82 replies to this topic

#1 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:51 AM

Just noticed that my club has a ban on smoking. Which is great but I wonder how common this is. Cheers

#2 Chop Chop

Chop Chop

Massive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6993 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:02 AM

What was the clubs reasoning? By course you mean the actual course not the club house yeah. If your stuck in a cart with a smoker you ask them not to or make different arrangement, but in general being outdoors and separated by so much distance is smoking a problem? No and I don't see it happening at our club.

#3 blueshevy

blueshevy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:09 AM

I would love it. I can't stand having to clear away someone elses rubbish (butts) from around my ball when preparing for my shot. YUK! Dont really have much of a problem with them smoking per se, it's just they can't seem to take their muck away with them. I also understand that the filters aren't very good to mowers either.

#4 waldo65

waldo65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

i know a few years ago the yacht club I was a member at did that, due to a government healthway grant thing, in around clubhouse I think. maybe same deal? Not a smoker, but if someone wants a puff on the course, good luck to 'em, just please take your crap with you.

#5 OOBS

OOBS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:17 AM

I fully understand why some clubs want a SMOKE FREE environment. How many smokers do you see just drop their cigarette on the ground and then play their shot. Greens are fragile and a smouldering cig causes unnecessary damage every time. Then there is the fire risk in Summer associated with a butt which hasn't been fully extinguished and gets dropped in the rough. Apart from the disgusting stench of cigarette smoke which all too often wafts around the group when everyone is in close proximity to the smoker, there is the health aspect. Why anyone in this day and age still puffs on these stupid things when there is so much irrefutable evidence available that it will harm you, is hard to understand. As far as I'm concerned, bring in a blanket ban on all smoking in and around all golf facilities and the sooner the better. Some of the clowns who smoke might even thankyou for helping them quit.

#6 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:20 AM

Completely banned on the course. I wouldn't exactly campaign for it, but it's nice to smell the fresh air for 4 hours rather than 2nd hand smoke.

#7 Wodda

Wodda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1179 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:49 AM

Hallelujah!!!! Ban smoking everywhere, I say!!! Imagine the money saved in the Health sector alone!!! I reckon, if you choose to smoke you should have to pay FULL price for ALL health care!!!! And imagine not having to look at bloody butts everywhere....I'm bloody sick of having to scan the ground everywhere I go to ensure my 18 m.o. son doesn't pick up one of these filthy things and stick it in his mouth!!!!

#8 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5038 posts
  • Locationwerribee

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:54 AM

common guys toughen up a bit more and use a bit of ya brains while it would be good to see smoking banned in society its never going to happen i will call you stupid if you decided to stand in the way of cigerette smoke... dont come out and say why should i move becuase of a smoker if you have a smoker in your group and you know which way the wind is going go upwind of the smoker... sure its not good to see smoke butts on coarse and yes i think a smoker should respect that and carry a personel ashtray with them even if it is used beer can or soft drink can or bottle The only places a cigerette should be banned is indoors and around eating areas wether that be outside or in most smokers respect the wishes of non smokers but the non smokers have stuff all respect for smokers in life and guess what i dont smoke, i used to smoke 100 smokes a day gave up cold turkey... but i promised myself i wouldnt be a prick of a ex smoker.. some of you are like prescious pups and need wrapping up in cotton wool... i hope none of you drive vechiles becuase carbon di oxide can kill ya quicker then cigarette will in the open air a smoker can do what they want we non smokers can move to where the smoke doesnt bother us its not that hard people

#9 AUS

AUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:09 AM

Well said ozdevil, what other people do with their lives is entireley up to them.I don't like the overpowering smell of certain aftershaves and perfumes and i'll guarantee that some of the chemicals in those are carcinogenic should i petition to have the outlawed.@ wodda-Ben hogan always had a gasper in his gob so you may want to rethink your opinion of him. Chopper Read has a great saying and more "Aussies" should live life by it.

#10 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts
  • LocationThe Sandbelt

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:17 AM

Hyatt Regency Coolum and Moonah Links are two that I have played in the last couple of years who have blanket smoking bans on the entire course. Difficult to enforce.

#11 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5038 posts
  • Locationwerribee

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:59 AM

very difficult to enforce and we should be worring about other things happening on a golf course rather then who is smoking some people need to toughen up

#12 OOBS

OOBS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

Anyone in favour of smoking anywhere, anytime is a neanderthal dope. FULLSTOP!!! The only people to benefit from this pathetic habit are those with shares in the tobacco companies. If you can't give them up on your own, there are plenty of places you can turn to who can help. If you do stop, you'll look back at your decision as one of the best you ever made. In the mean time, I'll do as I do now when there's a smoker in my group, namely stay as far away from him as possible for the entire round!!

#13 waldo65

waldo65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:21 AM

Probably some insurance liability thing that in case a fire starts the course owners can say, well, not our fault we told them not to do it.

#14 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20124 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

most smokers respect the wishes of non smokers but the non smokers have stuff all respect for smokers in life
thats bullshit Oz smokers need to earn respect come to my club and look in the sand buckets on the racks every 2nd one has a butt in it, smokers are bone lazy, drop the wrappers every where, and dont start me on butts out the window or just chucked on the ground. believe it or not, all cars have ash trays. and don't you love it when some one empties their ash tray straight out on the ground You smokers are all filthy pigs.

#15 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5038 posts
  • Locationwerribee

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

Anyone in favour of smoking anywhere, anytime is a neanderthal dope. FULLSTOP!!!
The only people to benefit from this pathetic habit are those with shares in the tobacco companies.
If you can’t give them up on your own, there are plenty of places you can turn to who can help.
If you do stop, you’ll look back at your decision as one of the best you ever made.
In the mean time, I’ll do as I do now when there’s a smoker in my group, namely stay as far away from him as possible for the entire round!!

Practice doesn’t make perfect – it just ingrains bad habits.

thats your choice to do that oobs and probably the smart thing to do is keep away from him when he is smoking... common sense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users