25 replies to this topic

#1 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

Has anybody had a look at what Greg Norman is doing at Grange on the east course ? I have heard he has started and wondering how things are going. Have heard it should be interesting.

#2 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Was there 2 weeks ago playing West, not much sign of anything happening yet.

#3 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

Was there 2 weeks ago playing West, not much sign of anything happening yet.

Thanks Shanks. Played the West a few times myself and found it very enjoyable. I look forward to playing more courses that Mike Clayton has been involved in. Port Fairy is great too. What do you think of the West compared to the pre Clayton days ( I never played it then ). I hear some members prefer the old but that is often the way isn't it.

#4 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

It is the way, old vs new, the West is far more open and enjoyable to play now. Prior it had a lot of ti tree that was very ball hungry and because it was narrow made you play very conservative off the tee. Now I think it is easier if you hit the right lines of the tee to score well, if you hit poor lines your score will be a little worse. On the old course if you hit good lines you score would be about the same as now but if you hit bad lines it would be a terrible score because you spent all day looking for balls and chipping out sideways. Claytons adage is width provides strategy and to get width sometimes the chainsaw is needed. It was terribly overgrown and did lack width, it is always a question, how much width is needed. Port Fairy is great, probably needs a few more Tiger tees to lengthen it, played it on a still day off the back and shot 1 over, 2 days later in a howling gale and shot 4 over. It is not that hard but has a wow factor and is very enjoyable to play. Last 2 holes are a little bit of a let down but that is what the configuration of holes and terrian gave them.

#5 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

Thanks Shanks First played Port Fairy about 7 years ago in the pouring rain and strong winds with my then 11 year year old son. Had a ball the course was great and made you forget the conditions. Last played it with the young fella at xmas on the calmest day ever with one of his mates - sensational

#6 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

The bulldozers and earth moving equipment is there. Moving a lot of earth on the eastern side near the dams.

#7 aussiegolfquest

aussiegolfquest

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

I have managed to play 5 of the courses Clayton has been involved with and all seemed great. The one that stood out the most though was The Lakes. Although I have never played any of the courses before Clayton has been involved with modifications, I had a member with me at The Lakes, who explained all the changes as we played. I must admit that I thought they were fantastic modifications. Opening up the course, relying on things found traditionally on the land, like large waste areas, really suited the course and the area it was located in. It is definetely something that most courses are looking at in any redesign work, especially trying to work more economically within the environment. The days of super green fairways and large areas of grass rough are gone, especially with the reliance on having a large water supply, except if you are Augusta National. Less is definetely more and we are starting to see this a lot more on courses globally.

#8 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

The bulldozers and earth moving equipment is there. Moving a lot of earth on the eastern side near the dams.

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Had the good fortune to be at Grange yesterday watching their vardon and took the opportunity to walk around and check out the new work on the East course. Wow ! Looks amazing thus far with sensational looking bunkers. Heard rumours it will have an ACR of 76 from the back and is getting a lot of interest from neighbouring clubs. All in all great for Adelaide to have another top course ( rumor of top 10 in Aust ranking )

#9 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Is Norman using Mike Clayton as a conduit for the work on the East?

#10 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

Is Norman using Mike Clayton as a conduit for the work on the East?

This is only a test.

????????

#11 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

Had a look around the East course recently and can't wait to have a round on it. The work done so far suggests it is going to special.

#12 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

Had a look around the East course recently and can’t wait to have a round on it. The work done so far suggests it is going to special.

Forgot the " be "

#13 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:42 AM

Apparently some of the new holes are now being used in the clubs modified course set up. Heading into Adelaide next couple of days and hope to have a look. Feedback around the traps is very positive.

#14 cummo_3

cummo_3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

played the temp course xmas eve, the par 3 2nd and par 5 third are great, the approach shot on the par 5 3rd is a beauty with front bunkers and a sloped green protecting it

#15 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

Thinking about doing an SA golf trip over the summer and have Glenelg and The Grange as reciprocal courses. Can anyone tell me if the works to the East course are completed yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users