd lost spheroid, as I was forever hitting them flat out in order to catch up to my handicap. Also during this time I attended my first “Club Ho” meeting ....... sneaking in the back door with cap pulled down low, and sitting quietly in the back row, as I listened to Dave_1, L4G, and others tell of their addictions, and how they too, fought hard to stop themselves from clicking that seductive “Buy now” button. (I had by now started to gather drivers, as I worked my way from regular whippy shafts, through to more rigid poles, along with also trialling various driver lofts. I’d also upgraded my iron set a couple of times .........and bought the odd associated golfing gadget, as well as a golfing wardrobe that has become the envy of all.) My regular comp game at Centenary was interrupted around this time, by concurrent injuries to my playing partners (at least that’s what they told me) ... so I was rendered homeless for six months or so, and became something of a wandering nomad, finding solace instead, in regular games in the windblown golfing mecca’s of The Dunes, Moonah Links and St. Andrews Beach. Interspersed with all of this, was ISG and the 2011 season, with OOM events, Outer Rim games (we’ve got to find a better term for them), and other ad hoc games with my fellow ISG’ers ...... as well as social Sunday afternoon and mid week post work 9’s with the beloved .. henceforth to be known as “the beloved” ............ up at our local course, Beaconhills. Indeed I’d played a fair bit of golf up at Beacy over the years, (including back in the days when they had 2 complete 18’s, The Hills, and the Lakes) and so with Wasabipea’s encouragement, (and with it being very handy for both comp games, and for use as a training practice venue) ....... I bit the bullet and have recently joined up as a fully fledged 7 day member ...... or 8 day clock, (it was one of the other, I can’t remember which one exactly). Anyway, I am due to play my first comp round at Beacy bright and early this Saturday morning, and walking onto the course last night for a training run with the beloved, I found the greens had just been sanded and cored. How’s that for timing? With a shiny new, Yes Victoria II putter also in the bag to test out for the first time (I’m a ho, and I need help) ........ it was always going to be hard to get a feel for it on those greens, so the plan for Saturday’s first comp game at Beacy, is to try and leave myself with short putts and not long ones. And that I think guys and girls ......... brings us up to date. I shall endeavour to cast my pearls before you with great frequency, and indeed, I shall willingly, and eagerly, accept your comments, advice and banter .........let the games commence

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36041 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

We swine eagerly await your pearls, Gazman. One suggestion for tomorrow re the putting surface - hit 'em hard, and hit 'em straight. You know it makes sense. Your obedient disciple, Goldenrod

#3 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18970 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

Ah Goldy ........ lovely to see you stopping by. Feel free anytime buddy, as the light is always on for you ... (So long as it's during the daytime when I'm happily getting paid to post from work) On to Victoria now, and the thing I noticed about Victoria immediately on pulling it from the cardboard box ....... is how much heavier than my previous putter, an Odyssey White Hot blade variety, she is. With my main putting woes (there are others) being distance control, and having no feeling for it with the blade, I figured a heavier mallet putter with a decent alignment line, could only help my putting consistency. (Oh, that, and the fact that I'd never have to try and spell odyssey again). The plan for tomorrow though, is get them on the green but failing that, chip them thru the air right to the flag, and not try to run them onn the green, as they were pretty inconsistent and very bumpy last night, and I don't think that's going to change by tomorrow. I did however manage to confirm an epiphnay of sorts, last night. For ages now I've been spraying my irons shots when firing at the greens, and at the end of the previous practice round, I got them straightened out by closing the clubface more. This is probably more like just getting it back to square, but it looks slightly closed to my naked eye ...... (but then I do have an eye like a dead garfish on the greens, so perhaps that also extends back up the fairway) Anyway, I probably got 7 good irons shots at the greens last night, and making sure the face had that "square to closed" look about it, managed to get 6 of them firing directly at the pin. One long, one short, and four thereabouts ........ so it's definitely something I've got to remember and to really focus on. Golf is so much easier when you know where they are going to go off the clubface. Like I said Golden one .......... drop by anytime. Next update, probably Monday morning with all of the comp round summary. P.S. "Pearls" were tongue in cheek, buddy!!

#4 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

Tsk tsk tsk GP, very disappointed to see that you have forgotten how todays quick alignment fix for straight shots is tomorrows hooking out of bounds shot. But on a lighter note, one has to admire the sheer optimism of the keen golfer, to think that on a Friday afternoon he has stumbled on some great secret, then on the Saturday watching in dismay as it all goes horribly pear shaped. So the new secret is cast aside in disgust, never to be remembered again, and the search begins afresh for the new secret to golfing Nirvana. This optimism is typified by those poor souls that believe the advertising hype coming with the purchase of new equipment. Sure enough the new gear plays like a dream for approximately 27 holes before turning into the equivalent of some terrible dark monster. Then ironically it is banished to the darkest area of the garage to gather dust for eternity, or for the more pathetic types meekly offered as a trade for a fraction of its previous value.

#5 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • 36041 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

So when's the sale on Waff?

#6 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

Haven't bought a club this century Goldy.

#7 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • 36041 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

5 posts. That's all it took for me to thread jack. And from a mate, too. Ashamed.

#8 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39821 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

Ashamed but not surprised I expect Goldy?

#9 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • 36041 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

I'm a disgrace, Weetie. Please resume normal transmission Gaz.

#10 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39821 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

Nice background GPJ. Sounds like you are a natural - just got to deal with the headgames! Look forward to future installments.

#11 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

Looking forward to the journey.

#12 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23744 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

nice long 1st post there gaz thought i was on postcards again anyway fyi i have a yes Victoria too i got golfguy to add 10 gramms of lead to the arse smashes it awesomest putterer

#13 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

got get em tiger

#14 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18970 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

5 posts.

That’s all it took for me to thread jack.

And from a mate, too.

Ashamed.

“Do not let a flattering woman coax and wheedle you and deceive you; she is after your barn”……Ed Rayner

Successfully avoiding the NAGA since 2011.
Vice President of the “Rock Lobster 23” Fan Club.

Goldy, never met a thread you couldn't jack ......... so while I am thrilled to have now joined the growing list of threads that you have conquered......... it doesn't make me feel special. Now if you were to do it twice ............ that would be impressive!!!

#15 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

GPJ, Looking forward to hearing how you are progressing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users