11 replies to this topic

#1 stevepop

stevepop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

Used to love a 4BBB - until the new handicapping rules came in (in Australia). Now every 4BBB comp is accompanied by a Singles event in conjunction. This means the "team" aspect of a 4BBB is no longer. No advice can be given between partners - as there is a singles event too. I can understand why Club Captains do this - so they do not have to check all the cards after the round - the singles scores entered into the Club Computer will do all the handicapping for them. How many Clubs out there still run the old 4BBB events - with no singles in conjunction.

#2 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

Most clubs still do I think stevepop. Ours certainly do, only the aggregrate version have all cards handicapped.

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11841 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

We do 4BBB stableford and par and we don't bother scanning for any cards that may be eligible for handicapping. Compulsory handicapping has not yet been introduced - it was one of the items delayed in the last suspension of steps. If it is re-introduced, we will change our events to be 13-club events thus making them ineligible for handicapping.

#4 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

We still have the same old 4BBB type events and people certainly get their handicaps reduced in line with the new guidelines.No problems and no complaints that I've heard of to date. Some still don't understand that you only need 42 points and on the card 9 or more times but that's their fault for not paying attention.

#5 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6442 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

We do 4BBB stableford and par and we don’t bother scanning for any cards that may be eligible for handicapping. Compulsory handicapping has not yet been introduced – it was one of the items delayed in the last suspension of steps.

If it is re-introduced, we will change our events to be 13-club events thus making them ineligible for handicapping.

OldBogey
OoM#9

GolfLink

OlindaGolfClub

OB You don't handicap 4BBB cards??

#6 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

As far as I am aware compulsory handicapping is still required under the rules. The proposed changes may be in suspension, but the old requirement (42 points, 9 scores on the card etc) is still very much in force.

#7 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6442 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

As far as I am aware compulsory handicapping is still required under the rules. The proposed changes may be in suspension, but the old requirement (42 points, 9 scores on the card etc) is still very much in force.

Ditto Daves That's what I do

#8 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

The real issue is that under the not-as yet introduced handicap changes a player may fabricate their score on uncompleted holes when playing in a 4bbb format so as to provide a completed card for handicap. There's no provisions in the Rules of Golf for any player to make up his/her score on a hole. It's mandated cheating at the most basic level.

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11841 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

We do 4BBB stableford and par and we don’t bother scanning for any cards that may be eligible for handicapping. Compulsory handicapping has not yet been introduced – it was one of the items delayed in the last suspension of steps.

If it is re-introduced, we will change our events to be 13-club events thus making them ineligible for handicapping.

OldBogey
OoM#9

GolfLink

OlindaGolfClub

OB

You don’t handicap 4BBB cards??

For our club it has always been a novelty event and will stay that way.

#10 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6442 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

Well this is one occasion where we disagree. I view 4BBB comps as an opportunity to gain some revenge on those who wish to manipulate their handicaps. It is amazing how they can miscalculate in a 4BBB comp, especially when there is a decent prize on offer. Revenge shall be that of the handicapper on these occasions

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11841 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Ours is only a small club, Peg. No manipulators and no decent prizes. Although I have to wonder about _ Mick _ who joined us, got his 36 'cap and has put in very few cards since. Come on Mick, get those 20 scores into the system.

#12 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

Well this is one occasion where we disagree. I view 4BBB comps as an opportunity to gain some revenge on those who wish to manipulate their handicaps. It is amazing how they can miscalculate in a 4BBB comp, especially when there is a decent prize on offer.

Revenge shall be that of the handicapper on these occasions

You'd have to be very poor at maths not to be able to calculate your adjusted score for 4BBB Peg. If that's what you're finding then I guess it's because they haven't taken the time to read up on the new method of calculation . Have to admit that I still come across people who believe that you have to be on the card 12 times to get chopped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users