147 replies to this topic

#1 djcraig

djcraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

im looking to join a club as part of my 'great plan' to play more golf and coupled with the fact im moving to Essendon I have started looking around. After a decent club to play at that's not too far. Saw that Sunshine is about 15 min drive from Essendon. Any thoughts on the course? (saw another thread but couldn't be bothered wading through all the posts on my ph). What type of lay out is it? What are the conditions like in different seasons etc? my preferred style is a shotmakers course... Risk/reward golf with Some longer par4s and a reachable 5 or two with the chance of getting on a birdie roll. Lots of straight away 320-340m par 4s does not make a course... Appealing. Any other suggestions? The peninsula is too far and I prob cant afford, or see the value in, an expensive sand belt track. Don't get me wrong I would gladly fork out $80+ to play a good course but having to play 5 times a month to break even on equivalent green fees is not a good value membership. I think that's my rant over.

#2 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:52 AM

Sunshine is your typical newish style course with rolling fairways, mixture of long and short par 4's, good collection of Par 3's also. Par 5's can test the best with the winds that blow through that way. Pretty decent variety on most holes. It is however on the great western claybelt which lends itself to some poor drainage and shoddy lies in the rough at the moment. It is still a pretty immature course and this should hopefully sort itself out over time and good weather. They have plated lots of trees that will give the course a different look and play a bit differently in 5-10 years. All in all, I like the course but don't have to play it every week. It has good practice facilities in my opinion. Range, big green and warm up net behind the first. I believe there have been concerns over management and levy's that others will no doubt talk about. Not much over this side when you live in Essendon. Check out The Northern. Nice old skool layout and members are mostly over 95yo so loads disabled parking bays.

#3 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:27 AM

Sunshine is decent, Northern is a lot better. There are lots better places to play than Sunshine but you will be paying a lot more and apart from Northern you will be spending longer travelling to play. I am member there, a while back I got frustrated and went somewhere else but I got bored of playing there and came back. For the money its good value. The food there is also pretty good. The previous manager was an absolute waste of space, Danny has been in the job for a couple of years now and he has got things running a lot bettter. As for the layout its a decent layout and decent length with a few really good holes. The greens are on the small side and for the most part are kind of flat - it doesn't have interesting green complexes like better courses do. IMO the main weakness of the layout is that most the holes have two much similartity in allignment with 13 of the holes basically running EW or WE. One of the big plusses is that there is a reasonable amount of elevation change on quite a few of the holes.

#4 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

Growling Frog is only an extra 20 min drive. You could join Sunshine or Growling Frog as a social member for golflink and play where ever you like. Keep your options open.

#5 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

Sanctuary lakes you should also look into

#6 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

Sanctuary lakes you should also look into

if you have a million dollars and want to be bored to death with the view of backyards. By the time you pay membership dues and then hire a cart for every round, you'd be up for a mint. You cannot possibly play that course without a cart if you want to play 18 holes....it must be 14km's by the time you add the distance between holes.

#7 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

you dont need a cart for every round, most members dont use one, I have only used one in two years. there are old blokes who walk it, its not far at all, people have used a GPS on it and its between 8 and 9k. Im a student and have a membership there, its not that expensive

#8 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

fair enough GSP. I have only played there once and just remember the drive between a number of holes seemed like a few k's. I only used a cart because it was in the deal.

#9 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:21 AM

I quite like Sanctuary Lakes but its something like $2,600 a year. I am not saying its not worth it, but I don't play enough to get good value out of it.

#10 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:35 AM

Yeah its not too bad though, 365 of that goes into your house account and some memberships include range balls gym and pool access. It works out well, just need to get used to playing in the wind. Much like Sunshine

#11 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:43 AM

Yeah its not too bad though, 365 of that goes into your house account and some memberships include range balls gym and pool access. It works out well, just need to get used to playing in the wind. Much like Sunshine

Love Santcuary Lakes - I could get used all of it apart from paying more or less double the fees.

#12 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

you would want to live in or around the estate to get value out of the gym, golf course etc. Not for me. It's all a bit retirement village like. I would want two courses for those membership dues.

#13 djcraig

djcraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

So.... Insomnia attack again and I find myself surfing the net about golf stuff. Just looked at the northern website. Those are impressive looking photos, but then you look at the membership faq's and it seems like I am trying to enroll for Harvard med school. And there is approx a 12 month waiting list for 6 day membership. Despite that it still interests me. Hawkers - is it as bad as they make it sound or is that just the official line on the site to ward off the rif-raf? I don't mind going through the process, interviews etc. Being The fine upstanding citizen i am i Don't imagine I will hAve any problems 'passing'. Also is there any chance of shortening the waiting time? My goal is to play pennants and rep golf again...

#14 djcraig

djcraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Btw "fine upstanding citizen" was written in in my favorite font - Sarcastica.

#15 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

I think it is a bit easier than they make out. You will probably have to start with a 6 day first up though. I know quite a few members and play there a bit. Lovely old skool course that doesn't feel like you have played for 3 day after 18 holes but on exactly a terribly short course. Good variety of holes. Bonus that it is pretty close. They are however selling some land and cutting a par 5 to a 4. Pity as it is a nice par 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users