Photo

Rory: Hip deceleration ... and reversing!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39030 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

Something zen has talked to me about is how important hip DEceleration is in the kinetic chain. Have a look at this video from Titleist Performance Institute. Rory's hips go even more than decelerating, they reverse direction. Rory on TPI I'm not sure if the reason is the force of contraction in the obliques or whether it is the force of the left leg pushing against the ground - I'll let zen talk about that. But anyone who doubts that your hips decelerate in a good quality kinetic link might find this interesting. Might even change their mind!

#2 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

Think he will call it counter torqueing (sp). But will leave that up to Zen.

#3 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39030 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:22 AM

There's a great view of it in the video - close up of Rory's hips as they counter torque. Incredible vision. Very cool.

#4 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

agree, maybe we can try and relocate on friday....

#5 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

Zenolink calls it super stiffening and is part of training drill and has been for 20 years. Don't try it at home. Naturally it is not thought of in a golf swing. But I know you will try it. There are about 15 drills that use super stiffening. When it comes to a golf swing it feels like a smooth turn with heaps of torque and ground forces. The first time I saw Rory I noticed the move and I am glad it has been uncovered. The opposite move is overcommitment or spinning out. A normal fault.

#6 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39030 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

Russ - relocate? Dart - Russ and I are both doing PST so we know it is pointless to try and make ourselves counter torque consciously, or super stiffen.

#7 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

replicate... To many beers.and watching footy and golf at the same time...

#8 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39030 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

Ahh ... lets hope mate! BTW - would you believe placegetter is playing in the Audi corporate event that locked Brookwater up for us next Friday! Bastard!

#9 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25175 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

Ahh … lets hope mate!

BTW – would you believe placegetter is playing in the Audi corporate event that locked Brookwater up for us next Friday! Bastard!

My wife says that everything I’m interested in starts with G: God Golf Girls. She has a point!

Let's get him!!!!

#10 AB_LongGolfer

AB_LongGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

It is a very good video to pick up that move, thanks for sharing weetbix! I must pick on TPI though, as with all their videos that tend to go "just" a bit to far... 1. They spend all that time telling you about his hip speed and how his hips counter torque and then they say "and while it isn't they key to his length..." WTF??? Wasn't that the point of the video? 2. Then they state "he generates 175+mph ball speeds among the fastest in the world!" WFT??? Are they for real or are they taking the piss? That is not even close to the fastest on the PGA tour... (Let's not even mention LD competitors...) 3. The guy at the end... What's up with those ears? lol... Still good video for viewing pleasure, so thanks again weetbix...

#11 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2675 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi Everyone, I quickly did a 5 minute video to explain the counter torquing of the hips that Rory creates. Explaining counter torquing Rory

#12 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

yes I agree, lets get him.

#13 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39030 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thought exactly the same things AB. Obviously they totally ignored the long drivers. Actually it is probably a bit dangerous because they actually emphasise his hip rotation speed and talk about the counter torque as some sort of reaction to his abs, which if someone goes out there and tries to recreate that they'll be spinning out like loonies! And then doing some weird ab crunch. Don't think it will make for a good golf swing?

#14 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

This was written by a golf instructor in one of his publications during the 1930's. "The downswing is, in a sense, much less complicated; at any rate the important points are easier to grasp and carry out. Speaking broadly, the movements are the reverse of those in the back-swing. The player should proceed as follows: Slowly but firmly unwind at the hips by a forward and downward movement of the right hip and a rotary and upward movement of the left hip. This movement is really the reverse of the hip movements in the hip swing. It is accomodated by a slight lowering of the body towards the ground and a splaying of the knees. The hip movement will be in advance of the shoulders, and when the left heel comes back to earth the left leg will be braced. The left leg below the knee is now taut, and fighting against the tendancy of the body to come forward. Above the knee the rotary movement of the thigh and hip continues now as a twist, getting the left side out of the way, as it were, of the stroke" There you have it, as described in 1932.

#15 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25175 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

Raz, that doesn't really go as far as to say the hip stops turning at any point. The taut left side that braces the body is indeed what I feel I have been working on of late with my ground forces. It's like (these are just my words) the left side catches me as I launch into it. The left side braces and slows/catches my hips then I fire the torso against that stable platform. I guess that the speed is passed from the hips through, albeit a heap slower that young Rory! There is a forwards press PST that I do that used to be very hard for me. I think now I'm starting to get it. My left leg is so damn important. When I throw a ball I'm well into my left side by the time I've even completed half my forward motion, it's starting to 'feel' like that in golf now. To elaborate a little, sorry for going on. I spent much time learning to press from the right side. Now this is important, but I neglected what I was pressing into! I'm finding the way my left side reacts and stabilises my swing is becoming of utmost importance to me know, even in chipping. "Weight on the left side" how many times do we hear this about chipping? Well it's not just weight I think, but that stability, tautness, 'catching' feeling. For me anyhow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users