23 replies to this topic

#1 stevva

stevva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

loved the course. in the wind its bloody hard!

#2 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

Beach can be brutal in the wind. And on the creek, it's not uncommon to have your buggy blown into the water on a few holes.

#3 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

See, the trick is... to find your swing..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8709 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

bump this: just got back today after 10 days of sun and more sun on the Surf Coast of Victoria. A relative has a house in Aireys Inlet and we stay there each summer with the kids. Its a great holiday. So I ventured out to 13th Beach for 18 on the Beach Course to see how it has matured and whether it is still as good as The Dunes. Both are the best Public Access Courses I have played in Victoria. 13th Beach still rules. Some seriously breath taking holes, you get up to the tee and look out to the fairway, and you just stop, and stare.........the design, the routing, the scenes before you are amazing. Beware the wind on this course, what seemed like a fairly tame breeze, had most of my irons shorter by 3 clubs on some holes into the wind......even on some of the greens, up hill into the breeze proved testing.........best holes? The 5th hole, a par 4 where you hit up over the river to an elevated fairway right is an incredible use of exsiting land, and a fantastic hole. The green slopes off right left and back, and is protected by bunkers and some mounds so you can't see much of the green from the fairway, clever design for a short par 4.....the best on the course. The narrow fairway for the 11th, a 520m Par 5 is by far the best test of long hitting on the course. You stand on the tee, and it is like looking down a laneway. The hole opens up a bit 300m in, but this hole will test any golfer to make par. The 12th is a Par 3 that plays shorter than it looks and has a very slick green. Looking down at the hole and then deciding it is better to be long than short, you may find yourself with a tricky chip back, which could see you off the green and in the front bunker. Again a magnificent hole and brilliantly put together using the natural landscape. I could continue to rave about this course, but if you have not played it yet, do so........and post up here if you are, I will definatly make the effort to join you......

#4 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

12th is a par 3. The par 5 is the 11th.

#5 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8709 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:24 AM

cheers plou, fixed her up......

#6 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2938 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:26 AM

how did the new irons fare there?

#7 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8709 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

how did the new irons fare there?

haven't got them yet, the new shaft in the R9, that went pretty well. Didn't get the hang of it until the 18th, put it 280m down the left off the fairway. Could'nt believe it when I walked up and it wasn't in the fairway bunkers, flew them by a bit and bounced to leave me 120m to the pin from the short rough..........

#8 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

That's the local knowledge drive on 18. Carry the left pots at about 220m then it runs down the hill in light rough to leave a wedge in.

#9 Lord Giney McHookshank

Lord Giney McHookshank

Live Long and Two in the Pink...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:15 AM

Agree wholeheartedly. Beach Course is a gem. I was there with a mate and one one hole we both turned to each other and said "it's like looking at a screen saver". Snap!! Picturesque and challenging

#10 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Going down there this weekend for 2 games plus Barwon Heads! Im getting excited!

#11 Smiles

Smiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

Bump...heading to 13th Beach in 3 weekends' time.

We were keen to play the Beach, but ideally wanted to play on Saturday morning - which is members on Beach & public on Creek. Am I right in saying it's worth shifting our plans to Beach over Creek as a much superior course?

Also, not that it's going to stop us...but reading the hole by hole descriptions on their website - there's two par 5s in the first 6 holes where it demands you don't take driver, and they even suggest you take a chicken stick on the 11th as well? Not ideal for my gorilla style of golf

#12 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9851 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

I much prefer the Creek course over the Beach.

#13 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

Bump...heading to 13th Beach in 3 weekends' time.

We were keen to play the Beach, but ideally wanted to play on Saturday morning - which is members on Beach & public on Creek. Am I right in saying it's worth shifting our plans to Beach over Creek as a much superior course?

Also, not that it's going to stop us...but reading the hole by hole descriptions on their website - there's two par 5s in the first 6 holes where it demands you don't take driver, and they even suggest you take a chicken stick on the 11th as well? Not ideal for my gorilla style of golf

Beach isn't much superior than the Creek but IMO Beach is better. Creek is definitely worth playing though.

As for the 5's... the 4th and 11th depends on tee position and wind but driver is generally OK, where as driver is pretty much never OK on the 6th unless you have a strong tailwind and are a gorilla hitter such as yourself.

Edited by Drive4Show, 05 May 2015 - 01:31 PM.

#14 Smiles

Smiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

Sweet, cheers. Looks like a stunning layout, can't wait

#15 75@Dorset

75@Dorset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

As for the 5's... the 4th and 11th depends on tee position and wind but driver is generally OK, where as driver is pretty much never OK on the 6th unless you have a strong tailwind and are a gorilla hitter such as yourself.

From memory (a bit hazy from the beer the night before) on 11 you are 100% dead if you go left and probably dead if you go right, although there was more room, but the bunkers are in play if you can hit it that far (which I can't.) I think it is a raised green too, so really tough to hit in 2, so laying up is probably the smart play. 4 I hit Driver, Hybrid and then Wedge. Plenty of room out on the right next to the houses....just don't hit one!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users