100 replies to this topic

#1 waldo65

waldo65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

Who do you back? Company or the unions? I got to say I have a lot of sympathy for the unions/workers in this case. And generally i am not a big fan of union action. TO me it looks like Qa is trying all it can to shift all costs to offshire cheap option. I prepared to pay more if I knew that the guy steering the plane is happy, paid, and well trained.

#2 nondeplume

nondeplume

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

And when you realise the CEO Joyce received a 71% pay rise last year, you kinda want to take the workers and unions side.

#3 Bumpun_Beetle

Bumpun_Beetle

don't you member me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5285 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

How far do they go? How long will it take for the punters to get that pissed off with the constant strikes and cancellations to completely give QANTAS the flick and the company folds, where does that leave the workers?? The Unions will still have their jobs... As much as it doesn't seem far that Joycey gets his raise, that is one bloke getting an amount of money, abelt a lot of money but if the thousands of workers each wanted thousands more, that is a lot of thousand thousands of dollars, that is a lot less sustainable

#4 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10604 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

When are Australian Workers Going to realize that in the Small world in which we live now. They are Rapidly pricing themselves & the Businesses that employ them out of the Market. No matter wether you support Qantas or the Unions The facts are that it is cheaper for Australian Businesses to go offshore for their Labour . And They NEED to do that to stay Competative on the World Market. I might add that many European Nations are in a worse Situation & finding it very difficult to get people to give up allowances that have become commonplace but theGovernments are no longer in a Situation to be able to pay them. Bumps suggestion that Qantas could go down is not that outragious if you look at the global Financial situation

#5 Didntquitecatchit

Didntquitecatchit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts
  • LocationMelbourne City

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:15 AM

Go the workers! If a Australian whole work force isnt more important than one irish immigrant what hope do we have.

#6 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2655 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:17 AM

Qantas will go the way of Ansett....the unions screwed and screwed them until the company could no longer operate viably with ridiculous wages and conditions. Why would anyone want to risk flying Qantas when there are many as good RELIABLE airlines. Example: I've just booked a return flight to Bangkok via Thai Airways (who know how to look after their passengers) for $880....same flight with Qantas was $1550......a no brainer.

#7 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

Ahhhhh what was QANTAS' profits last year. I think you will find they are still one of the most profitable and healthy airlines going around. Joycey's bonus this year looks like it will be dwindling by the day :) I don't know the in's and out's but the Unions usually understand the balance between pushing too hard and risking jobs if you make the company unsustainable with outrageous demands. Go the workers.

#8 blacksnake

blacksnake

BS.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1973 posts
  • Locationa hole in the ground .

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

Qantas will go the same way of Ansett .What a load of Bulls@#t.If you get Qantas airplanes serviced outside of Australia .Just watch them fall out of the sky.We have some the best airplane safety in the world .So why go over seas .Because of cheaper labour rates . REMEMBER YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

#9 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

yep, been going on for years, they should have paid them more years ago, greed..............

#10 Gold_Coast_Golfer

Gold_Coast_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

I listened to Alan Joyce on sky news this AM and the prick can hardly speak english. Give the workers a pay rise you miserable grub,. QANTAS is and has been in the process of moving offshore for the last 5 years. QANTAS is fkd when the carbon tax comes in anyway

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20000 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

never fly quant arse so they can do what they like. in saying that, the ceo pay rise is a bit rude tho

#12 thewinepunk

thewinepunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

New Qantas lounges currently being renovated in major international airports, new uniforms being designed for all cabin crew, pilots on up to 500k a year, senior cabin crew on up to 100k a year. And so so many more variables to take into consideration. Their CDB would be massive....

#13 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14879 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

<)

I don’t know the in’s and out’s but the Unions usually understand the balance between pushing too hard and risking jobs if you make the company unsustainable with outrageous demands. Go the workers.

I have worked in industries ruled by unions, most of the officials are from Irish or Scottish background, they could not give a stuff about jobs it's like the politicians only looking out for themselves.

#14 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

one word GREED!

#15 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

Unions outlived their usefulness a long time ago. Qantas workers need to pull their heads in and get on with the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users