81 replies to this topic

#1 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

No doubt there would be people that either read or post on this forum, have their usual group of four with which they always play in for each and every comp in which they participate in. They are usually reluctant to budge with this and have little time in regards to possibly meeting new people at the club. I was wondering about the reasoning behind this and why they are unwilling to play with other people once in a while. Personally, I would find it boring to play with the same people time and time again. What are your views about cliques at golf clubs? Are they good or bad for clubs?

#2 ingy

ingy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

too right my first ever comp round after joining a club for the first time i was lumped with the oldest, rudest, most self righteous bunch of fuckwits i have ever met, "the old establishment" if you like. i was walking and they proceded to go to the next hole in their carts, tee off, then drive off down the fairway and await their second shots before i had even made it too the tee box then they would follow me around, trying to enforce "rules" which i subsequently found out were total bullshit and the list goes on. after that great first game i just about stopped at cash converters on my way home and dropped my clubs in and revoke my membership to never play again luckily for me, some mates i went to school with decided to join so we have a group that is fun now, we can have a laugh, have a few beers and actually enjoy our game. we are young, with young families so time is extremely valuable and cannot afford to be wasted with a bunch of dickheads ruining the only couple of free hours we have for the week, it's that simple, if they don't play, i don't play, i play to enjoy myself and have some fun

#3 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Nick2397, if I only had a regular 4 I would find that boring. We have a loose group of 16 with 10-12 turning up most weeks. Apart from the club comp, we have our own internal comp with the winner getting cash and the lowest score getting a shout. There are also two other loose groups mainly due to the time they want to play. Some of the reason we have our own group is what ingy has referred to. Our group is aged 35-45, we don't necessarily want to play with blokes who are 70 plus. Lots of the older boys are top blokes, just don't want to go around a stroke day with some of them. Cliques - good or bad. Neither, they exist everywhere not just at golf clubs. If a new member cant get a game that is a different issue but their proposer should be showing them around. Would only take a word from our pro and we would include anyone.

#4 4for4

4for4

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Like Malvern said, have a word to your pro Nick. Get him to help find you a suitable grouping. I had a similar experience when i first joined a club a year ago. I figured out now that i got lumped with the guys that nobody likes playing with in my first round and it almost turned me away from the club too but eventually found some guys with similar interests and we play together most Saturdays now. Yes the cliques, its human nature. If someone like yourself asked to join us though i would have no problems having a round with you and introducing you around the club. I guess its a case of speak up and let yourself be heard or forever hold your peace.

#5 Tomt

Tomt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

Nick and anybody else who's reading this.........it's a bit like serving an apprenticeship. Unless you've got a bunch of mates that already play - you have to be a little bit of a comp **** and play with whoever you get on the time sheet with - in time - and especially if you spend time in the club house - it won't be long before you get an invitation. I play amongst 15 -25 players at the end of the field - we all like to have a bet and a drink so it doesn't matter which group I end up in. You just have to do your time - and that can be from 1 month to 10 years depending on how big a pain in the arse you are.

#6 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38229 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

I've only played 3 comp rounds at my course since joining in March - really only did it so that I could get an official handicap - but the blokes I played with (didn't know any of them) were all good blokes. First round was with the President and one older guy plus another new member (young boy, probably around 13y.o.) - the young fella left after 9 holes. Second round I grabbed a spot with guys just a bit older than me (I'm 48) - lots of swearing (at themselves) and humour - really enjoyed their company. Last time I was in the first group off the tee - guys off 3,3 and 9 if I recall correctly - all younger than me - but put up with my particular brand of rubbish (I'm off 25) and were good company. But I can imagine quite well that they're all not as good as this.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23819 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:49 AM

Ours is only a small club and I'll play with anybody. But, yes, I do have mates that I prefer to play with if the opportunity is there. There are some other groupings that regularly have the same guys and we have one member who sometimes manages to rub people the wrong way (figuratively) but he's never left without a game. At our club we ALWAYS go in for a drink and chat afterwards, even though sometimes someone might have to hurry off. A good friendly and social group with ages from early twenties to 89.

#8 boxieboy

boxieboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:15 AM

I play with a regular 3, But when I first joined I just put my name down and played with whoever I was paired with. Have not had a bad round with anyone thus far. Main reason I play with a regular 3 is that we all have a drink afterwards and a bit of sledging and a few side bets. At every club there are always a few guys that have their little group that does not associate with any other group. That's just life....

#9 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11892 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

I play with a regular group on Saturdays. Sundays I play with whoever puts their name down with me. Last couple of weeks that has been a member of I Seek. You will always get these little groups that always play together It is human nature to want to mix with people you know.

#10 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

yeah, it can be tough my advice is to always try get in for a beer after the game, try and participate in the 20cent bets, and get chatting..... only a matter of time it all opens up.

#11 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3559 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:03 AM

I do similar to Pom. About a dozen of my workmates are members at my club and we usually get one, sometimes two groups on Wednesdays for the mid week comp. On Sundays (I'm a 6 day member and don't play Saturdays) I put my name down with different people each week. I've probably played with 40 - 50 different people over the last year or so. A very few, who were playing for sheep stations and acted accordingly, I'll avoid playing with again but the vast majority were great company. Great way to meet people and see different approaches to golf, different thought processes, styles of play etc.

#12 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

everyones different I spose, some fellas love to sqwark all day, some say nothing at all. For most im sure they find a pleasant group and settle in that one timeslot..is that a clique, i dunno. we welcome NEW members and encourage them to come back unless of course they are S L O WWWWWWWWWW, need to keep the pace up when off the first couple of groups

#13 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9860 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

I don't think cliques are good nor bad for a club. You either become a part of clique if it suits you, or you don’t if it doesn’t suit. Can't see any problem with cranky antisocial old pricks all playing together; at least they’re not inflicting their shitty attitude on anybody else : )

#14 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Nick –are you sure that you don’t play in a regular group each week at Yearing Meadows. Each time I have been there you seem to be with the same guys.

#15 Nick2397

Nick2397

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

Casualgolfer, I usually play early on Saturday mornings as I have commitments in the afternoon all year round, so I'm used to seeing or having a game with about the same dozen or so blokes that always hit off at a similar time. I also play on Thursday, which can be difficult at times to find a game if you don't have your own group of four, but usually I'm lucky (lucky being the main word) enough to tag along with a group of two or three other people. You couldn't give us a clue as who you are could you? Maybe we could have a game together one Saturday morning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users