• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#16 hpractitioner

hpractitioner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:41 AM

Hi Barbara, Zen, Foster12345, The focusBand measures 5 different components 1. Quiet Eye (how quiet the eye's are or excessive blinking) 2. Face Tension 3. Anxiety (breathing and if you are in the now, not past or future) 4. Focus (Focus of Attention) 5. Mushin (Switching to right brain) Each component has a threshold that activates the audio feedback, which we can adjust according to how good the student is. Zen regards Visual Feedback The focusband is great to start of with Visual feedback, then use the audio feedback and finally it becomes Kineasthetic as you feel when you are in the Mushin state, switching to right brain is hard to articulate on. Mushin is not something that you can explain it has to be experienced. Clear Keys Once you have a good mental pre shot routine process and understand external focus (the target) and in the mushin state, you really don't need clear keys, (mushin is a heightened state of clarity) Anxiety We have found the majority of students that thought they had anxiety actually had poor focus and no mushin. They didn' t know what they were meant to be doing in there mental pre-shot routine, which is different to their physical pre-shot routine. The focusband helps you link your mental pre shot routine to your physical physical routine, so it all becomes automatic. It allows you to just hit the shot without thinking about it. You have done all the hardwork at the range, now you have to let go, and trust yourself and get into the mushin state.

#17 hpractitioner

hpractitioner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

On thread,

Henry who do I talk to in Sydney.

For tuition in Sydney call Paul Hart (TheDart) 0412 070 820.

Terry Hill’s, St. Michael’s or Duntryleague Golf Club Orange

Hi Dart, We don't have any one in Sydney currently, are you heading up to Gold coast anytime soon.

#18 hpractitioner

hpractitioner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

your video was realy interesting to me, I have found it very difficult to have a lesson then go straight out a play very well. I find myself trying so hard to do the right swing that its not very fun and It feels more like work. When I just stop thinking so much, I usually do better.

Questions
is it ok to think about the right motion in my practice swing?

How do you just turn off thinking about your swing, I understand why this would be important but how do you do it?

Hi Barbara, Once you are out playing on the course, I would say no to thinking about technique. Its best to keep the two separate. Technique mode During a lesson working on a swing change on the range Play mode Targeted practice Playing on the course Your best to see a FocusBand instructor, its really the only way to know how to get into mushin, as we can measure it. Everyone has there on way of getting into mushin, so there is no one right way, we give you tips on how to get into it, but in the end, its up to you the student to control how to get into mushin. We worked with the Australian baseball u/19 team camp last year, each one of the 70 kids had a unique way of getting into mushin.

#19 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:58 AM

Hi Barbara, Zen, Foster12345,

The focusBand measures 5 different components
1. Quiet Eye (how quiet the eye’s are or excessive blinking)
2. Face Tension
3. Anxiety (breathing and if you are in the now, not past or future)
4. Focus (Focus of Attention)
5. Mushin (Switching to right brain)

Each component has a threshold that activates the audio feedback, which we can adjust according to how good the student is.

Zen regards Visual Feedback
The focusband is great to start of with Visual feedback, then use the audio feedback and finally it becomes Kineasthetic as you feel when you are in the Mushin state, switching to right brain is hard to articulate on. Mushin is not something that you can explain it has to be experienced.

Clear Keys
Once you have a good mental pre shot routine process and understand external focus (the target) and in the mushin state, you really don’t need clear keys, (mushin is a heightened state of clarity)

Anxiety
We have found the majority of students that thought they had anxiety actually had poor focus and no mushin. They didn’ t know what they were meant to be doing in there mental pre-shot routine, which is different to their physical pre-shot routine.

The focusband helps you link your mental pre shot routine to your physical physical routine, so it all becomes automatic. It allows you to just hit the shot without thinking about it. You have done all the hardwork at the range, now you have to let go, and trust yourself and get into the mushin state.

ty hpractitioner I can relate to what your saying, and at times i have experienced this state of mind, and its hard to explane it. closest i can explane it, is your there, and aware, but your not. hope that makes sense. i am proned to anxiety through illness and i have breathing exercises. I take 2 short breaths instead of 1 slower full breath when im anxious

#20 hpractitioner

hpractitioner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

Barbara, a widely used method has been ClearKeys wherein the brain is distracted from swing thoughts by reciting a nursery rhyme or similar.

I expect that FocusBand would still register that as brain activity, though.

Self hypnosis would be a way of ‘zoning out’.

It would be interesting to see how FocusBand and Zenolink might be combined.

OldBogey
OoM#9

GolfLink

OlindaGolfClub

Old Bogey,
I have a general idea about focus band where it would be good is give visual feedback so people can see what we already know. They are using their left side of the brain instead of the right side.
With clear keys what it does it keeps the left side busy and then gets people’s head out of the way to allow their right side of the brain to operate. This works well with what we do because we teach people nueromechanics which is the right side. So when people swing the club the clear keys takes the left side out of play and allows the athlete’s neuromechanics do their job.
I’m interested to understand more on how focus band can teach someone how to stop the left side interfering during the golf swing.
If it can stop people from getting anxiety and their left brain interfering during the golf swing it would be great and benefit what we do. Clear keys so far is the solution, maybe focus band could do the same.
My issues aren’t not being able to focus on the target etc my issue is anxiety or left brain kicking in under pressure during my swing and there is jack any one can do about it. Although clear keys solved this for our clients.
May be focus band can do this as well.

Like any thing in order any of the mental stuff to work your right side or neuromechanics need to be trained first or the mental training you can’t utilize it’s full potential. If your neuromechanics or biomechanics is an arms swing what’s going to happen when you switch to your right side you create a arms swing. Although if you learn to develop a kinetic link when you switch to right side you create a kinetic link.
Mental is another important side of the puzzle:)
HP how do you stop people’s left brain being active or anxiety during the shot?

here zen hope this helps

Thought Patterns

How you think affects how you view the world and how
you react to stress. Negative thought patterns like “what-if”
thinking, perfectionism, all or nothing thinking, and victim talk
can contribute to an anxiety disorder. In fact, negative
thoughts can actually create physical symptoms in your
body.

Can I change it?: Yes. Research shows that you have
the power to change your thoughts, which can in turn affect
how you physically and mentally feel. Through healthier
thoughts, you can learn to view the world in a less anxious
way and feel better.

How do you change your thoughts? By using the three
“R”s we discussed in the last newsletter: Recognize, Replace,
and Reinforce.
i read it every day
question those thoughts you will never stop them entering your brain
the 3 Rs 1st R is the most important one

I have uploaded 2 videos, one tour player, and an amateur player (was 25 handicap) Note: when the blue line goes low and the music comes on they are in mushin, when it goes high and no music they are out of mushin The amateur player was able to get into mushin better then the tour player, as he has developed a great mental pre-shot routine, no clutter, great process, he just does it, he is in the "now". The tour player is thinking too much, thinking about the "what if's and not trusting his instincts and ability. Tour Player Amateur Player

#21 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:00 AM

TY for those vids HP i learnt something today. HP would you consider a reflex action as being in mushin? If not what would it be?

#22 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

HP: Cool gadget. Your Target focus is exactly why you need Clear Keys as that focus causes end level stress when you don't hit it often enough. Foster, luke 1147 et al : Keep filling a cup up with ideas (your brain) to quieten down the conscious part ( with positive visualisation) ends up causing anxiety all by itself. The Power of Thought has to have the Power of Result for it move from conscious to non conscious process. This is the case for breaking any habit or phobia. If a machine reads what you do, its the change in the skill depth which will change the readings on the machine for good. So its a good machine to test your conscious and non-conscious development. Same idea as Uni's testing via EEGs of players on clear keys for years as Dr M has done.

#23 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

Foster, luke 1147 et al : Keep filling a cup up with ideas (your brain) to quieten down the conscious part ( with positive visualisation) ends up causing anxiety all by itself. who is luke?

#24 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

HP is a guest giving an alternative to clear keys, which makes sense to me.beats reciting mary had a little lamb when your trying to play a shot,IMO

#25 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

"And that Luke (nick) Skywalker, is why you fail." Back to my swamp - been a fun visit.

#26 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

???????????

#27 hpractitioner

hpractitioner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

HP: Cool gadget. Your Target focus is exactly why you need Clear Keys as that focus causes end level stress when you don’t hit it often enough.

Foster, luke 1147 et al : Keep filling a cup up with ideas (your brain) to quieten down the conscious part ( with positive visualisation) ends up causing anxiety all by itself.

The Power of Thought has to have the Power of Result for it move from conscious to non conscious process. This is the case for breaking any habit or phobia.

If a machine reads what you do, its the change in the skill depth which will change the readings on the machine for good. So its a good machine to test your conscious and non-conscious development. Same idea as Uni’s testing via EEGs of players on clear keys for years as Dr M has done.

Hi Iseekgolfguru, thanks for the feedback, the focusband is EEG, we have our own unique filters and algorithms. The difference with Uni testing and us is the FocusBand is a rugged wireless unit, allowing us to use it indoors, outdoors and on the golf course, were it really counts. It doesn't just test your conscious and non conscious development, it leads the student to self mastery, as the student has to work out how to control their mind to get into the mushin state. Your Target focus is exactly why you need Clear Keys as that focus causes end level stress when you don’t hit it often enough. That is only a problem if you are result orientated, if the player stays in the process the results will come. It means the player is thinking about the future (result) and is not in the present moment (process) so they would not be in a mushin state. Ill post some more videos tomorrow showing a result orientated player before and after

#28 hpractitioner

hpractitioner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

hpractitioner,

Is it possible to play golf in theta and delta as well as alpha or some where close?

For tuition in Sydney call Paul Hart (TheDart) 0412 070 820.

Terry Hill’s, St. Michael’s or Duntryleague Golf Club Orange

HI Dart, We learn information and play our best sport in theta and alpha Standard brain frequencies Delta 1-4 hz (Sleep) Theta 4 - 8 hz (Focus) Alpha 7 -13hz (Coherence) Beta 13 - 38hz (2 levels - lower level is ok, higher level is anxiety) We think this is how every golf lesson should start, 5 minutes on the FocusBand, so the student is in the right learning state of mind (theta and alpha), otherwise the information your a telling them just doesn't go in (beta) It usually takes the student 3-4 minutes to get down into alpha and theta frequencies with a couple of single point focus drills I hope that answers your question

#29 keygolf1372662077

keygolf1372662077

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

hpractitioner: I want to be careful to understand what you are putting forth, since I am hearing a kind of mixed message in what comes through. I have not found clarity in what is said here so far, and that was not made better by visiting your website. It is also apparent that you really do not understand what the function of clear keys is, even though zen tried and, I believe, successfully, to clarify that for you. Hopefully you can answer some questions that seem pertinent to me. 1. In what way does your program (process) block anxiety signals from the immune portion of the central nervous system while you are in the act of actually moving a club toward impact with the ball in competition? 2. In what way does your program separate between what is conscious and what is non-conscious and deal with those factors beyond simply preparing people to do better? 3. How is you program different from using EEG to diagnose other problems? Beyond that, I have trouble seeing beyond the typical approach to the mental game that stresses "get ready, and "be prepared," unless you can point to a way in which it guards the physiological system from reacting instantaneously to what Hans Selye. MD spent his entire life showing happens when anxiety is present , based on how anxiety works. You comments suggest that you may not full appreciate how that does work. I have no doubt that what you have put together will, as you say, "lead to" a better prepared player. I applaud that. But you will still need the guard against immediate insult at the moment of action.

#30 foster12345

foster12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4148 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

Listening to all this mental stuff on here just cements a conclusion i came to in 1985,the golfers that seem to do well are the ones who can distance themselves from all the techniques and detailed instruction that they recieved over the years once they learnt the skills. You all have the talent to make good golf swings once you aquire the skills through coaching. Its time to let go and just swing and trust it. you were all born with the talent to drive a car,then you were taught the skills. eg push the clutch down change gears etc Now its time to drive it, do you need to trick your mind so you dont think of all the instructions you recieved that gave you the ability to drive it. I think not I have asked some very good golfers over the years,how do you start your backswing or downswing. reply was i have no idea, i just do it. The rest can tell you every moving part in their swing in detail. TGM says the mind is in your hands,clear keys says think anything but the action your about to perform. focus band is the only one who has mentioned FOCUS you cant see hinge action but you can see the target, you cant see the plane line, but you can see the ball. focus on the ball Do you think a tennis player is not focusing on the ball and what spin it has etc. do you think a batsman is not focusing on the ball as it comes out of the bowlers hand, he can actually see the seem and which way its likely to swing, or is he thinking staight bat. i think not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users