• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 boydie46

boydie46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

We have had 2 instances in the last month at our club where a team has been disqualified for entering a gross score less than actual but where the stableford points have been correct, ie a 3/3 was entered when it should have been 4/3. I understand that disqualification happens because of the incorrect gross score, but as the total net stableford points are correct, could rule 33-7 apply - could the committee use its discretion to waive disqualification. Is there a definition of 'exceptional circumstances'?

#2 thieftaker

thieftaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

No.: 33-7/4 Modifying Penalty for Returning Wrong Score Q. A marker inadvertently recorded a 4 for a competitor on a hole at which the competitor's score was actually 5. The competitor failed to check his score for each hole and therefore did not discover the error. The competitor returned his card to the Committee. Later, the competitor discovered the error while observing the scoreboard. He immediately reported the error to the Committee. Would it be appropriate in such circumstances to invoke Rule 33-7 and waive or modify the disqualification penalty prescribed in Rule 6-6d? A. No. A penalty of disqualification may be waived or modified only in exceptional circumstances. Under Rule 6-6d, the competitor is responsible for the correctness of the score recorded for each hole.

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

The answer is definitely no. The side must be DQ'd. Too many players are careless about checking the stroke score recorded. It is not hard. They just have to get into the routine at the end of the game. DQ a few times usually fixes it for a very long time. There can be a different result in Par competitions. See Rule 32-2a and the following Decision 32-2a/5 Handicap Bogey or Par Competition; Recording of Lower Gross Score Does Not Affect Result of Hole Q. In a handicap bogey or par competition, a competitor inadvertently returns his score card to the Committee with a score of 3 at the 10th hole when his score for the hole was actually 4. The 10th hole is a par 4 at which the competitor receives a handicap stroke. What is the ruling? A. As the recording of the lower score did not affect the result of the hole, i.e., the competitor would be awarded the hole despite recording a 3 instead of a 4, there is no penalty (Rule 32-2a).

#4 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4898 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

The problem here boydie is the committee is responsible for determining the Stableford points. They would assume the written hole score is correct and change the 3/3 into a 3/4 and suddenly you have one more point. Rule 32-2a: A competitor is disqualified from the competition if he incurs a penalty of disqualification under any of the following: ... Wrong Score for Hole, i.e., when the recorded score is lower than actually taken, except that no penalty is incurred when a breach of this Rule does not affect the result of the hole ...

#5 boydie46

boydie46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

OK, all accepted. Which then leads to the question of what are exceptional circumstances. In the above cases, both teams were asked by the committee before the winners were declared what was the correct gross score and both said the higher one. Both markers cards were available to confirm this. I'm not complaining by the way, I was one of the teams but I asked to be DQ'd because I thought I was in the wrong. But now its happened again to someone else, I thought I'd do some research. Exceptional circumstances without some examples seems to leave a lot of discretion to the match committee of the day.

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

"Exceptional circumstances without some examples seems to leave a lot of discretion to the match committee of the day." There are several examples contained in the Decisions. Go to Decisions relating to 33-7. Committees have plenty of material to understand how they act in various circumstances.

#7 thieftaker

thieftaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

Although relating to another rule (time of starting) read Dec. 6-3a/1.5 it gives some indication of what is exceptional (eg hardly ever ;). From that Decision" "There is no hard-and-fast Rule. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and must be left to the judgment of the Committee."

#8 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2396 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:41 AM

Entering the wrong gross score is not exceptional. Witness that it has happened twice at your club in close proximity. In a 4BBB there are at least two opportunities to get it right. The marker checking with one player and the player checking with his partner. Incidentally, it is good reason for not entering the points on the card. Just do what the rules require.

#9 boydie46

boydie46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

Thanks everyone, I think you've covered it all. I am aware there is a book of decisions, which I have seen once in our club's office. Can anyone tell me whether it is available online, or do you actually need the physical book.

#10 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10573 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

http://www.usga.org/...f-Golf/Rule-01/ The R/A have a similar site

#11 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10573 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

http://www.randa.org...lf.aspx#/rules/ I prefer this one.

#12 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Boydie46 The 2012 Rules and Decisions will be available in January. Although online is good there is nothing better than curling up with a good book. Seriously buy a hard copy in January for about $40. State Golf Associations and Golf Australia should have them in January.

#13 boydie46

boydie46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

Do pensioners get a discount? (I'll bet you couldn't tell I'm an old fart!)

#14 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10573 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

I actually found my first Copy at the local Municipal Library.:-)

#15 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6442 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Have you returned it yet??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users