Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

Murray Golf

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:51 AM

There's a group of 8 of of us planning a week's golf on the Murray in April next year. None of us have been there before and so would be grateful if people familiar with the Murray courses could offer advice. In particular is this a good time of the year? Which is the best base - we would rather stay in one place but stay 'n play rates might make it cheaper to move once or twice? Which are the best courses?

#2 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14058 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

My biased opinion is base yourself in Yarrawonga/Mulwala. Basically 30 minutes to Tocumwal, Cobram-Barooga and other country town courses that you can play. Any time of the year is usually pretty good, weather & conditions wise but April is a good choice. Don't go there on public holidays unless you pre book becasue every man and his dogs go there then.....try mid week if you can. Best courses - Yarawonga and Boarder Golf (54 holes), Tocumwal (36 holes) Cobram-Barooga (36 holes). Plenty of others nearby and just as good.

#3 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for this advice Francie. Have been trawling the internet a bit but it is hard to find info based on personal experience. Mid-week is not a problem as we are all retired. Plan is to fly to Melbourne (from NSW North Coast) and then hire a small bus. Some in the group have already suggested Yarrawonga as the base and even canvassed the idea of playing mainly there if the two courses are good enough. Would it be too cold if we left it a bit later, say May or even June? Thanks again

#4 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

Sorry - should have added to my post above. Would love any other opinions - biased or otherwise!

#5 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

Brian the courses at Yarrawonga are quality layouts and you have 45 holes. You could certainly park the bus in the car park and just leave it there ! Meals are fine and the courtesy buses cover the area so you can enjoy a few drinks at the differant social venues.

#6 Hawkers2013

Hawkers2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2544 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:02 AM

Isn't Yararwonga only 45 holes comprising two quality layouts (lake & murray) plus the shorter executive nine hole course. That said its good golfing all the same.

#7 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14058 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

Isn’t Yararwonga only 45 holes comprising two quality layouts (lake & murray) plus the shorter executive nine hole course.

That said its good golfing all the same.

Sorry............Hawkers is correct ............it is 45 holes; I got my numbers around the wrong way. I knew that but I'll put it down to a typing error. Brian, May or June will be fine.........some days start out very cold, (no cloud cover) but fine up to lovely days. Obviously I can't predict the weather but as long as we don't have a really wet year like this year it should be a good time to go as they say they get more sunshine than Qld.

#8 Hawkers2013

Hawkers2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2544 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

Winter days are mostly great at the Murray, dry cloudless days fantastic once the sun gets a bit of an edge.

#9 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

But it can go sub zero overnight and stay there for a 7am tee time. Personally I think Murray downs is head and shoulders above anything else on the Murray. But it's a fair drive to anywhere else from there other than barham.

#10 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for these comments. Will follow up on staying at Yarrawonga and make a later decision as to whether we will go to other courses. At this stage considering dates in late April. Any other comments most welcome. Thanks

#11 FrontBunker

FrontBunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

I think Yarrawonga is a good base. As has already been mentioned you have easy access to Yarrawonga, Tocumwal and Cobram which are all quality tracks. Plus Cowora is 'only' about 45 mins away which is meant to be a nice 36 hole layout. I should say that I have found Cobram to be a bit cheaper for accomodation but not as much fun off course in terms of places to get a decent feed and a few drinks. If you get the opportunity you should consider having a hit at Sheperton, although its a bit over an hour away from Yarrawonga, it is a really beautiful course As for best time, I think April or May would be good, before the dead of winter. Not too cold and you might be able eek a few more minutes day light out of each day... A week of golf anywhere is bound to be good though

#12 JimBob069

JimBob069

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

Another for Yarra, I've been going for 12 years at that time of the year. Great golf, good club & meals & staff. Grab the bus to Yarra & enjoy the pubs each night. I'll be back there in April 2012.........if you want to travel Cobram Old is good, Toc either course & Corowa is great also. Enjoy

#13 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:13 AM

Book early Brian, its not easy getting in to Yarrawonga. I have tried to book a few dates up to Christmas and have had no luck....Mike..

#14 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

Thanks everyone for these insights. Will check back on this thread from time to time in the hope that anyone who plays and/or stays in the area might give a quick update on their experience Thanks again

#15 CGoddard

CGoddard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

Each year a group of my mates go for a week long trip up to a golf resort on the Murray, in fact we are heading to Rich River tomorrow morning. We have been to Rich River(twice now), Corowa and Murray Downs (twice). For me Murray Downs is the stand out of those 3, the accommodation is great, the club has good facilities with decent meals and the golf course is head and shoulders above Corowa and Rich River. We all agreed that Corowa was the worst of the 3, accommodation was average, the club always closed really early and the course was in good condition but was a bit boring. We are heading back to Rich River this year for a shortened trip, since we were there 4-5 years ago they have renovated the club area and the 2 courses there are pretty good. The only problem for Murray Downs is that it's not really close to other courses if you want to play at multiple places during your trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users