81 replies to this topic

#16 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Isn't it funny when people on here are asked to identify themselves, they disappear like will o'the wisp! Where are you Casualgolfer?

#17 4for4

4for4

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

maybe he's out playing golf ...

#18 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

Nick McK , I sometimes play at YM on Thursdays with some clients who are members at YM. Keep an eye out for a black Titleist carry bag around the same time that you play and if you are on your own and we need a single my mates will ask you to join. They have pointed you out before as an iseek scribe as some of your writings are certainly different and have upset a few with your opinions. Hope you don’t mind but they are on very low handicaps and are greens, so they will enjoy talking politics with you. I look forward to the banter and by the way, we throw the balls up to decide partners and play for $10 front nine, $10 back nine and $20 for the 18 to be spent over the bar. Hope you are happy to participate.

#19 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Won't mention names on here, but I've got an idea of which group you are referring to. Anyway look forward to hopefully catching up with you soon.

#20 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

i know a bunch of guys that are sat members at YM for Geelong and Hawthorn supporters they're alright

#21 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

This original post was made while I was at Croydon GC, but I've realised they are not even close to the level of cliques

that I have seen while been at Eastern GC the past three years, where it seems if you are not someone's mate, part of

a clique or a high powered professional such as a lawyer or CEO, you get treated like a garbage. I can't wait to head back to Croydon GC where the company was mostly normal everyday people such as myself, where you at least get treated with some respect no matter if you are a blue or white collar worker.

Edited by Nick2397, 26 December 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#22 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23819 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

This original post was made while I was at Croydon GC, but I've realised they are not even close to the level of cliques
that I have seen while been at Eastern GC the past three years, where it seems if you are not someone's mate, part of
a clique or a high powered professional such as a lawyer or CEO, you get treated like a garbage. I can't wait to head back to Croydon GC where the company was mostly normal everyday people such as myself, where you at least get treated with some respect no matter if you are a blue or white collar worker.

Try a country course - none of that crap.

#23 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17286 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Well dont play cricket in a country club if you are an outsider, definite cliques.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#24 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13160 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

Are the ISG mafia a clique?

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event 

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#25 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34926 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:50 PM

More like a cliche
  • iRON MiCK likes this

#26 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38229 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

Try a country course - none of that crap.

As far as you know.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#27 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12875 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

As far as you know.

Nope, he's right, out of every single country club there is none, not a one single crap.
It has been confirmed, just check the internet for links
  • Goldy likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#28 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

Cliques, now that's an interesting subject.

Been a Member at The Flats for nigh on 40 years, and previously a Member at Burleigh before that when I lived down the Coast. If anything, Burleigh was far more cliquey than The Flats in them days.

New Members at Burleigh, at least in 1974 when I joined, were rarely able to get a game with established Members who all had their regular fours. Basically, you made your own cliques by playing with the other new Members, and that's just how it worked. Rarely did you get to play with long-term Members unless someone in their regular four was away.

Strange thing was, when I joined The Flats, whilst there were a few regular groups, mostly you just put your name on the time sheet and copped whoever. It might have been Sir Some-one-or-other, or the reigning Club champion, a captain of industry, or a humble pleb like me. Yes, there were a few up 'em selves tossers, and would-be-if-they-could-be types, but by and large there were no cliques to speak of.

That's not the case now - the world has changed, and not for the better.

The Membership in those days was much older than now, and there were a lot of WWII vets who were great blokes. They truly welcomed you to the Club and always invited you to have a game with them. They were especially keen if you were a young golfer making his way down in cap.

I guess also they were different times in that drink driving was not an issue, and not having kids to worry about, I didn't have to be home sooner than I left. Saturday golf was often leave home at 11.00, leave the Club at 19.30 to go and have few more. Yep, different times! 

So, now I play in my semi-regular four which is somewhat inter-changeable with two other fours, and unlike the 'old days' when I knew everyone in the Club, I now know about a third of the Membership. All the newer Members play in the morning and very few even enter the clubhouse, and of the afternoon players only about a dozen even bother to shower and stay for more than one drink.

Not our group though - we keep the till ringing......but I'm fortunate to have an angel who will drop me at the Club, and pick me up afterwards. The days of drink driving are long gone! ;) 

Cliques - make of them that you will!   

• Weetbix, RobNewy and PerryGroves like this

#29 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11047 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

That's interesting.
Iwas there for 3 years and only came across 2 members that i would be happy to never play with again.
  • Bluethunda likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#30 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17286 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

That's interesting.
Iwas there for 3 years and only came across 2 members that i would be happy to never play with again.

You have a genuine love of the game though Rob, you just turn up and play
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users