19 replies to this topic

#1 Puji

Puji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:15 AM

Hey guys, I currently have a Nike Dymo Str8-fit with the standard AXIVcore UST 69gram stiff flex shaft. I am unsure about it's length at the moment, but I find that I get much more consistent results when i grip down 2 inches on the club. My question is; Does it make sense to commit to this by getting my current shaft cut down? Is this even possible? Or am I better off leaving the grip as is, but continuing to grip down when using the club? I have gripped down on my woods for a long time now and the other thread about driver head sizes sparked my curiosity. Also reading some articles about Tour players who do not use shafts as long as the standard 45+inches that us common folk use. What do you guys think?

#2 Reefer

Reefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:35 AM

Not an expert, but when I had the same problem my pro said if we cut a few inches off it it will change the characteristics of the shaft, his advice " just keep gripping two inch's down" I did and I do and it works for me.

#3 ingy

ingy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:24 AM

i've had my titleist driver cut down to 43.75 inches and it now does what it's told. some of the lengths of these new drivers are ridiculous (i've seen some in shops "standard" at 46.5 inches!!) if an amature at our level can honestly tell when 2 grams are missing, i'll eat my hat. if you get your pro to do it, he may even add a little bit of lead tape to the bottom of your club to achieve the same swing weight as it had originally, but i've never been able to tell the difference either way beats going and spending a tonne on a brand new shaft, without the clumsy feeling of having an extra 2 inches of club hanging out the back of your hands

#4 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

Cut the club and get the grip sizes sorted out. Get a better purchase on the club than gripping down on it as is, and the flex will hardly change.

#5 broso_md

broso_md

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:07 AM

Agree with the guru, I lopped an inch off mine a year or so ago then put it back on shortly after, made little, if any, difference to me.

#6 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1682 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:32 AM

I think most people would be better served with a shorter shaft and higher loft. Sadly most of them will never realise why they are so average off the tee.

#7 Puji

Puji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the input. Is it possible to measure the shaft while the club is assembled? My driver at the moment is 108.5cm (42.71 inches) in length from the tip of the grip down to the bottom of the ferrule. This must obviously not account for some of the shaft which is inside the head. I also have the club head set to 1* closed @ 9.5* loft. My average distance would have to be about 220 - 250m carry+ roll. I'm going to put this idea forward to my teacher (Bryan Ferguson) to hear his opinion!

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12115 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Fuji, sole the club on the ground at its normal angle. Measure along the shaft from the top down to where it would hit the ground if it was that long. Shaft length is its playing length which is different for different heads.

#9 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3215 posts
  • LocationRobe South Australia

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

I have been considering this for several days, after having struggled with my Driver of late. Using the #3 Wood instead was so much better and in discussion with club pro, forum posters and other club golfers among comments made was that #3 has a shorter shaft among other differences which have been assisting the improvement. Guru has pretty much confirmed my final decision and a shorter shaft will end up being on my Cobra S9.1 Cut the club and get the grip sizes sorted out. Get a better purchase on the club than gripping down on it as is, and the flex will hardly change.

#10 Puji

Puji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

OldBogey: thanks for the tip. I will re-measure when I get home. I think a great idea would be for me to purchase another shaft with the Str8-fit hosel, I can cut down the new shaft a couple inches. This will at least let me experiment with whether the shorter shaft might give me a little extra control (& confidence). I guess I am now in the market for an extra str8-fit hosel & ferrule and shaft. I like the UST AXIVcore 69g stiff flex shaft and will try to source another if it doesnt prove expensive/difficult. thanks for all the input everyone. If anyone has any information about what length the tour guys use, Im sure that will be very interesting.

#11 Puji

Puji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

UST Proforce V2 Shaft 0.350" tip Nike Str8-fit adapter 0.335" tip Hey guys, I was just wondering if the above two products are compatible? I dont think so as the tip diameters are different (0.350" vs 0.335") This shaft is the same shaft I have in my Nickent 4DX 3+wood. I also found the below shaft which seems to be going at a good price at the moment and is the same shaft in the driver at the moment; UST Mamiya AXIVcore Black 0.335" tip One last question; i noticed a few cheap 3wood shafts available on these forums. namely; Titleist Diamana Ilima 71 s-flex pullout 3 wood shaft what woudl be the drawbacks between getting a 3wood shaft installed (already shorter @ 42inches) vs getting a driver shaft and getting it cut down to the same length?

#12 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

Clubfitting Part 1 Just some back ground ideas in there that 'fit' this thread. There is a photo in there of centre hits for different club lengths that is telling. For higher handicappers the shorter shaft allows the sweet spot to be hit more often, hence longer shots on average. Of course a 45" driver out of the middle is going to go further as it will generate more clubhead speed. On average though you miss the sweet spot and you lose power and distance. Puji, get Bryan to suggest what shaft to go into the club. Each shaft has different characteristics and he would know how to tailor to your needed ball flight and clubhead best. You can shim a .335 into a .350 hosel but not the other way around.

#13 ingy

ingy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

puji, in terms of what length the tour guys use, the answer is, shorter than what we use most of the time! even bubba watson who is 6'3 and one of the biggest hitters uses 44.5 inch driver, that has to tell you something tiger has apparently used a 43.5 inch driver for most of his career, have a read of wishon's article below, particularly the last paragraph http://www.wishongol...lub_excerpt.php

#14 Puji

Puji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

guru: thanks a heap: that article was a great read; and the diagrams showing off centre hits vs. club length is exactly the evidence that I was after. at the stage, I am more than happy with 210m with my Driver. As long as the ball is still in play. I back myself with my 3 Hybrid and 4-5 Irons so long approaches aren't any more daunting to me as an approach with my 7 Iron. So this is an interesting path to pursue for some more Fairways per round. Bryan has given me some impact tape that I will be sure to use to emulate the figure 5 in the article you linked me to. ingy: I suspected as much! As far as I'm concerned there is no reason for me to need anything that is longer than a Tour pro. Which leads me to another question; If I am shortening my Driver, is it logical to do the same for my 3 Wood and my Hybrid? Or is it ok for my Driver and 3 wood to be roughly the same length? Thanks for all the input thus far! especially guru!

#15 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Say hi to Bryan for me when you next see him. Great guy. It's OK for driver and 3 wood to be similar as long as you are hitting the sweet spot of the 3 wood. Hybrids are popular because of the extra help the head gives to launch a ball - and the shorter than wood shafts means that nice half way house between a long wood and a shorter iron that you have to try harder to hit to get it up. Moral to the story is hit the sweet spot as often as you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users