207 replies to this topic

#16 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:42 AM

Phantom rough stats hmm let's see I started playing when I was about 8, I broke par for 9 holes at 10, got my first official h'cap which was 14 I think then at the age of 12 of was off 3, just after my 14th birthday I was off scratch. Got picked just after that for the junior state team. At 16 I was off plus 4 and was in the Australian both junior and senior teams at 16. Turned pro at 18 That's about it mate

#17 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3088 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

Right to lefter 16 years to win a major, must be soon for you then!

#18 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Right to lefter

16 years to win a major, must be soon for you then!

Haha yeah I guess tiger was a late bloomer too!

#19 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

At 16 I was off plus 4
How come you shot 1 over today then mate???

#20 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

Guessing the course may have been a tad harder.

#21 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:46 AM

At 16 I was off plus 4

You get worse as you get older

#22 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33023 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:49 AM

At 16 I was off plus 4

You get worse as you get older

I must be at my level now?

#23 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3088 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:50 AM

I second that, off 1 when 25 yrs old now off 6 and nearing 50.

#24 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33023 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:54 AM

I second that, off 1 when 25 yrs old now off 6 and nearing 50.

I wish I could say the same. :-((

#25 THE_PHANTOM

THE_PHANTOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:10 AM

Bowdo, Thanks for those stats but as we all know, it doesn't matter what your handicap is, e.g Nitties off plus 6 at 14 , Poulter off 2 at 20 when he turned pro. How many 18 hole competition rounds do you estimate you played before turning pro & how often & how many balls did you hit at the range. There must be amateurs on this site off high & low handicaps who probably go to the range twice a week & hit 100 balls at a time. Please give us some feed back. As Vijay said "I figured at 40 I must be doing something wrong" so he started hitting between 200 & 500 balls a day on his spare days & became the most winningest golfer of all time in his 40's. Plus he chipped & putted well.

#26 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Phantom it sounds like to me that you know what it takes to be a high class golfer. The practise really doesn't matter it all depends on your swing type ie vj is a flipper at the strike therefor he has to practise alot more because it's a timing issue where as someone like Westwood or kaymer has a square face past the hit so hitting balls is not needed as much but the short game will suffer a little. Horses for courses. I never could see the point in hitting 500 seven irons from a perfect lie, flat stance a 161m everytime as it only every happens once a year you have that number on the course when it matters. But in saying that I would play 36 a day everyday during school holidays. But the biggest practise you can do is on the couch at night playing that specific course over and over at least 20 times so when you get in that spot on that specific hole during the week, it's no big deal at all because your mind has already been there, therefor you know what to do and how to play that certain shot, this game is mental that's the most important thing. But I would still hit around 200 a day. And don't get fooled by the stuff you read in golf mags it's all made up. Tigers nickname is the ghost because he is never seen on the range. And your right about growing up in teams doesn't matter but if you can't get in your state team 18 I would go get a job. That level of play is so far away from competing for your livelihood it's not even funny.

#27 golfcore

golfcore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

Bowdo,

Thanks for those stats but as we all know, it doesn’t matter what your handicap is, e.g Nitties off plus 6 at 14 , Poulter off 2 at 20 when he turned pro.
How many 18 hole competition rounds do you estimate you played before turning pro & how often & how many balls did you hit at the range.
There must be amateurs on this site off high & low handicaps who probably go to the range twice a week & hit 100 balls at a time.
Please give us some feed back.

As Vijay said “I figured at 40 I must be doing something wrong” so he started hitting between 200 & 500 balls a day on his spare days & became the most winningest golfer of all time in his 40’s. Plus he chipped & putted well.

golf an infinite journey

Not trying to bite your head off mate, but i played alot of junior golf with nitties and there is no way in the world he was off plus 6 at 14. He was always a great player. He was a small kid, and used to play off about 4 - had a magic short game but couldn't hit it more than about 170-180 metres. But he used to say to all the older guys "You wait until i get bigger, i'll kick your arse". Eventually, he did. And he did.

#28 OnaBogeyTrain

OnaBogeyTrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

It is interesting to see that all the pro's mentioned have had a different journey before 'making it'. Bowdo clearly had a steep learning curve and went low early. Poulter off 2 at 20 and a struggling club pro, I think Norman only took up golf at 15. I wonder though what is the common ingredient(s) that set them apart from those that didn't make it??? What made them 'make it'. That would appear to be what we should search for. I'll never know but hope the kids do!!! Dcee2

#29 sdison

sdison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

It's called talent. And shitloads of it. No-one can go from being untalented to pro purely by hard work - there is a certain element of natural talent required, otherwise you'll just be another 5 marker at your local club.

#30 AB_LongGolfer

AB_LongGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

I reckon it is desire, commitment, determination and work ethic. Talent helps but talent can also be wasted by those who are lazy or weak minded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users