16 replies to this topic

#1 mollyduke

mollyduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

Hi Guru, I'm left handed, play off 8. hit the ball normally with a slight draw. Even though my shots usually start left of the target with a slight draw, my divots still points slightly right. I hit the ball low so play the ball forward in my stance to gain a bit more height. Is the divot direction a sign of a major flaw in my swing?

#2 smAsh

smAsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1646 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

I am guessing a significantly closed clubface is causing the draw....strong grip etc?

#3 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

Slight inside out path with the face closed to that. If its really inside out, then work on your plane just a tad.

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24279 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:27 AM

Molly, what you describe is impossible. If you are getting a small draw to the right then that'll be to the right of club path direction at impact. If the initial direction is to the left of target, the club travel direction will be slightly left of that, not to the right. On the other hand, if you've found some way of overcoming the laws of physics, patent it, real quick. Because all the slicers out there will buy it from you and you'll never have to work again.

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24279 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

If you get a consistent small draw and you play off 8, there can't be much wrong with your swing. Be vary wary about changing it just because you don't like the look of divots.

#6 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

The swing path is curved so it is possible to catch the ball inside out and take the divot outside in. The divots on par threes in pro tournaments are mostly outside in.

#7 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

The swing path is curved so it is possible to catch the ball inside out and take the divot outside in. The divots on par threes in pro tournaments are all outside in.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24279 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

The swing path is curved so it is possible to catch the ball inside out and take the divot outside in.

The divots on par threes in pro tournaments are all outside in.

For tuition in Sydney call Paul Hart (TheDart} 0412 070 820.

Terry Hill’s, St. Michael’s or Milperra Driving Range

I'm intrigued, Dart. How can the club path be inside-out and its divot outside-in? It's simply impossible in the same stroke. Or is all this happening in some alternate universe?

#9 Ben85

Ben85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

I’m intrigued, Dart. How can the club path be inside-out and its divot outside-in? It’s simply impossible in the same stroke.

Paul already alluded to this above. The swing path is curved (i.e. an arc as opposed to a straight line). Therefore, the swing path would appear to be (in relation to the target line) in-to-out before low point and out-to-in after low point. If impact/separation occurred approximately at low point, the above illusion is certainly possible.

#10 mollyduke

mollyduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

#11 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:29 AM

Ben, That is right. Every swing is inside out and outside in at some point because it is somewhat circular, despite the OTT feeling most of us have. So on a dead straight shot the sweet spot would be on line at separation point and then left at every other point and the low point would be left of the target line. Most would have to hit a fairly heavy draw to get a straight divot and a really big draw to have the divot going right.

#12 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:22 AM

Deleted.

#13 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24279 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

Sorry, fellows, I didn't realise the poster had huge, extra long divots that change direction as he gouges out a gash in the ground. I was expecting the usual, short, maybe 6 inch divot at most.

#14 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Previous post deleted, rewritten here. Low point is outside the ball because it's down plane from the ball and the plane is inclined. The bottom of the arc is outside any other point on the arc. "After low-point the clubhead starts up and in, but the thrust continues down plane during follow-through." TGM, Introduction (1-L-15 ) This is where "Hit down, dammit" comes from. Probably not continuing down plane to both arms straight. The hands do not roll. You feel a roll, but you don't do it. The clubface closes constantly and consistently, if you let it, to both-arms-straight. (Def. "follow-through", clubhead still below the hands.) See Golf School article "Control your Clubface". Practice the Finish Swivel, a lead-forearm reverse swivel, radius over ulna when the clubhead passes the hands. The lead elbow folds down, it doesn't "chicken wing". It keeps the lead wrist flat, trail wrist bent. Lag (a bent trailing wrist) is never lost. It's the bridge between both-arms-straight follow-through and the Finish pose. Smile. Or look satisfied. "It's your bullet-proof vest for the links. As long as that holds not much can have gone wrong." Lynn Blake

#15 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Only a small point and not pursuant to most golfing problems but if low point is outside the target line, separation point must be heading right field somewhat and producing some sort of draw or push/cut. This is why I say that a straight shot would have low point left of target line therefore a slightly open plane line for a straight shot. An even smaller point is that the ball would not take off at separation point but the maximum compression point probably half way between contact point and separation point. Maybe 1/4 inch difference and 1/2 of one degree but, as Homer said, it all about precision. For most of us, splitting hairs. What else do you do with a skin full of glenmorangie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users