361 replies to this topic

#1 PeterCroker

PeterCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

In 1992 I teamed up with Jeff Johnson, and my teaching team at Golf Park Golf Improvement Centre in Melbourne, Australia and set out to build a series of action definitions of the basics of golf from putt to full swing and then to organise these fundamentals in a step by step program that both students and teachers could build the golf swing from the ground up. What I would like to do here is take you on a journey of discovery and ask you to share your ideas at each step so that we can all gain a greater perspective on what it takes to become a competent golfer. My first question to all is;" When you start out to learn to play this game as a beginner, or decide to upgrade your current swing and game, what would the first step be that your instructor would need to introduce you to?" Please let us see what evolves from this open discussion over the coming weeks.

#2 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

The grip.

#3 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

The instructor should tell his or her 'Magic of the Game'. A personal story about how they learned, why they play, and what the game means to them. It instills the passion of the instructor which will set the stage for a journey of a lifetime. If done right, they will never forget the day they began. Then putter grip...

#4 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

First "step"..............I agree...............GRIP

#5 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

The instructor should tell his or her ‘Magic of the Game’. A personal story about how they learned, why they play, and what the game means to them. It instills the passion of the instructor which will set the stage for a journey of a lifetime. If done right, they will never forget the day they began.

Then putter grip…

i gree with HP and dont include the time you spend on the conversation to his 1 hour lesson i am sure he will appreciate that.

#6 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:06 AM

The Law of the Flail.

#7 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:11 AM

To that I would add a discussion of the player's abilities, history, and desires. The original question is three-fold -- beginner or swing/game upgrade. I once had a player ask what I could do for him as a 12 handicap when he only allocated 30 minutes of warm up prior to 1 round per week. It was an interesting dilemma, and through the interview process we found a way to proceed. In 3 months he went to a 7.5. Everyone is different, with different experiences and different abilities. It's important to work through the process. While many pros and top players have spent hours upon hours hitting balls and committing to the game, it is the commitment level of the player that needs to be addressed and a program maximized.

#8 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

Over 200 views,surely there must be more opinions from all here at ISG............needs to be rebooted

#9 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:02 AM

Over 200 views,surely there must be more opinions from all here at ISG….........needs to be rebooted

I guess everyone agrees that its the GRIP. What does Mr. Croker think? Lets here from the man himself...

#10 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

yep

#11 PeterM

PeterM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:56 AM

Whether or not it is correct quite often I think one of the most important things in the first lesson is to get the student hitting it better. That way the student trusts that the teacher knows how to make them better and will come back for more lessons. I think this has to be the case as with so many teaching options available to students the teachers really have to prove in the students mind that they are right for the job. If you changed someones grip in the first lesson (unless they already have a great swing) they will hit the ball terribly and the change most likely wont stick and they wont go back to the pro again...

#12 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:08 AM

Whether or not it is correct quite often I think one of the most important things in the first lesson is to get the student hitting it better. That way the student trusts that the teacher knows how to make them better and will come back for more lessons.

I think this has to be the case as with so many teaching options available to students the teachers really have to prove in the students mind that they are right for the job. If you changed someones grip in the first lesson (unless they already have a great swing) they will hit the ball terribly and the change most likely wont stick and they wont go back to the pro again…

peter if the coach cant get you hitting it better in your first lesson get another coach thats MHO i am not a believer of you have two take two steps back befor you take one step forward thats a load of rot

#13 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4459 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:19 AM

The first step would be teaching ball control around a green with a putter and a PW & 8-iron.

#14 Dwedge

Dwedge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

Being self taught (so far, with lots of help from this site) i think it's how to address the ball properly. One of my biggest problems was where the ball should be in my stance and I see it with friends all the time (not that I tell them cause then how would I win?)

#15 Node

Node

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2323 posts
  • LocationMaryborough Queensland

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

Ok well I'm in the Swing/upgrade zone.... My current instructor at the local Driving range knows me quite well from going there and has given me the odd free tip. But when I set up a series of instructions with him he sent me out to warm up, watched me from front & side then video taped me playing 6i full shots and then we viewed it together. First he told me what he liked and then showed me what we needed to improve, why it needs to be improved and then we proceed back out to the range, corrected my grip and 1 other part of my swing and gave me some drills to practice it. So I suppose the grip was his first change he made with my swing upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users