#17 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3088 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Creek is a ripping course

It has improved significantly, the Beach is more memorable because it has a wow factor on some holes because of better land that the Creek does not possess.

#18 Smiles

Smiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

Played the Beach on Sunday, ripping course that ripped me apart in the wind and a bit of rain.

Favourite hole would be the 5th, real risk reward hole - could've played it half a dozen ways. Nice touch with the old asparagus farm pump and the tees are set up well too.

The par 3s were great too, I didn't think the 16th was memorable as I'd heard it would be but it was playing to a 3/4 lob wedge.

Greens were pure, the range was big and easy to use, and the clubhouse was a ripper.

Only issue? The 6th. **** hole. Apparently Cashmore doesn't like technology but it just strikes me as a nonsense, a real lottery hole. None of us had any idea how to play it, even after watching the fly-over on their site.

• Madambo likes this

#19 Notupnotin

Notupnotin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

Only issue? The 6th. **** hole. Apparently Cashmore doesn't like technology but it just strikes me as a nonsense, a real lottery hole. None of us had any idea how to play it, even after watching the fly-over on their site.

Chick that won the Vic open birdied it out of the very left bunker.........seemed to work for her
  • Rusty_Chopper_1984 likes this

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 Growling Frog "B" Grade Winner & N/P

-2017 GDGA Div 5 pennant winners (Winchelsea)

Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
H/C 8.7 on 11/3/17

PB Round 73/9/64 (11/3/17)
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#

https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#20 Smiles

Smiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

Chick that won the Vic open birdied it out of the very left bunker.........seemed to work for her

I imagine she played practice rounds and had 4 after that to work it out. Good luck to her though.

I'm sure the members have adjusted to it but as a green fee player, it's a nigh-on impossibility to play the first time around. Now, I'd probably hit 5 iron 5 iron wedge. Cashmore is entitled to his own take on golf but to me that's not a par 5. If you want to penalise length, make it risk and reward (as with the 4th) not completely remove the opportunity to hit driver.

Just makes me laugh that he has a hole like 6 then you have 14, which is as toothless a par 5 as you'd find anywhere in the country. I hit driver 8 iron off the Blue tees. Did he change his philosophy by the time he got round to the back nine? 4 is a good hole, and so is 11 - you can hit driver on both, have a crack at both and there's penalties if you get it wrong.

Edited by Smiles, 05 June 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#21 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4531 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

I imagine she played practice rounds and had 4 after that to work it out. Good luck to her though.

I'm sure the members have adjusted to it but as a green fee player, it's a nigh-on impossibility to play the first time around. Now, I'd probably hit 5 iron 5 iron wedge. Cashmore is entitled to his own take on golf but to me that's not a par 5. If you want to penalise length, make it risk and reward (as with the 4th) not completely remove the opportunity to hit driver.

Just makes me laugh that he has a hole like 6 then you have 14, which is as toothless a par 5 as you'd find anywhere in the country. I hit driver 8 iron off the Blue tees. Did he change his philosophy by the time he got round to the back nine? 4 is a good hole, and so is 11 - you can hit driver on both, have a crack at both and there's penalties if you get it wrong.

I had a look at it on the website after reading your comments, it says you should hit your 190m club off the tee. 

I think having variety on the Par5's is a good thing. A genuine 3 shot hole & a genuine 2 shot hole in the one course is a good thing. 

#22 Smiles

Smiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

I had a look at it on the website after reading your comments, it says you should hit your 190m club off the tee. 

I think having variety on the Par5's is a good thing. A genuine 3 shot hole & a genuine 2 shot hole in the one course is a good thing. 

Fair points, the reason I didn't hit my 190m club was it also said it for the 4th and that was proven to be unnecessary.

My viewpoint would be that the weather dictates that 2 of the par 5s are going to be 3 shot holes anyway, there's really no need to manipulate it. On Sunday, the 11th was a genuine 3 shotter, the 4th could've been reached but I went right and 15 was too easy. Massive landing area, and I was able to run a low iron up - if there'd been bunkering or decent swale in front of the hole I couldn't have just thrown it up high with no care in the world.

And the landing area on 6 just seems like a lottery too. I dunno, it just rubbed me up the wrong way.

No issues with any other hole, other than 15 was a walkover when I'd read this guy Cashmore hated technology.

Brutal breeze we played in, I hit driver 8 iron 511m then the next hole hit driver 3 iron into the front trap 350m. And hit the driver/3 as well as I could. And loved playing that sort of golf.

• Itchy4Scratch likes this

#23 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Bump:

Played beach course yesterday for the third time. I am not playing much at the moment so thought I would try and look at the course and rate it from not on how I played but pure fun and likability.

I have to say, I just think this course is so over rated.

I feel that there are about 5 standout holes that would hold up to many other top holes around the country but seriously, there are about 9 holes that seem so similar: whats with the amount of bunkers that split fairways? I thought these were suppose to kept for novelty value- not 3 or 4 holes in 18. Is the 6th hole. Actually has two on one hole. Wowee.

#24 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10418 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Bump:
Played beach course yesterday for the third time. I am not playing much at the moment so thought I would try and look at the course and rate it from not on how I played but pure fun and likability.

I have to say, I just think this course is so over rated.

I feel that there are about 5 standout holes that would hold up to many other top holes around the country but seriously, there are about 9 holes that seem so similar: whats with the amount of bunkers that split fairways? I thought these were suppose to kept for novelty value- not 3 or 4 holes in 18. Is the 6th hole. Actually has two on one hole. Wowee.

For me, The Creek is a mych better course
  • jafflemaker and Birdie_Blitz like this

#25 Birdie_Blitz

Birdie_Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

For me, The Creek is a mych better course

I get shouted down every time I say that, but couldn't agree more. More variation, probably less standout holes but less stupid holes too. Thirteenth beach members are spoiled (I'm not one) as I do think both are top quality courses but if I could only have one course to play day in day out then I would take the Creek.

• RobNewy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users