94 replies to this topic

#1 turboninja

turboninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

I played competition golf on the weekend with TWO bad tempered players. Two of my mates, from our usual group of four, were away. So two random guys joined us. They were decent golfers (teen h/cappers) but had dreadful tempers. Club throws, hitting bags, swearing (hardcore swearing - we had the 'c' word to describe most things, it would have been heard from two fairways away) My mates and I are used to a bit of swearing and the odd club throw, but these two blokes were WAY over the top. It spoiled the round. I know it should not effect my game, but it was a crap atmosphere and not much fun. What experiences have you had? What would you say is too much?

#2 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I agree that what you experienced is over the top and no one should have to put up with it. I understand that people will lose it when playing golf, everyone has their moments, hell, I've thrown clubs before, but you get certain people who i think would be better off just staying at home. I just try as best I can to steer clear of certain players from my course who I know can't control themselves. Experiences... Worst was a guy threw his putter from the green and it stuck in his hand so whipped around sideways past 2 of our heads. Would of missed the guy standing next to me by inches. That's probably the worse thing I've seen. Funniest was a putter being thrown from the green ended up stuck in some trees next to the next tee. Same guy ever so slightly miss hit his drive and threw his driver. Yep you guessed it, also got stuck in the same tree. He then proceeded to throw clubs at the other clubs to knock them down. End of the story is there was about 6 clubs in the tree after 5 minutes.

#3 HitDown

HitDown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

We have a player at our club that almost everyone refuses to play with. He's off 32, but it should be more like 102. That's fine, we all have our own abilities, but his expectations are to hit all fairways, greens etc. When he fails, which is virtually all the time, the hard core swearing and tantrums start. He blames everyone (except himself) for why we didn't hit the shot he wanted to. Not a fun day out being in a group with him...

#4 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9860 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

Played with a few club throwers and kickers : ) If I let other people upset me on the golf course I think that would say more about me than them. Club throwers, swearers, meh, it's not my job to tell them how to behave, that was mummy and daddy's job : ) Nothing is too much really, it is their broken shaft that will need fixing. I just relax and enjoy the show.

#5 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

I just ignore it..... I even laugh sometimes....which they will ask you what are you laughing at ?....hmmm.....what do you think? they usually behave after that.....as they relaise how stupid they look swearing once or twice is ok...OTT swearing needs to be challenged..some lite subtleness is the key......no point in throwing petrol on a fire.....
  • gitup likes this

#6 GordoNB

GordoNB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

I played a lot of golf with a member of our club in the 1970 s and he was a putter thrower and you never stood between the green and the next tee as the putter always went that way. He could play the game well too had a handicap of 2 but never won a club championship,always out under suspension,for club throwing.

#7 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

Agreed that subtlety is needed, if any Ladies or Juniors are playing nearby I would politely request they lay off the foul language. Probably stop walking with/talking to the offender, at the end of the game ask if he enjoyed the game ? (In the tone of it didn't bloody well look like it)

#8 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

I think just being subtle is the key...you dont need a sledghammer to put tacks in piece of wood

#9 GourmetSaint

GourmetSaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:15 PM

Unfortunately the bad language is becoming the norm in some of the "younger" generation and not just on the golf course. My adult stepdaughter is the worst...

#10 turboninja

turboninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

I have always thought that my reactions to bad shots should not effect other players around me. I whinge and whine sometimes (usually quietly to myself) but I am usually over it by the next tee. I just think if your temper, swearing, club throwing, impatience, even negative body language is effecting OTHER players then you should change the way you vent anger/frustration. I would always hope that at the end of a round I would get (and give) a firm handshake and a genuine smile. However, at the end of this particular round I wanted to headbutt both these knobs. On reflection I was wondering what clever, subtle tactics I could have used to improve things during the 4+ hours? ? ?

#11 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

Say "shot" after a particularly well thrown club. And you alluded to a beauty in your post TN, don't shake hands, that says a thousand words.
  • gitup likes this

#12 _anon_

_anon_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

I would always hope that at the end of a round I would get (and give) a firm handshake and a genuine smile. However, at the end of this particular round I wanted to headbutt both these knobs.

that's a laugh you should have only way to get through to some tossers

#13 _anon_

_anon_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

isg is contributing to the angry-man epidemic angry man

#14 Tone

Tone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

Unfortunately the bad language is becoming the norm in some of the “younger” generation and not just on the golf course.

here we go again... No it's not becoming the norm in younger generation and Yes I will say the same in 20 years! ;p

#15 parsandbirdies

parsandbirdies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4903 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

bad tempered golfers are much like frigid prostitutes there is no room for them. for every club you throw i believe the club should whack you back, its never the fault of the club its the 'C' swinging it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users