• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SMan

SMan

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:51 AM

Hey guys Enjoy reading the forum. I need help with purchasing new irons. Im a Calaway fan (not Kiwi) but very ignorant when it come to the others. I dont have a handycap but would play +25-30. Also Im a lefty. Should I buy from sites like the Golfsmith/Carls golfland, they tend to beat any prices from OZ. Also getting fitted, where do you recommend. I have a slow swing speed and can only drive 180-210 meters.

#2 Not_a_clue

Not_a_clue

Not-A-Clue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1496 posts
  • LocationChiang Mai, Thailand

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

Thats easy. Get hold of a set Mizuno JPX800's. http://golf.mizunoeu.../irons/jpx-800/ Where to buy?... http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322 I can vouch for their authenticity. If you can get through the advertising hype of Callaway, you'll find their clubs, like their advertising, are over-rated and over priced.

#3 reprise

reprise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Mate, if you post something like that you are going to get an abundance of replies from the mizuno freaks. Mizuno this, mizuno that, mizuno mizuno mizuno. And my boy, they are 100% right.

#4 Not_a_clue

Not_a_clue

Not-A-Clue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

Mate, if you post something like that you are going to get an abundance of replies from the mizuno freaks.
Mizuno this, mizuno that, mizuno mizuno mizuno.
And my boy, they are 100% right.

Music to my ears!

#5 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6619 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:07 AM

1st off irregardless of what brand you want go get fitted also where abouts do reside as it will help others to reccomend a fitter in your area 2ndly buying from overseas is well and good but you can not try them out when they are overseas in another country where as you can here look at the end of the day your best thing you can do is go and get fitted take ya specs to the golf sho so they can get clubs suited to your swing also hit as many clubs as you can before purchasing

#6 SMan

SMan

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

Thank you guys. Live in the southern parts of Brisbane.

#7 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8309 posts
  • LocationTol free Zone

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

Are you having or planning on getting lessons? If so listen to what the pro recommends!! Then get fitted!! End of story

#8 Not_a_clue

Not_a_clue

Not-A-Clue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

If the pro is hell bent on pushing a specific brand down your throat, back peddle as fast as you can. See one that is not getting kick backs from the club manufacturers.

#9 reprise

reprise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

Some pro's are 'sponsored' or have commercial agreement's with certain brands and may try and push them......best bet is to buy mizuno ;)

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22047 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

Sman, it's a catch 22. You need to have a good, reliable swing before you get fitted, or the readings may be quite inaccurate. On the othjer hand, it can be difficult to develop a good, reliable swing if the clubs aren't at least a reasonable match to your swing. So, if you haven't been playing long and your current clubs are reasonably usable, spend some money on lessons to hone your skills. When you have improved somewaht, reward yourself with some better clubs. Oh, and join a club - you'll get so much more out of your golf. You don't need to be a skilled golfer to become a club member.

#11 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

Thank you guys. Live in the southern parts of Brisbane.

Go and see Mark Victorsen at Pacific golf club. For $50 he will have you hitting various brands and set-ups till you find what you need. Once you know what you need then you can make the decision of what to purchase. I did this a couple of weeks ago and will never look back. Should have done it years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users