70 replies to this topic

#1 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

Hi ISGolters Any one contested a speeding ticket in court ? What's the Pros and Cons on contesting this in court ? I was booked at a steep slope 77 kmh at a 60 km zone. And there is a steep UP slope at the bottom of this road in Tindals Rd., Donvale. Any one driving down this steep slope will speed unless keeping a care full foot on the brake ! Any one care to suggest idea to mitigate the fine ? Chees.

#2 dcee

dcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

The courts will not accept an excuse you were going down hill. This is when the brake should be used most. Annoying I know. Paying the ticket seems the only option and probably the right thing to do. Dcee

#3 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16157 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

A bit of light reading from a similar post:- http://forums.iseekg...l-officers-here

#4 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

good luck mate, never contested one meself but it can be done. Was it ACA last night where people were pleading their case because they had a clean record for several years and got off because of that? One woman copped a speeding fine and wrote to the dept saying it was her 1st offence for 5 or so years and they waived the fine and issued her with a warning instead. Keep us posted.

#5 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16157 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

I got hit in the Burnley tunnel when they had road works (adjusted to 60 ks instead of the normal 80 ks at 11.30 pm) on the down hill section. You do have to be vigilant but fighting it on the fact it was on a down hill grade may not help a great deal.

#6 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16157 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

good luck mate, never contested one meself but it can be done. Was it ACA last night where people were pleading their case because they had a clean record for several years and got off because of that? One woman copped a speeding fine and wrote to the dept saying it was her 1st offence for 5 or so years and they waived the fine and issued her with a warning instead. Keep us posted.

Consultancy….if you’re not part of the solution, there’s big bucks to be made prolonging the problem.

Everyone is entitled to get a 'warning' if they have had a good previous driving record BUT it must be on the lower end of the scale of speed. I'm not sure that 77 in a 60 zone would cut it. On a pedantic note re the heading :- Police cars don't issue speeding fines; police members do.

#7 dcee

dcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

If you do have a clean record.... definately write in if they allow that sort of thing in your state. What's the worst that can happen? dcee

#8 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16157 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

At least you'll get an extension on your payment period.

#9 TheCommish

TheCommish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8267 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

Devils Advocate:- You know the area. You know it is downhill. You know the speed limit is 60kmh. You know you will do more than the speed limit if you do not apply your brake at some point if not more than once. Yet you do not apply the brake and exceed the speed limit. You are now the Magistrate. Would you let me off knowing the above. Add solicitors fees and court costs at the end of the day, whether you get off or not.... Will cost you more. I say a solicitor because the old adage always rings true. "A person who represents themselves before a court has a fool for a client." If you can find somewhere the Vicpol guidelines and protocols (I'm taking a stab that is where Donvale is) for use of Lidar radar enforcement, (if that is what they use in Vic) you may have a chance. NSW has specific guidelines now where hand held radar can be used and downhill grades need to be below a particular gradient, with a clear stopping path of I think 300 meters (don't hold me to it) otherwise they are not permitted to operate hand helds. Good luck

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11808 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

A long, long time ago, when I was a young fella, I worked in E Donc and rode a motorbike. Tindalls Rd was one of my favorite lunch-time spin runs. Only amphometers in those days and you could easily spot them. FF to today: 77 in a 60 and you're gone! 5Kph and you might get off with a warning.

#11 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

No Soup For You, Next!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12567 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

So if you only murder one person ......... are you entitled to get off with a warning because you've never murdered anyone before ........ say in the last five years?

#12 Bumpun_Beetle

Bumpun_Beetle

don't you member me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5285 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

So if you only murder one person …...... are you entitled to get off with a warning because you’ve never murdered anyone before …..... say in the last five years?

I believe nicotine plus caffeine equals protein (John Daly)

yes ...

#13 Bumpun_Beetle

Bumpun_Beetle

don't you member me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5285 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

This isn't a question specific to Elimb and I am certainly not having a dig, but to anyone who thinks they have been hard done by from a copper hiding behind bushes or going down a hill.... Q. Have you ever, in your life sped on a flat road by that same amount or more? Do you think all the times that you get away with speeding don't count for anything when you get done going down hill? Not much at all annoys me in this world, but one thing that gets my goat is when people whinge they got caught by a copper hiding behind abush or a bus stop or something like that. If they were speeding it shouldn't matter one lick of difference is the copper was playing like a funnel web spider or hovering 10 metres over the road wearing a pirate costume, if you are speeding you deserve to pay the fine. I am not saint, i have had my share of fines when I was younger but after working in the Civil Engineering and Traffic field for the last 10 years I know why roads are posted at the speeds they are, they aren't just made up by Governments to raise money they are done for your safety. enough of the holier than thou crap, but if everyone drove like they made getting to home to their family the number one priority there wouldn't need to be traffic police to fine us

#14 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

make sure you write in twice though, from my own experience they simply give a generic note first and respond to your reasosns second, best of luck but i dont like your chances

#15 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

Crap, I have been fined for speeding 4 times in my life, twice by fixed cameras that were positioned for the purpose of revenue raising, twice by hand held gizmos for the same purpose, it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with making money. I got some slight satisfaction from BPaying my last fine addressed to thieving c**ts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users