25 replies to this topic

#16 ParkRoyal

ParkRoyal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

6 at 13th BB is a terrible hole, driver is simply not an option, the tee shot tells you that you should be hitting a hybrid to to 220 and thus determines the hole to be a 3 shotter. The 5th is a better example of risk/reward of going with the driver for the green or taking the easier option of playing to the 'fat' of the fairway.

#17 Virge666

Virge666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

How about the 4th at the Lakes . . . or the 13th ?

#18 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

6 at 13th BB is a terrible hole, driver is simply not an option, the tee shot tells you that you should be hitting a hybrid to to 220 and thus determines the hole to be a 3 shotter.

The 5th is a better example of risk/reward of going with the driver for the green or taking the easier option of playing to the ‘fat’ of the fairway.

Agree with the 5th but you can take driver on 6 and go straight over the pot. It's wide open for about 350m with light rough. Long with a little draw and you are on the fairway. Not long and a little draw and ur wet. I think they've taken out a lot of the rough behind the bunker and up to the 7th green.

#19 ParkRoyal

ParkRoyal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

I played there in march '11. They would need to have widened atleast 3 fold to have made it worthwhile with a driver. The pot should be the line, but it wasn't when I was there and there wasn't any light rough in that area, it probably pinches to no more than 5 meters.

#20 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'll have a crack tomorrow in practice and let you know if it works :) I personally hit 4 iron, 4 iron. wedge but some of the good guys hit driver if they are feeling adventurous. My point is that this hole is the ultimate risk/reward. But it will take more than just the latest technology to get there, unlike most par 5s where chumps can misfit 250m drives half decent.

#21 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

No1 in the world now is an average length hitter for a pro, the shorter players body is ideal for hitting a5, 6 or 7 iron which seems to be a popular second club, on the many 440 -480yard modern par 4 holes.They have a definite advantage there.Also Australian tournament courses don`t have super long par 3`s, all 160m or so.No monsters.Look at all the successful guys in Australian Golf, Lonard Pampling highest money winner Peter Senior, all with body types stocky 5 foot 8 or so perfect for a medium iron player.Bombers like Scott come into play at American designs with decent par3s lengthwise.

#22 CheapGolfsFinest

CheapGolfsFinest

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

How long will it be, though, before you feel the tipping point is reached where golf has to look once and for all at reining in technology as opposed to lengthening real estate? Five years' time? 10 years? Never? I've just read an interesting interview with course architectTom Doak in which he says that the paranoia over golf ball technology is misplaced. He thinks it will become irrelevant if you simply make the pros go back to wooden headed clubs, because wooden drivers are much less forgiving than the metal version, which would lead players either to drive with a more conservative swing or drop back to a 3 wood instead. Another point he makes is relevant to earlier comments in this thread: namely that modern pros don't even try for a fade or draw off the tee, they just hit it straight because the modern ball they use is less inclined to spin than balls of 20-30 years ago.

#23 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Big fast greens, the best putters on the day always win

#24 JohnLar

JohnLar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Think the 10th at Royal Melbourne. No long hitter has an advantage there.

#25 draualice

draualice

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

I'm not a long hitter, so, at a 320m par 4 with a dam on the left at 170m all the way to the green, when I pull out a 5 iron my mate laughed at me. Two 5 irons put me in the middle of the green; 2 putts with little or no risk. He bombed a driver to 50m short of the green, just missing the water, chipped on and 2 putted.
  • Li Ning likes this

#26 golf4meandbirdie

golf4meandbirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Course designers should always build a risk/reward strategy in every hole.

If you are long and straight you should have an advantage.

Play it as it lies, get on with it, its not life or death, its just a game!

I agree but having played the dunes recently, i think it has some risk reward issues currently with general backflowing green design and *super tough* pin positions notwithstanding the wind which can be diabiolical - all risk, not enough reward for a high risk shot into difficult cups imo because it seems to depend on luck in terms of your reward. It seemed impossible to fire for the pin without a big percentage of shots racing down the back especially with tail wind, to be unretrievable in par. A "safe" shot at the false fronts risking running back which makes you consider putting it even when your way off the green. Not a high risk reward strategy imo...but i could be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users