#31 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

That's interesting.
Iwas there for 3 years and only came across 2 members that i would be happy to never play with again.

You probably had you own group most of the time did you Rob?

#32 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24379 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

Are the ISG mafia a clique?

Yes, but as you well know, they'll play with anybody. 

As far as you know.

I do know a lot. 

Nope, he's right, out of every single country club there is none, not a one single crap.

the proof

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#33 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11149 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:09 AM

You probably had you own group most of the time did you Rob?

Not allthe time, no

I was a single player a heap, never had a problem
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#34 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14913 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:12 AM

Not allthe time, no

I was a single player a heap, never had a problem

why did you leave?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#35 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Whilst the proposer/seconder thing has largely gone out the window, it did have the benefit of providing a new member with a way to meet other members via their sponsor and learn how the club works.

Nick2397, as I have recently gone onto the board I have been thinking about the new member experience, we have little cliques as do most clubs.

I wonder if there is a way outside the proposer system where a group of members would volunteer to see a new players through their first 6-12 months until they "get on their feet". Clearly Nick isn't a good advertisement for the club he joined.

For clubs who are always trying to get new members, what have you guys done to make new punters welcome and has it been a success.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#36 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4335 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

Talking to them is a good start,,,,
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

#37 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

Whilst the proposer/seconder thing has largely gone out the window, it did have the benefit of providing a new member with a way to meet other members via their sponsor and learn how the club works.

Nick2397, as I have recently gone onto the board I have been thinking about the new member experience, we have little cliques as do most clubs.

I wonder if there is a way outside the proposer system where a group of members would volunteer to see a new players through their first 6-12 months until they "get on their feet". Clearly Nick isn't a good advertisement for the club he joined.

For clubs who are always trying to get new members, what have you guys done to make new punters welcome and has it been a success.

It would be good if groups of members volunteered to help out a new member, I'm all for it and if someone is a new member I personally make them feel welcome. However, it seems at some clubs, a lot of people are not interested in new members and are frowned upon by those that refuse to interact with people outside their circle of friends. People can be fuckwits. 

Edited by Nick2397, 27 December 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#38 TNT

TNT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

This original post was made while I was at Croydon GC, but I've realised they are not even close to the level of cliques

that I have seen while been at Eastern GC the past three years, where it seems if you are not someone's mate, part of

a clique or a high powered professional such as a lawyer or CEO, you get treated like a garbage. I can't wait to head back to Croydon GC where the company was mostly normal everyday people such as myself, where you at least get treated with some respect no matter if you are a blue or white collar worker.

Maybe the problem isn't the cliques, but the bloke you see in the mirror every morning (with the massive chip on his shoulder). 

#39 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11149 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

why did you leave?

It just got to Expensive to quickly
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#40 Ink🐾

Ink🐾

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35461 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

They installed garage doors

#41 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1872 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

We are having weeks where you can only book two spots to encourage people getting to know each other but no major issues as is

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#42 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13255 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

We are having weeks where you can only book two spots to encourage people getting to know each other but no major issues as is

Just out of interest, were the winning scores any lower those days?

Not necessarily saying there's a cheating afoot with regular 4 balls, but as club golfers you'd be a lot more confident and comfortable I'm your normal group.
  • Bluethunda likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#43 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1872 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Not necessarily saying there's a cheating afoot with regular 4 balls, but as club golfers you'd be a lot more confident and comfortable I'm your normal group.

No

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#44 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5729 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

It's the opposite in my regular groups. Banter and condescension are mandatory wheras i actually get praised when i play with people i dont know.
  • RobNewy likes this

#45 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39035 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Praised for what?
  • Bluethunda and Francie like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

NTP Yering Meadows 25th hole 1/12/18

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users